Found a leak!! Boost leak!!!
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By eddiefromcali

Thread: Found a leak!! Boost leak!!!

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

Found a leak!! Boost leak!!!

Hi everyone!! So today I made my own boost leak tester and tried testing my 2014 Cruze for boost leaks. ( I got a P0299 code about 3 days ago. )
    So today I hooked up my boost leak tester and regulated my compressor to 22 PSI and opened up the valve on my boost leak tester and slowly let everything pressurize. Once it was full I started hearing a lot of hissing coming from the charge pipe / throttle body connection and the intake manifold/throttle body connection.

My question is what do I need to replace to fix this? I assume the throttle body mounting gasket, the green gasket where the throttle body and intake manifold connect but what should I replace on the other side of the throttle body? The whole charge pipe? Also would this boost leak cause in the inside of my turbo where my CAI connects to look burnt?? This is my first turbo car, so please bare with me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze Thebigzeus's Avatar
    Not sure on the other stuff, but my turbo has a burnt line where the PCV hose connects and runs all the way down the inlet. So I assume that is normal and is what you’re describing.

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebigzeus View Post
    Not sure on the other stuff, but my turbo has a burnt line where the PCV hose connects and runs all the way down the inlet. So I assume that is normal and is what you’re describing.
    Hey thanks for getting back to me and yes in that area but the whole inside is golden brown not just a line. Pictures added below.

turbo1.jpg turbo2.jpg

I also found inside the throttle body and inside the intake manifold where the throttle body connects there seems to be a bit of maybe oil/gas. Any information on this? Is this because of the leak?

throttlebody1.jpg

EDIT** Also could this boost leak cause my car to run lean? I mean I would think if air is escaping it wouldn't because lean is to much air not enough fuel but I pulled my spark plugs out as well and notice the cars running lean on cylinders #1,2 & 4 it seems but #3 seems to be a bit better. I'm going to make a separate thread about the lean issue but here are the photos of the plugs from cylinder #1-#4.

#1cylinder#1.jpg #2cylinder#2.jpg #3cylinder#3.jpg #4cylinder#4.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Knapman; 04-03-2019 at 11:48 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    that "burnt" look is just oil that's caked on there. Try tightening down on the oem hose clamp at the tb/charge pipe. New tb gasket and properly torqued down should get rid of that leak. Fix that and change plugs, report back after some driving.
    Knapman and Thebigzeus like this.

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiefromcali View Post
    that "burnt" look is just oil that's caked on there. Try tightening down on the oem hose clamp at the tb/charge pipe. New tb gasket and properly torqued down should get rid of that leak. Fix that and change plugs, report back after some driving.
    Hi thanks for the post! So basically this is just caused from the boost leak I was having at intake manifold / throttle body? Now that I've replaced this gasket, if I go ahead and clean this up I should see a lot less in the future unless this issue happens again?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Knapman View Post
    Hi thanks for the post! So basically this is just caused from the boost leak I was having at intake manifold / throttle body? Now that I've replaced this gasket, if I go ahead and clean this up I should see a lot less in the future unless this issue happens again?
    the oil in the turbo inlet and throttle body was not caused by the boost leak. That oil is blowby from the engine, not caused by a boost leak but from either bad rings or valve cover or intake manifold. A little oil is fine...I wouldn't be too worried about it

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiefromcali View Post
    the oil in the turbo inlet and throttle body was not caused by the boost leak. That oil is blowby from the engine, not caused by a boost leak but from either bad rings or valve cover or intake manifold. A little oil is fine...I wouldn't be too worried about it
    Okay thank you that is good to know. I'm still just learning about turbo'd cars. That does make sense though because I've recently received error codes relating to a vacuum leak p0106, p0171 & p1100 indicating that my valve cover needs to be replaced.

1st Gear
    make sure the intake manifold still has the check valve in there. Theres a how to on here. How many miles on the car?

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Yup I have checked for that and it's still there, I plan to upgrade to a ported intake manifold and PCV fix kit v2 one day in the future. I currently have 145,XXX kms my only mods are muffler delete, intake res delete, aem cai and a tune from BNR. I did the serpintine belt yesterday, throttle body gasket and checked my spark plugs. I noticed corrosion on the spark plug resistors in the plug boots so I grabbed a new ignition coil as well replaced all that yesterday. I had a few different noises going on due to a couple different issues so I just went a head and grabbed a evap purge solenoid and replaced that as well.

I'm going to buy a new valve cover tomorrow and replace that and hopefully it will fix the rest of my issues. I will definitely keep you updated!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)