1981 Camaro Z28
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: 1981 Camaro Z28

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion

1981 Camaro Z28

So I have a new project car added to my fleet.

It's an '81 Camaro Z28, which my uncle (who lives in LA) bought brand new, so I am the second owner.

For years, all the car has done is sat and sat. Looking at the plate, the registration sticker shows 2013, and that was probably just to move it somewhere. Back in 2007, when I was looking for my first car, my uncle had intended to give it to me. An intention my mom
    may have failed to relay to me - probably for the purposes of wanting me to get something other than a Camaro for my first car.

I ended up buying an '86 IROC-Z, so that tactic didn't quite work.

Fast forward nine years - my uncle and I finally got around to making good on readying the car for shipment after having discussed for the past few years. The car was picked up on May 30th.

Four nights later (6-3-16), it was dropped off in front of my house.

The car has the LG4 305, with a whole 165HP and 245 lb-ft of torque - but it does have the 4-speed.

My uncle did not buy the 350 simply because it could not be had with a manual (except in Canada). It's got nearly every option other than the 350, though; AC, power windows, t-tops, etc.

Mileage isn't really known - my uncle guesses around 120k miles. At some point, he disconnected the speedometer cable (for some reason or another), so the mileage isn't accurate.

The car has a bunch of solid '80s or '90s sound equipment - Pyle 8" woofers and 4" midranges (can't determine the brand yet - but they're made in Norway) in the rear deck, with a Zapco class AB amplifier mounted to the deck as well. The center console bin also houses a Zapco Pre-amp/equalizer. There are JVC ribbon tweeters in the door, and a Kenwood tape deck that hides behind a fake AM/FM radio cover.

Other than that, it's definitely stock. The paint is pretty rough - my uncle went a bit too far with an buffer and burned through all the layers of paint, years ago.

Can't say I don't dig the look, though. It has some minor damage on the right side, on the door and the quarter panel, and a little bit of rust on the bottom of the passenger door and under the trunk lip - and rust holes right at the front of the hood. The rest is just surface rust - from what I can tell, the car is pretty solid.

Also - on an unrelated note - I take a lot of pictures, so, don't be surprised.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion
    6-4-16

After getting back from the car show my brother and I attended, I was only able to check the car out a bit and pull it into the garage before storms were coming in. But I did get some preliminary pictures.

The fleet, thus far.

Bit of a tight squeeze compared to the other cars. It's 17.3" longer than my Cobalt.
    Chris Tobin likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion
    6-5-16

Something making itself at home between the carb and the distributor.

New master cylinder - this was done just before shipping the car, along with the rear wheel cylinders.

Radio

Tweeter

Trunk full of ****

Rear package tray

This needs to be remounted

Underbody
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion
    6-8-16

Pulled the trunk carpet out to vacuum it, as well as underneath. Looks plenty clean. And yes, it needs new torsion rods, hence the obligitory broom handle.

Pulled the air cleaner assembly off. Closer view of the nest.

Vacuumed all the debris underhood, in the weatherstrips, trunk jambs, door jambs.

Vacuumed the nest out

Before calling it a night, cleaned the exterior surfaces of the glass

Chris Tobin likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion
    6-11-16

Spent the day (95 degrees and in the sun) doing a serious cleaning on the interior. Pulled the seats out (those rear seat cushions were a ***** to remove and put back in) to really make sure I did as thorough of a job as I wanted. Cleaned all the interior plastic everywhere, vacuumed the seats and cleaned the vinyl as well.

Pictures of the rear deck setup

Passenger seat removed. Carpet is definitely not as gross as the Cav's, but it's not clean either.

Seats in the garage

Rear seats back in, carpet vacuumed

Engine bay, air cleaner assembly removed
    Chris Tobin likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion
    6-11-16 continued

Interior back together and clean. Other than the driver's seat, and a couple other misc parts, the interior is in pretty great shape. And now it's not dirty.

Pictures of the car, overall.

Chris Tobin likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

MP81 is online now [OP]
    Touring Champion
    6-12-16

Washed the car, so at least it won't be dirty whenever I touch it.

Waxed it too, well, what I could wax. It's hard to apply wax to metal lacking paint.

It does look cleaner though (something my wife noticed, at least), so that's a plus.

Chris Tobin likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Nicely done. A buddy of mine has a 1980 or '81 Berlinetta with the 4.4 / 267 and THM.

Got to drive it a handful of times in the summer of '85 when he was too drunk or hungover to do so himself.
    MP81 likes this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1996 Impala SS (21.5 years / 27,878 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Dang that is cool, love this style.
    MP81 likes this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by jblackburn Hidden Content
    I always find it funny that you can find sports fans all over the country that universally hate:
    -The Cowboys
    -The Patriots
    -Duke

Retired Moderator

Very cool car. have you been able to drive it?
    MP81 likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)