2018 LT RS that averages at 22MPG with a peak of 28...
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2018 LT RS that averages at 22MPG with a peak of 28...

2018 LT RS that averages at 22MPG with a peak of 28...

Hey all,
    So I noticed something "weird" with my Cruze. I usually drive a little over the speed limit and my drive to and from work is about 10 minutes each way. I drive, on average, an hour everyday (excluding weekends). I only have ~750 miles on my vehicle. My question is, what is causing me to have such low MPG? I've seen folks here with MPGs in the 30s and 40s... Yet I average at 22 and peaked at 28. No aftermarket items are installed on the car short of a subwoofer. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Hidden Content
    Be a Pathfinder.
    Make Your Own Way And Own It.
    Become The Future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    You have a brand new Cruze with wide heavy wheels and tires, and a subwoofer, that you drive on short trips exceeding the speed limit....That's what's causing it. In addition to the issue of weather or not your DIC was ever reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    You have a brand new Cruze with wide heavy wheels and tires, and a subwoofer, that you drive on short trips exceeding the speed limit....That's what's causing it. In addition to the issue of weather or not your DIC was ever reset.
    I only have 16" rims (stock) with the stock Hankook tires. Subwoofer(Rockford Fosgate P3 12") is not even 10lbs, and 5-10 over the speed limit (fastest being 70MPH maybe once a week) I wouldn't think would cause such a drastic change in MPG off of the advertised amount. I don't know what a DIC or whether it was reset. I got the car when it only had, if I remember correctly, 15 miles on it. So nearly 100% of those miles we're by me. Could you help me understand how those factors would impact MPG so much?
    Last edited by Gameverseman; 06-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Be a Pathfinder.
    Become The Future.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

My in-town mileage (stoplight/sign every block, lots of stop and go) is somewhere in the low to mid 20's usually. <5 mile trips that usually take 15-20 minutes. If your driving is anything like mine, you're doing what I'd expect.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    My in-town mileage (stoplight/sign every block, lots of stop and go) is somewhere in the low to mid 20's usually. <5 mile trips that usually take 15-20 minutes. If your driving is anything like mine, you're doing what I'd expect.
    My commute is similar but I only stop at 3 lights tops.
    Hidden Content
    Be a Pathfinder.
    Become The Future.

Super short trips like that are murder on gas efficiency. I'd bet that's your #1 culprit like Maven and blackburn have said. You've checked obvious things like making sure your tire pressure is good right?

To test, I'd take it out on the highway and drive 20 or 30 min. If you're not getting 30-40 mpg there then you might need to take it to the dealer to check it out. If you're not throwing any codes though they're gonna send you on your way most likely and tell you what we're telling you here.

I find my sweet spot for gas mileage on the highway is around 65-70 mph. I can approach 50 mpg there. If I'm up in the 70-80mph range I'm usually in the low to mid 30s.

4th Gear
    Sorry, I forgot that some of the RS cars had small wheels, my Redline has 18s.

The DISC is driver information center. If it hasn't been reset from before you started driving it could be displaying lower than actual MPG. It's very common for cars to come off the dealer lot with single digit lifetime fuel economy.

The big culprit is the short trips with multiple stops.(the higher speeds don't help either)

My hatchback has the bigger spoiler, the bigger wider wheels and tires, and on a commute of 21 miles, I have a section that's 14 miles long uninterrupted and I run at 50mph. Car LOVES that, I routinely see 50mpg+ averages on that road. Add back in the mpg from my slower neighborhood area with 5 stops signs(about a mile of 30mph) and a few miles at 65mph and another stop sign or three and my mileage for any given day drips down to 38-40mpg.

Lifetime average on my car at 15000 miles is I believe 33mpg. 28mpg probably during the winter I where I run
    a defrost I all the time, and 38mpg during spring where I run windows down mostly.
    I NEVER go on trips less than 10 miles, I don't sit in any notable traffic, and I don't exceed 65mph. Probably 65% of my miles are 50mph back roads car loves that.
    Last edited by Ma v e n; 06-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.

5th Gear
    Mine with automatic gets miserable mpg until the transmission gets warm enough (2-3 miles) to lock the torque converter. Then it gets unimpressive mpg for another 5+ miles, after that everything is hot and ready to rack up some bigger than EPA numbers. Switching to 0W20 oil didn't change that, it just isn't ready to go over 40mpg at 60mph until it's warmed up for a few minutes.

Also, I suspect but don't know that the Kinergy tires on most of the RSs have more rolling resistance than the Assurance tires on the non-RS. (My 2017 RS has the Assurance so I can't compare directly)
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

Yeah I mean these are small, lightweight cars with very efficient direct injection engines. If you're averaging in the 20s for mpgs there is either something wrong w the car, or you're driving too aggressively. Not much of a grey area there honestly.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Mine with automatic gets miserable mpg until the transmission gets warm enough (2-3 miles) to lock the torque converter. Then it gets unimpressive mpg for another 5+ miles, after that everything is hot and ready to rack up some bigger than EPA numbers. Switching to 0W20 oil didn't change that, it just isn't ready to go over 40mpg at 60mph until it's warmed up for a few minutes.

Also, I suspect but don't know that the Kinergy tires on most of the RSs have more rolling resistance than the Assurance tires on the non-RS. (My 2017 RS has the Assurance so I can't compare directly)
    18 Redline with 18s, Michelin MXM4s I think.
    I run 5w30 in mine.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)