Manual Transmission Howl 2011 Eco 6 speed, anyone else?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Manual Transmission Howl 2011 Eco 6 speed, anyone else?

Driver's Ed

Manual Transmission Howl 2011 Eco 6 speed, anyone else?

the car: 2011 Eco 6 speed manual, 988xx miles

For the past couple of thousand miles I've started to get a howl in first gear and a faint howl on the highway in sixth gear. It sounds very similar to when the rear end of a rwd car/truck is going bad. At first I assumed it was truck traffic and their howling rear ends, but then I realized it was only really loud-ish in first gear.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had a problem with the manual transmission in these? I don't have a service manual so I'm not sure how the transmission is set up so that the noise would only be apparent in 1st and 6th gears.

I've got an appointment set for the 27th...I will be within 200 miles of the magic 100K warranty expiration at that time, so I really hope they are able to diagnose and repair or else I'll be trading this puppy in very soon.
    2011 Cruze Eco, 2005 Bonneville GXP, 2002 Firehawk Formula, 1974 Firebird Esprit

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

There have been a few reported failures, just like any other machine.....things fail.

Good news for you is you are still within powertrain coverage.....your description is a mainshaft bearing failure.
    There are no parts available for this trans beyond seals and small components.

You'll be getting a complete, new transmission if the shop has no problem hearing what you are experiencing.

If the clutch is original I'd give serious consideration to replacement since the trans is removed on GM's dime and your out of pocket labor would be minimal......making lemonaid from a lemon if you will.

Rob
    obermd likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There have been a few reported failures, just like any other machine.....things fail.

Good news for you is you are still within powertrain coverage.....your description is a mainshaft bearing failure.
    There are no parts available for this trans beyond seals and small components.

You'll be getting a complete, new transmission if the shop has no problem hearing what you are experiencing.

If the clutch is original I'd give serious consideration to replacement since the trans is removed on GM's dime and your out of pocket labor would be minimal......making lemonaid from a lemon if you will.

Rob
    Thanks for the reply Rob...Believe me, I know things fail, not trying to make a capital case out of it...although my Cruze has been extremely poor regarding reliability. I keep telling myself I just happened to get a bad one, my first unreliable new GM car out of 6.

I am a little surprised they aren't rebuilding these on some level or another. I suppose it isn't an economical proposition for dealers to do that these days.
    2011 Cruze Eco, 2005 Bonneville GXP, 2002 Firehawk Formula, 1974 Firebird Esprit

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Agree about the rebuild observation.....evidently when doing a part/labor computation it was determined exchange was the more economical way to go.

Good news for you is the unit has probably undergone several component improvements since 2011 and you are the beneficiary.

Keep in touch,
    Rob

Administrator

Bearing failures. Have you kept up on fluid replacements in that transmission? The transmission requires a fluid replacement every 45k miles. GM has also updated their specification from a previous 1.8 quarts to 2.4 quarts, likely due to these bearing failures.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Off-Road Champion
    Interesting story, my cobalt had the 100,000 mile warranty. At 98xxx miles I broke my trans. When I took it in to have them diagnose it, they called and said your car will be ready in two weeks. I was like WTF it takes 2 weeks to diagnose a trans? I got a phone call to come and take a look at my car and meet with the service dept. I got there and the GM regional warranty rep was there uhoh! The service director, the tech, my advisor, the regional warranty rep and I were at my car Which at the time started as a crank window N/A 2.2 M/T Cobalt. Is now a twin charged , built head with cams, clutch flywheel, solid motor and trans mounts, lightweight pulleys, nitrous (75), full suspension, short shifter etc. The regional rep asked me to explain my mods so I did. The tech started laughing and everyone else proceeded to laugh as my fate hung in the balance. The rep ask me seriously what do I want, I asked what can we do. He told me they WOULD COVER IT! He said because my father worked there for 15 years and I never asked for the favor they gave it to me. But he finished by saying "Dont ever ask for a favor in my region while I am working". Well that was cool except after it was replaced because everything shattered including the case, the car wouldnt want to go in to gear when it was really hot out. So i traded the car in a month after the trans got replaced. Sometimes you get a surprised. So in summation GM warranty is like a box of chocolates.

Learning about my Cruze Gonzo74's Avatar
    My 2012 eco manual says nothing about 45k maintenance on the manual transmission. I also took mine in at 70k for the tranny whine in 5th and 6th gears at 55-63 mph , and they told me that the fluid was fine and nothing had failed. Refused to repair. I will be returning at 85k since the whine is very noticeable these days at 81k. There are many examples of people on this forum getting their's replaced, so I wish you luck.

After you get a new transmission, do it a favor and swap it out for 2.5 quarts of Amsoil Synchromesh ASAP and change it out every 45k miles. The factory fluid IMO just isn't good for this transmission.
    obermd likes this.
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo74 View Post
    My 2012 eco manual says nothing about 45k maintenance on the manual transmission. I also took mine in at 70k for the tranny whine in 5th and 6th gears at 55-63 mph , and they told me that the fluid was fine and nothing had failed. Refused to repair. I will be returning at 85k since the whine is very noticeable these days at 81k. There are many examples of people on this forum getting their's replaced, so I wish you luck.
    Download the current (2014 or 2015) owners manual from Chevy and use the service intervals in there. Our 2012 owner's manual leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to routine maintenance.
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Learning about my Cruze
    I'm at 66k miles and noticing the whine/howl in 5th/6th on my eco 6M. I wasn't aware that I had a chance of a trans replacement based on this noise - at least i have time to check it out. Good read!
    2013 ECO 6M
    Mods: ZZP intake and catless midpipe, mild HPT tune (MAF trims and 17 psi peak), ZZP FMIC kit, BNR catless DP
    Future: Bilstein coilovers, 20-22psi tune, Watt's link/rear brake swap.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)