Low Oil pressure to head
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Low Oil pressure to head

dtuerk is offline [OP]

Question Low Oil pressure to head

Just wondering if anyone has a cut-away of the 1.4T's oil gallery/passages, I suspect I have some sealant caught in the passage to the head, causing the lifters to click.

I've replaced the lifters, the old ones looked fine (None of them were collapsed, there goes $200!), also used compressed air to blow out the passage in where they sit. Still clicking away, however ever so slightly better than it was before.

Just wondering if there is a plug I can remove to have a better look. Or if I'm going to have to pull the head again

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Have you checked your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

dtuerk is offline [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
    Have you checked your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?
    I haven't no, its intermittently bad (Always clicking mind you, just sometimes worse than others), and it's been doing it for about 15,000 KM's. So I figure the engine would have let go by now if it was low oil pressure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuerk View Post
    I haven't no, its intermittently bad (Always clicking mind you, just sometimes worse than others), and it's been doing it for about 15,000 KM's. So I figure the engine would have let go by now if it was low oil pressure.
    Not necessarily. It could be borderline. The lifters are at the top of the motor where oil pressure is lowest. Checking pressure might keep you from wasting another $200 on a repair that doesn't fix anything.

1st Gear
    Maybe somebody will pipe in with the bulletin, I remember reading about a plugged passage on the block deck and to look for it

Drag Racing Champion
    Try dumping a can of seafoam in the engine oil and run it a few hundred miles.

There's a guy on YouTube who tests things out. The early Ford Broncos v6 motors were famous for clacking. He dumped a can in engine and a can in gas. Drove a whole tank of gas. Made that engine sound brand new again.

Learning about my Cruze
    Just chiming in here. You're sure it isn't the purge valve? Those click like a MF on some Cruzes. As well, when you had the cam cover off did you make sure the chain guide between the actuators was tight?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1st Gear
    Can not seem to attach the bulletin but here is the text:

While performing mechanical engine repairs on some 2009-2011 Aveo; 2011-2012 Cruze; 2012 Sonic; 2009-2010 Wave/G3; and 2008-2009 Astra models equipped with the 1.6L 4-cylinder engine (RPO LXV) or 1.8L 4-cylinder engine (RPOs LUW, 2H0), a melted plastic piece may be observed in the engine block deck. If an engine is severely overheated, the high temperature plastic oil feed restrictor orifice in the block deck (Fig. 13) may become damaged, restricting oil flow through the block, orifice and cylinder head passages. (Fig. 14) The orifice is toward the exhaust side of the block, between cylinders 2 and 3. It may be difficult to locate this item in the parts catalog.

dated Jan 1 2012

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KENSTV123 View Post
    some 2009-2011 Aveo; 2011-2012 Cruze; 2012 Sonic; 2009-2010 Wave/G3; and 2008-2009 Astra models equipped with the 1.6L 4-cylinder engine (RPO LXV) or 1.8L 4-cylinder engine (RPOs LUW, 2H0),
    OP says he has a 1.4 which is not listed.
    dtuerk likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

dtuerk is offline [OP]
    Anyone know where to get the service manual for the Cruze? Can't seem to find a reputable site that has it.

Only thing I haven't had a chance to inspect is the pre-filter/screen in the oil pickup going to the oil pump. I was just wondering if they designed this engine with a removable plug in the oil passages that I could quickly check and blow out instead of dropping the pan again, and risk getting more sealant/contaminant in the engine.

PS. This is 100% the valvetrain, not the injectors/Purgevalve/Eco"Tick"

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)