2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L PCV System Explained - Page 11
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L PCV System Explained

Group B Rally Champion

Take a look at the link I posted in #89. In those systems, the air is restricted when it goes from the crankcase to the intake, so there's no code if you leave the oil fill cap open on them. Ours seems to be designed differently, but I still think there's a fresh air intake somewhere.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    No, PCV systems take in air from the crank case, which IS metered and accounted for because it was metered when it got there in the first place. Furthermore, PCV gas is already-combusted air that does not contribute to the air-fuel ratio.

Remove your oil fill cap, screw it on cross-threaded so there's a gap, and let me know how long it takes before your engine throws a check engine code for unmeterd air. There is no air being ingested through that burst disk. If you were exhausting positive pressure, you would see oil all around the vent opening.

The positive, in PCV refers to the blowby gas produced by combustions and imperfect piston ring seal that needs to be vented somewhere without producing pollution.
    Which is why, when the burst disk blows out, you get oil spraying out all over the valve cover and coilpack It's sucking air at idle because no boost and everyone thinks it is sucking air because they don't rev the engine while checking to see if the burst disk is gone (because drive by wire). Rev the engine and you will feel the port on the burst disk blow air out. The "fuse" as it were, blows out due to increased pressure because the valve that prevents this pressure from building up (orange intake valve) is also gone and the manifold is leaking boost into the pcv system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Which is the way PVC systems have worked for decades. It's unmetered, but accounted for in the calculations. OTOH, all PVC systems I've seen have a fresh air intake for the crankcase somewhere.
    These cars are far too complex to just allow a margin of error to be added in. Heck, the computer controls the thermostat to keep the temps in the optimal range. The theory for the o pcv system is good, but the execution (orange rubber nipple in $350 intake manifold) fell flat.

XtremeRevolution likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    I started to have this issue with my 2012 LT RS Cruze. I got the following codes: P0171, P0106 and P1101. I did get the P0301 misfire but it was due to the 3 codes listed before. We did some research and found the following COULD be wrong with the car: Valve cover, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, ignition coil or PCV hose. I was having the same issues as reported on several other threads... check engine light was coming on, then the traction control/stabilitrac warning. The car would idle extremely rough, pulsing between 500-700 RPMs. When I would turn the car off, my fan would kick in and run for a bit as well.

Here is what we replaced (and did not fix the issue):
    Valve cover and gasket
    Ignition coil
    MAF sensor
    spark plugs
    Seafoam cleaner
    Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner

After more looking (my brother did a lot of research and testing with my car) and discovered 1 part we overlooked. The PCV valve tubing (GM part# 25193343). The tubing was so brittle and hard that it has broken down near the connector, under the exit turbo enlet. We replaced the part with a heat hose and it fixed the issue! We put the old ignition coil on to test, and it was still good. We also tested the old MAF sensor and it worked as well. We did keep the new spark plugs, as those needed to be replaced anyway. And we still think it needed the dreaded valve cover replaced as well. All in all, instead of spending $800 at the dealership to get it fixed, we spent around $140 (not including the beer I paid my brother for the work). I wanted to post this for those having issues and to make sure that you look at all the possible spots. This one was a little hidden.

here are some pics of the hose (old and new):
    Factory PCV hose:
    pcv hose 4.png

PCV hose removed from the car. It broke near the connector.
    pcv hose 1.jpg
    pcv hose 2.jpg

New hose that is on the car now and fixed the issue.
    pcv hose 3.jpg
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Take a look at the link I posted in #89. In those systems, the air is restricted when it goes from the crankcase to the intake, so there's no code if you leave the oil fill cap open on them. Ours seems to be designed differently, but I still think there's a fresh air intake somewhere.
    I did review that link. There is no source of inlet for air on this engine with the exception of the air intake. If you think there is one, get a can of starter fluid and start spraying everywhere. It would obviously only happen under vacuum, so if you feel engine RPMs rise, you'll know why. Trust me, it won't happen. That burst disk is sealed shut until something causes it to rupture, whether it's old age or excess pressure or vacuum.

Another reason it won't happen is because that air isn't filtered. It would cause endless problems if you lived in exceptionally dusty regions.
    cruze01 likes this.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Since I need to drive my car, and while these parts come in, I think to myself, would sealing the intake pcv port off now cause issues? The turbo would be sucking the pcv gasses but it does that in boost anyway and these cars run boost from 2k on. Not a permanent solution. The burst disk is already blown so it wouldn't over pressurize.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolveedub View Post
    Since I need to drive my car, and while these parts come in, I think to myself, would sealing the intake pcv port off now cause issues? The turbo would be sucking the pcv gasses but it does that in boost anyway and these cars run boost from 2k on. Not a permanent solution. The burst disk is already blown so it wouldn't over pressurize.

There is a sonic owner who did exactly that, and has been running it that way for some time. He just plugged up the check valve port and left it as is. I don't recommend that for a few reasons, but it hasn't caused him any immediate problems. You'll be fine running it like that for a few months, but I'd still replace the valve cover as you'll be venting PCV pressure through there as well and making a mess of your engine bay.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 01-20-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    There is a sonic owner who did exactly that, and has been running it that way for some time. He just plugged up the check valve port and left it as is. I don't recommend that for a few reasons, but it hasn't caused him any immediate problems. You'll be fine running it like that for a few months, but I'd still replace the valve cover as you'll be venting PCV pressure through there as well and making a mess of your engine bay.
    Ok good to know someone tried it before. It would be a stopgap until the parts came in. Valve cover is on its way, other parts being ordered tomorrow.

Driver's Ed
    Disassembly confirmed that the burst disc is part of a check valve - not for outside unfettered air, but between the input and output sides of rage valve cover. Pictures to follow as soon as I get back to my computer.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ninerhb View Post
    Disassembly confirmed that the burst disc is part of a check valve - not for outside unfettered air, but between the input and output sides of rage valve cover. Pictures to follow as soon as I get back to my computer.
    Very good info to have. This will explain a lot of things.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)