Oil cooler leak - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Oil cooler leak

Driver's Ed
    I just did it yesterday WITHOUT pulling the turbo. It wasn't that bad, just make sure sure you tighten the 3 mounting bolts for the cooler FIRST before you tighten up the hose going from the thermostat to the oil cooler. I didn't and it leaked right where the coolant hose goes into the oil cooler.

To get to the bolt that holds the hose I referenced above, I used a E10 socket on a wobbly attachment then a 8" extension hooked up to my ratchet. When you go to install the bolt, I wrapped some electrical tape around the head of the bolt once it was in the E10 socket. That helps hold it in the socket when you go to thread it in.

Any questions, PM me or post here.
    cruzer1026 and plano-doug like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

mjb
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeers View Post
    I just did it yesterday WITHOUT pulling the turbo. It wasn't that bad, just make sure sure you tighten the 3 mounting bolts for the cooler FIRST before you tighten up the hose going from the thermostat to the oil cooler. I didn't and it leaked right where the coolant hose goes into the oil cooler.

To get to the bolt that holds the hose I referenced above, I used a E10 socket on a wobbly attachment then a 8" extension hooked up to my ratchet. When you go to install the bolt, I wrapped some electrical tape around the head of the bolt once it was in the E10 socket. That helps hold it in the socket when you go to thread it in.

Any questions, PM me or post here.
    wobbly attachment? do you mean universal socket adapter?

did you purchase a whole new oil cooler? or did you just replace the 3 seals?

4th Gear
    They probably means a wobble extension/adapter 🙂

You don't need SnapOn...They sell em at Lowe's/Home Depot/etc...20190311_090423_1552309499904.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Yes it was a Universal Joint, not a wobble socket...my bad

Another tip is when you go to reinstall the oil cooler, go from the bottom to get it past the block and turbo. I struggled trying to do it from the top, then went underneath the car and it was much easier for some reason.

I didn't buy a new cooler. I just replaced the internal seal. I also use a new seal for where it attaches to the block and new O ring where it inserts in the other part of the block.

Driver's Ed
    Hello from Europe. I have the exact same engine, on an Opel Astra 1.4 Turbo. Oil from the oil cooler is dripping onto the exhaust/catalyst and it burns. My mechanic told me that I should replace the whole assembly and not just the seals. From his experience he said that after replacing the seals, the oil pressure will rise inside the oil cooler, something that will force the oil cooler to fail within the next month after the replacement of the seals.
    So my question to those of you that have replaced only the seals, is this: Did you have oil cooler failure?

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
    Hello from Europe. I have the exact same engine, on an Opel Astra 1.4 Turbo. Oil from the oil cooler is dripping onto the exhaust/catalyst and it burns. My mechanic told me that I should replace the whole assembly and not just the seals. From his experience he said that after replacing the seals, the oil pressure will rise inside the oil cooler, something that will force the oil cooler to fail within the next month after the replacement of the seals.
    So my question to those of you that have replaced only the seals, is this: Did you have oil cooler failure?
    It sounds like this mechanic is wanting a reason to charge you for more parts since there is a markup on parts. Replace the seals, preferably at a different repair facility. Could end up with a loose bolt so you come back in a month or two and him tell you, I told you so, to order a new assembly and charge you again.

Driver's Ed
    He claims that he has changed oil cooler seals in other models of this make, and they all failed. I have also seen in here in other threads, people that went to the dealers in order to repair the leak, and the dealer wanted to change the assembly. So, is the possibility of oil cooler failure possible?

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)