Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Need help with P2228-00

14K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ma v e n 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my 2011 1.4T (50k miles). I was checking the system with my scan tool after having some parts replaced when I got home and out of nowhere it shows me "P2228-00 Barometric Pressure (BAR0) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage". The coolant pump was a bit leaky like 2 weeks ago. I noticed like a drop of coolant sitting on the oil pan, then I checked under the hood and realized its the coolant pump. So I told the workshop to put a new one in there as well as replacing the thermostat and the v belt (while theyre at it). But I'm not really sure what this code means to be honest, or rather what triggers it. The car runs just fine, there's no leaks (oil or coolant) or anything.

I checked the system like a couple days before the car went to the workshop and there were no fault codes. Then after arriving home like I said I scanned the system and there it was. I'd like to make the workshop fix this because to me it looks like they caused it but I can't really proof it's on them. I mean maybe the code really did pop up a day before they started working on the car, who knows. Although its kind of unlikely. Either way I tried to fix this by myself. I bought a new MAP sensor and somehow the code did disappear for a day or two but then it popped up again. Then I replaced the MAF sensor and that didn't help. Slowly I don't really know what is causing this? Does anybody have any experience with this? Would appreciate any help. :uhh:

See less See more
#2 ·
Causes for this P2228 code may include:

Defective or damaged BAP (Barometric Air pressure) sensor
Defective or damaged electrical connector
Wiring issue (e.g. open, short, corrosion)
Electrical short (internal or mechanical)
Loose electrical connection Heat damage
Mechanical malfunction causing altered BAP readings
ECM (Engine Control Module) issue

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2228

Before you throw more parts at it, figure out what is wrong. Here are some resources to look at.

#5 ·
Thanks for these. So...apparently I don't even HAVE A barometric sensor. At least on my car, and I'm sure the car maker left it out on purpose. Unless I couldn't find it. There's no connection there. Just the hole where the BPS is supposed to be without an electrical connection.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Pipe
Hose Fuel line Pipe Auto part Plumbing

And now I know where the manifold absolute pressure sensor is (the blue thing). That's not the one I had replaced. :unsure:

So...why don't I have a barometric pressure sensor would be my first question (just curious), and how do I get this code if I don't even have one (I never had one but this code never popped up before) and more importantly does this mean the manifold pressure sensor is functioning as a barometric pressure sensor? If the MPS fails would that produce a code involving the barometric pressure sensor (that doesnt exist on my car/engine)? If not the barometric pressure sensor must be somewhere else...I couldnt spot it. It's supposed to be right there next to the MPS. I'm confused.

#7 ·
Also I recently noticed this, is this normal? The way the hose is vibrating. Maybe there's a connection with the code I'm getting. To me it looks like some sensor is not working properly. I did put in a new turbo boost sensor, nothing changed. Maybe it's the MAP/BARO...

[video]https://streamable.com/pc2cz[/video]

#10 ·
Does your Mass Air Flow sensor have a 5pin trapezoid/triangular connector or an 8pin rectangular connector.

If you have an 8 pin connector the BARO sesnor is integrated into the mass air flow sensor

If you have 5 pin connector the baro sesnor WOULD go in that empty mounting point you found .

I've had 2 or 3 cars over the years where there was a sensor there. 2011 was a weird year.
One of the the sensor existed but was mounted to bottom of intake manifold.
Other cars I found a reflash to the ECM fixed them and some cars randomly in error set similar codes if the ECM wakes up with a sensor disconnected. Is your car actually triggering a check engine light, or is the DTC just stored? What scan tool are you using? Lots of aftermarket scan tools will display false DTCs that aren't actually set, or will show a DTC as current when it isn't. GM uses some slightly different designators for their DTC statuses and it confuses a lot of code readers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.