P0299 just appeared
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P0299 just appeared

HiBoost is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

P0299 just appeared

Hi Guys,

Got a 2011 Cruze with 88k miles (out of warranty due to age not mileage) and it just threw a P0299. Reading around it sounds like the turbo is a likely cause, but when I go to an online GM parts site it shows the turbo (p/n 55565353) is discontinued. I also see some aftermarket results (Dorman and others) showing up. What is the deal here? Is there no GM official part for this application any more? And if not, has anybody had any luck with the aftermarket ones?

My daughter drives this car and is 200 miles from home. Onstar told her "do not drive it, must be serviced within 24 hours" which is obviously a canned response, not a technical assessment. Have any of you actually had this code lead to greater problems if not remedied immediately? I really don't mind her being doing on power and I'm not about to put $2k+ into this car...

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    Onstar told me I could drive my brand new Cruze when it failed on the second day. The DIC said "Warning Shut Off Engine Immediately" or something just like that. I don't believe they provide 'canned' announcements to generate dealer visits?

HiBoost is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    I'm not suggesting it's a scam, and of course when in doubt it would always be best to get things checked out as soon as possible. However, the onstar rep saying that "the car cannot be driven and must be serviced within 24 hours" does not match the reality of a LOW boost condition. High boost, sure. But if the wastegate is stuck open or leaking this is not a dangerous situation for the engine. That's why I was asking if anybody had ever had this code associated with anything that would be extremely urgent to get checked out. I am not able to drop everything and go to her, she needs a car daily to get to work, and we aren't going to spend $2k at a dealer repairing a car only worth $4k. At most I would buy one of these aftermarket turbos for $400 and put it on myself if the wastegate situation cannot be repaired (I understand the dealer treats it as replacement only).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    So I look up the discontinued part number you mentioned, and find:

REPLACED BY 25198474 FOR 2019 J BODY APPLICATIONS WITH R P O. U0D. ALL OTHERS USE 25198550.

I'd check it out with a phone call to my parts vendor, but it sounds like 25198550 will do the trick.
    Hopefully it's an upgrade part.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

HiBoost is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Thanks Taxman! I do wonder what the differences have been between old and new numbers. Will see if I can dig up anything and report back.

BOOOOST!
    Until approximately a year ago, GM turbo's for the 1.4L were OEM new units, with list prices around $800. Recently I've seen that the GM OE offering is a re manufactured unit. This unit online at Rockauto was about $575 plus a $75 core.

I now see that Rockauto has several alternatives for the 1.4L turbo, yet there's little information about the longevity of these aftermarket units.

It's nice that the Dorman unit comes with a lot of the accessory parts, but it's still a Dorman. There's no high mileage posts here on those units.
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 78,000 Miles as of 1/19
    Looking for EV for next car.. Bolt or maybe Model 3 if Chevy doesn't speed up their EV's to the marketplace!

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

5th Gear
    The one I linked, ending in 550, lists for $746 and the dealers don't take a core charge.

But not having a core charge might not mean anything, they want a core charge for bumper covers and tail lights (WTF, the tail lights were $20 cheaper and no core charge a year ago) but the bumpers and tail lights are new.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)