1.4 ECO - Thermostat Swap - 221F to 176F! - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 1.4 ECO - Thermostat Swap - 221F to 176F!

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    ..... Although no CEL came on when you swapped to a lower temperature your car isn't burning as clean.
    Hehehe! So you don't trust the electronics? How you define then "...as clean"? Let me have bigger concerns than that! Unless... you are driving a full electrical car and have solar panels all around your house and recycle the water you use on daily basis?

There are pros and cons but I work in the field and believe me not all the released products on the market are based on proven ideas and detailed tests.
    I checked the thermostats for major passenger cars today and tell me if you can find one that is opening over 100C! I couldn't find any! Ideally I would put a thermostat that opens around 90-92C max but couldn't find a direct replacement and didn't want also to change the housing, adapters etc. I'm not going to argue more about "performances & emissions", I just shared my work and the results so others can decide if they want to do or not the swap since the gauge for coolant temperature is useless and you boil the coolant without even knowing it, zero warnings!
    CruzzieQ and yt400pmd like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

Question: What would be the effect of just changing the cap to 15lbs? That 25% reduction in system pressure seems where most of the benefit comes from. As far as I can tell, the boiling point would be 267F down from 282F. (This is for generic 50% antifreeze - I couldn't find a table for Dexcool.)

Edit: For Dexcool, it's 260F/266F/277F depending on 40%/50%/70% mixture at 15lbs. I don't know what it is for 20lbs.

What hasn't been addressed is the temperature gauge that doesn't give good warnings. That's going to take a computer solution.
    Last edited by ChevyGuy; 02-19-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    obermd and CruzzieQ like this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Question: What impact has running cooler had on your emissions? Part of the reason the Cruze runs so hot is for emissions purposes - hotter engines tend to burn cleaner.
    Hotter engines run dirtier. They produce more NOX.

Running an engine at 220* must have some pretty high levels.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 02-19-2019 at 10:47 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Hotter engines run dirtier. They produce more NOX.

Running an engine at 220* must have some pretty high levels.
    It doesn't look like it had much of an effect.

More than you want to know (Look at fig 10)
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    It doesn't look like it had much of an effect.

More than you want to know (Look at fig 10)
    You have a chart for gasoline engines?
    CRUISE-CRUZE and Blasirl like this.

Question: What would be the effect of just changing the cap to 15lbs? That 25% reduction in system pressure seems where most of the benefit comes from. As far as I can tell, the boiling point would be 267F down from 282F. (This is for generic 50% antifreeze - I couldn't find a table for Dexcool.)

Edit: For Dexcool, it's 260F/266F/277F depending on 40%/50%/70% mixture at 15lbs. I don't know what it is for 20lbs.

What hasn't been addressed is the temperature gauge that doesn't give good warnings. That's going to take a computer solution.
    In theory, yes, it is better to have a higher pressure into the system. But in reality the extra pressure damages the hoses, connections, expansion tank, etc. See how many issues are related with that on this forum. Look around to other similar cars and see the cap spec. I monitored long enough the system and the active grille shutter has also influence on controlling the coolant temperature. Not efficient at all under different circumstances, when for example the grille it is locked into a random positions due to the outside temperature. That is another story, they dropped also this extra feature that was very advertised when they came in US with the first Cruze generation. I have mercury tilt switch on the grille connected to an LED inside the car so during the years I could daily monitor its behavior. The thermostat for the first Gen is also "smart" so the computer supposed to properly control the temperature and open/close the thermostat and grille based on different algorithms. The intention was good but not efficient in my opinion....

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CRUISE-CRUZE View Post
    In theory, yes, it is better to have a higher pressure into the system. But in reality the extra pressure damages the hoses, connections, expansion tank, etc.
    Right. I get that. The question is if it's safe to run lower pressure without changing the thermostat. I'm not sure what the peak temperature would be and how much margin is needed.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Right. I get that. The question is if it's safe to run lower pressure without changing the thermostat. I'm not sure what the peak temperature would be and how much margin is needed.
    You just need to keep the coolant from boiling. The boiling point is related to temperature, pressure and % mixture of your coolant (and type of coolant). You can find all these then do the math.

Boiling.JPG
    Last edited by CRUISE-CRUZE; 02-20-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Driver's Ed
    modifying the thermostat without adapting the software tune will cause trouble codes... the ECM controls the thermostat to a desired ECT and will set a DTC and MIL if it does not see that temperature after a certain time

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by HL66 View Post
    modifying the thermostat without adapting the software tune will cause trouble codes... the ECM controls the thermostat to a desired ECT and will set a DTC and MIL if it does not see that temperature after a certain time
    None yet with mine.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)