1.4 ECO - Thermostat Swap - 221F to 176F! - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 1.4 ECO - Thermostat Swap - 221F to 176F!

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Air cooled is a different beast and yes oil is connected to water. It heats and cools along side with water.
    Please explain the high temperature the differential oil in a RWD drive car can reach? So high in fact that in a race car the diff usually fails if the oil cooler stops working.

I found this on line: As you can see it would cause problems if the coolant reached these temperatures. As I own a diesel Cruze i know the coolant sits around 80C and my daughter's petrol 1.6T Cruze runs at over 100C.

For non-synthetic motor oil, the traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees F. For full synthetic motor oil, maximum can exceed 300 degrees. In all cases, less than 212 will cause water buildup in the crankcase.
    Last edited by Aussie; 06-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Air cooled is a different beast and yes oil is connected to water. It heats and cools along side with water.
    Please explain the high temperature the differential oil in a RWD drive car can reach? So high in fact that in a race car the diff usually fails if the oil cooler stops working.

I found this on line: As you can see it would cause problems if the coolant reached these temperatures. As I own a diesel Cruze i know the coolant sits around 80C and my daughter's petrol 1.6T Cruze runs at over 100C.

For non-synthetic motor oil, the traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees F. For full synthetic motor oil, maximum can exceed 300 degrees. In all cases, less than 212 will cause water buildup in the crankcase.
    Why are you comparing water cooled engines to non cooled rear ends?

Handbrake Released
    i understand you are concerned regarding NOx i have yearly emsission testing. MY car passed. if you did this and it did not pass then fine BUT YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS MOD

as stated earlier ~~~ this mod is not for everyone. i am sharing MY temps and MY engine oil analysis and MY emissions regarding this mod that i have done to MY car.
    please start another thread debating YOUR info you want to share.
    Last edited by yt400pmd; 06-11-2019 at 04:51 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by yt400pmd View Post
    i understand you are concerned regarding NOx i have yearly emsission testing. MY car passed. if you did this and it did not pass then fine BUT YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS MOD

as stated earlier ~~~ this mod is not for everyone. i am sharing MY temps and MY engine oil analysis and MY emissions regarding this mod that i have done to MY car.
    And you did a darn good job too.

And I'm not off topic. From some of the posts. 😊

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    I apologise as I guess it is my fault we got a little bit off topic. Back in the 80's when my kids were little I had a Toyota 8 seat mini van and the temperature of the engine used to gat higher than I was comfortable with in heavy traffic. It gets really hot in Australia so I asked around if anyone knew how I could get my engine to run cooler. I was told that a Volvo thermostat was set at 170 and the Toyota was at 195. By grinding down the Volvo one to make it fit the Toyota the cooling system problem was solved. This is the reason I got interested in this thread in the first place.
    yt400pmd likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

Guys, relax!
    I did the change only because I was frustrated like many others to boil the coolant without knowing, I explained also that the gauge temp is useless! I would use a thermostat that would close around 90-95C but there were no options that I could find to replace with minimal changes. And I explained this, even GM change the thermostat later to lower temperature but different housing for the next generation (2017) that opens at... 82C yes! I changed, or help others, to do this change on more than a dozen cars and no issues. I detailed the steps for people who want to improve and avoid issues but don't start arguing now like the Cruze is an F1 car, where every small changes would have a big impact! I keep driving my Cruze/s with this change for that many months, I even forgot about it until I saw this topic opened again. We can debate a lot about it but, unless you have time to put gauges everywhere and go to deep details based on measurements, just look at the real life results: it works! Don't trust it? Don't do it!
    Aussie, mechguy78 and sailurman like this.

Drag Racing Champion

I'm not concerned about NOx. I merely stated. Cooler thermostats produce less. Could be why the imports appear to be running 180's instead of 190's.

NOx isn't part of the emissions test. Only HC & CO. And when OBD2 came out. Now it's just a simple test for codes. In my state anyways.

And no. I haven't done it. The gen2's don't need the mod.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 06-12-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Handbrake Released
    I'm not concerned about NOx. I merely stated. Cooler thermostats produce less. Could be why the imports appear to be running 180's instead of 190's.

NOx isn't part of the emissions test. Only HC & CO. And when OBD2 came out. Now it's just a simple test for codes. In my state anyways.

so, you do not have first hand knowledge of how the 1st Gen engine runs and behaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drag Racing Champion

so, you do not have first hand knowledge of how the 1st Gen engine runs and behaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well. My 12 ran and behaved just fine. For the brief time I owned it. Does yours run and behave differently?
    Last edited by snowwy66; 06-13-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Handbrake Released
    Well. My 12 ran and behaved just fine. For the brief time I owned it. Does yours run and behave differently?
    yes it does, as stated ealier i live in the southwest where the temp often crests 100

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)