HowTo: Gen II (2017) Dash Cam w/fuse tap install
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HowTo: Gen II (2017) Dash Cam w/fuse tap install

mumbogray is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

HowTo: Gen II (2017) Dash Cam w/fuse tap install

Jump to post 13 for the tutorial

Hey everyone! I have had my 2017 Cruze for about a month, and am looking to "permanently" install my dash cam. It is a N2 Pro.

I purchased a Vivocation Vico-plus, as I have heard it's the best at preserving battery life whilst offering parking mode. The Vico requires 2 fuse taps: ACC, and constant/always on.

Does anyone have any experience with the best fuses to tap? The diagram is on pg. 299-300 of the 2017 owners manual.

I was thinking f33 -mobile phone wireless charger/dc ac converter for ACC. And f35 -Onstar for constant. I'm unsure if this is ACC and Constant, but they are my best respective guesses looking at the fuse diagram. F22 -trunk release might work instead of onstar for constant. Interestingly f29 does not show that it is used, but I don't have a voltage meter to check for power. I will be using add-a-fuse taps.

The legality of windows suction mounts in my state is iffy, and I plan to mount to my dash to be on the safe side. I plan to have a 1' exposed wire running from my fuse box to the mount, with cable holders to keep it pretty enough. Am I going to have enough space to tuck the Vico, cigarette plug, and 6' of cabling somewhere under the dash, by access of the removed fuse box panel? I'm hoping I wont have to start pulling other panels to find space. The car is under warranty, so keeping the install and fuse access clean is important, I don't want any raised eyebrows at the dealer.

Plan to install Sun/Mon. Will post pics.
    Last edited by Blasirl; 02-22-2019 at 07:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Welcome Aboard!

Try Blend Mount and I was only able to find one fuse tap myself, many names and sellers, but the same Chinese fuse tap.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Quote Originally Posted by mumbogray View Post
    Hey everyone! I have had my 2017 Cruze for about a month, and am looking to "permanently" install my dash cam. It is a N2 Pro.

I purchased a Vivocation Vico-plus, as I have heard it's the best at preserving battery life whilst offering parking mode. The Vico requires 2 fuse taps: ACC, and constant/always on.

Does anyone have any experience with the best fuses to tap? The diagram is on pg. 299-300 of the 2017 owners manual.

I was thinking f33 -mobile phone wireless charger/dc ac converter for ACC. And f35 -Onstar for constant. I'm unsure if this is ACC and Constant, but they are my best respective guesses looking at the fuse diagram. F22 -trunk release might work instead of onstar for constant. Interestingly f29 does not show that it is used, but I don't have a voltage meter to check for power. I will be using add-a-fuse taps.

The legality of windows suction mounts in my state is iffy, and I plan to mount to my dash to be on the safe side. I plan to have a 1' exposed wire running from my fuse box to the mount, with cable holders to keep it pretty enough. Am I going to have enough space to tuck the Vico, cigarette plug, and 6' of cabling somewhere under the dash, by access of the removed fuse box panel? I'm hoping I wont have to start pulling other panels to find space. The car is under warranty, so keeping the install and fuse access clean is important, I don't want any raised eyebrows at the dealer.

Plan to install Sun/Mon. Will post pics.
    I have a writeup done for my Gen1 Cruze, but it's still relevant for the Gen2 regardless. You can find it here: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137-...magic-pro.html

You can freely experiment with the fuses to find which ones will work okay for you. For the ACC I went with the cigarette lighter. On the Gen1 Cruze (probably same with the Gen2) it's only powered when the key is on. For Always On power I went for the same as you suggested, the OnStar fuse. Both for me work with no problems.

As for removing panels and such to hide the wire, that won't be an issue. There's no proper reason for a dealer to deny any sort of warranty work because you've removed a panel or pulled back some internal weather stripping/rubber seals to hide a dashcam wire. In my writeup you'll see where I've run my wires.
    BRUZER
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel | Crystal Red Tint Coat /w Cocoa Leather Interior | Safety and Convenience Package

Modifications
    20% Window Tint All Around
    OEM Fog Light Install
    Hidden Content /w Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Equipment
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    F33 dash is a good choice for ACC power if you don't have the wireless charger. F29 is same (retained accessory power) but it feeds the rear USB port.

F11 dash is for the sunroof. I would use that before I used Onstar. The OnStar circuit is lower amperage and the OnStar module is integrated into the safety and operation system of the vehicle. Unless someone is deleting OnStar I don't recommend screwing with it's circuits.
    Taxman likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post
    Welcome Aboard!

Try Blend Mount and I was only able to find one fuse tap myself, many names and sellers, but the same Chinese fuse tap.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

Thank you will do!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveTrash View Post
    I have a writeup done for my Gen1 Cruze, but it's still relevant for the Gen2 regardless. You can find it here: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137-...magic-pro.html

You can freely experiment with the fuses to find which ones will work okay for you. For the ACC I went with the cigarette lighter. On the Gen1 Cruze (probably same with the Gen2) it's only powered when the key is on. For Always On power I went for the same as you suggested, the OnStar fuse. Both for me work with no problems.

As for removing panels and such to hide the wire, that won't be an issue. There's no proper reason for a dealer to deny any sort of warranty work because you've removed a panel or pulled back some internal weather stripping/rubber seals to hide a dashcam wire. In my writeup you'll see where I've run my wires.

Thanks for the reply. Great write up, I've looked over it a few times in the last week . Glad to know no major differences for the Gen2.. However I dont see a specific fuse for the cigarette lighter. In my case, f34 is -Parking assist/Sideblind zone alert/Infotainment/USB, which I don't think I should use. Good thing this car has a bunch of potential taps .

Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    F33 dash is a good choice for ACC power if you don't have the wireless charger. F29 is same (retained accessory power) but it feeds the rear USB port.

F11 dash is for the sunroof. I would use that before I used Onstar. The OnStar circuit is lower amperage and the OnStar module is integrated into the safety and operation system of the vehicle. Unless someone is deleting OnStar I don't recommend screwing with it's circuits.

I do have the wireless charger installed. Would f33 be a worse option if I have this? I will be using add-a-fuse adapters, so the original fuse + a second fuse for the vico/cam will both be connected. I figured this is the least used ACC fuse I have. I regularly plug my phone in for AA.

As for f29, it is definitely listed as blank in my manual. I do not have a rear USB port, I have a rear 3 prong US wall adapter (on the back of my center console). Any chance they would have changed the fuse connection with this change? or is f29 actually in use and they do not say?

Your warning about the Onstar fuse definitely has me ready to use f11, as long as it is constant. Do you have a link on the amperage circuits of different fuses? I didn't realize this was an issue. I'm currently in the onstar trial.. it would also suck to pull the Onstar fuse and have all the alarms go off!

Formula One Champion
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

4th Gear
    The retained acc. power relay feeds the F4 circuit breaker , F30,F33, F29 and F31 dash fuses.

F33 power both the wireless charging port AND the 110V AC outlet. I'd avoid it F29 is safest bet in for ACC power in dash.

For constant power, F11 only powers the sunroof. And is protected by a 20amp fuse in use.
    F19 (7.5a)would also be a good choice, it only provides power to the data link connector.

Driver's Ed
    I'm almost finished with the install. I ran out of usable light, but everything is wired and working. Tomorrow I will pretty it up, and get all the settings fine tuned, then update the first post.

In the meantime, I'd like to know if everything looks OK, before I make it a how-to of sorts.

I took the recommendation of using F19 and F29 (thanks again for the help!) for constant and ACC respectively. The manual for the Vico says to use 10a fuses and below, but their setup uses "wire-binding" wire rapping, not add-a-fuse circuits. Still, F19 and F29 are 7.5a and 5a respectively.

I followed the setup below for the add a fuse. I put the original fuse in the "red" slot, and the new fuse in the "blue" slot. I matched the amps for the fuses, so F19 is 7.5a original +7.5a constant Vico, and F29 is 5a original+5a ACC Vico. It is not my img below, pulled from a very helpful post online. I did not have a multimeter to check the correct 12v battery side, so hoping someone can double check that.

2upahs7.jpg

The Vicopower has what appears to be inline fuses on both the ACC and constant cable wires as well. In the manual, it states that constant does have a 2amp fuse, but does not mention the ACC wire. Am I per chance putting too many fuses in this circuit? I'm not sure if I need to flip the constant fuse 180 degrees as mentioned above... the original fuse numbering was "upside down."
    IMG_20190210_161831.jpg IMG_20190210_164129.jpgIMG_20190210_172737.jpg

The ground wire was the most difficult part of the whole install. There is only one bolt in the fuse box area. Again I do not have a multimeter to check for proper ground. Hoping someone else who has done a similar install can confirm that this is grounded properly. It is a metal on metal connection, but there is plastic right under it. When all was said and done, it looks like the ground wire is touching the plastic, but I was able to slide a small piece of paper in between it and the plastic part. I do not believe it is touching the plastic.

IMG_20190210_164418.jpgIMG_20190210_170820.jpgIMG_20190210_170852.jpg

At the moment it looks like this IMG_20190210_182252.jpg

There is a service bulletin for the 2017 Cruze fuse box. Both the manual and the diagram on the fuse box panel are incorrect. https://gm.oemdtc.com/7022/16-na-275...hevrolet-cruze This link has correct fuse layout. I believe it is the same as in the 2018 manual. The F29 fuse in the service bulletin does show a 5A fuse for USB Charge. However as I do not have the rear USB, and the front USB is powered by F34, is F29 actively powering anything in my car, despite being part of the relay?

Thanks again for the help so far
    Last edited by mumbogray; 02-10-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Driver's Ed
    I have the install and settings pretty much where I want them. Everything looks clean, if not a little busy. I ordered a multimeter, so I will double check my ground and fuses in a few days. It is probably not a big deal if the add-a-fuse circuits are in series, but I would prefer to make sure they are parallel, just in case.

I'm having problems with constant power. Everything looks good, turn the car off, open and close the driver door, lock car. It works for 10-20 minutes, after which my Vico power plus reads this: IMG_20190211_181703.jpg

I currently have the shutoff set to 12.4v. I was hoping I would get at least a few hours with this. I do not want to set it too low, and accidentally mess with the stop/start. The Vico manual recommends using a multimeter to correctly read and set the voltage offset while the car is off. As I cant do this yet, the offset is just 0v. When the car is on, the steering wheel display and Vico both read the same voltage, somewhere between 13.5-15v.I doubt it is a problem with offset. More likely, I'm thinking the datalink fuse might not actually be constant instead operating in some RAP mode? Or my battery is idling at too low a voltage when turned off? The dash cam is supposed to auto-engage parking mode after 10mins of no activity. Could that 10 minutes be draining the voltage that much? Hoping for some pointers in the right direction here.
    Last edited by mumbogray; 02-11-2019 at 06:48 PM.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbogray View Post
    I have the install and settings pretty much where I want them. Everything looks clean, if not a little busy. I ordered a multimeter, so I will double check my ground and fuses in a few days. It is probably not a big deal if the add-a-fuse circuits are in series, but I would prefer to make sure they are parallel, just in case.

I'm having problems with constant power. Everything looks good, turn the car off, open and close the driver door, lock car. It works for 10-20 minutes, after which my Vico power plus reads this: IMG_20190211_181703.jpg

I currently have the shutoff set to 12.4v. I was hoping I would get at least a few hours with this. I do not want to set it too low, and accidentally mess with the stop/start. The Vico manual recommends using a multimeter to correctly read and set the voltage offset while the car is off. As I cant do this yet, the offset is just 0v. When the car is on, the steering wheel display and Vico both read the same voltage, somewhere between 13.5-15v.I doubt it is a problem with offset. More likely, I'm thinking the datalink fuse might not actually be constant instead operating in some RAP mode? Or my battery is idling at too low a voltage when turned off? The dash cam is supposed to auto-engage parking mode after 10mins of no activity. Could that 10 minutes be draining the voltage that much? Hoping for some pointers in the right direction here.
    Making sure the addafuse is oriented properly is necessary to make sure it "works" properly. If you have it backwards and there's an issue, the smaller amperage fuse will blow, no mater which slot it is in.

The 7.5A F19 dash fuse is constant B+. It's powered by the 100amp fused output of position #2 at the battery power distribution block in the trunk.

The voltage present at the Fuse is potentially just dropping below your 12.4V cutoff. You'll find out when you get your meter.
    I routinely see B+ drop below 12.4 when measured in the car during key off diagnostic procedures. I typically don't bother putting a power supply on it til it's around 11.8v, the difference is I'm in a repair bay with a power supply available. You'll need to take some measurements and do some experiments to determine the cutoff you feel comfortable with based on your exact situation

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now