Pending p0300. Misses going up hills - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pending p0300. Misses going up hills

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    I'm wondering if the chain noise could be from the chain on the torque converter. That chain would be getting some back-and-forth jerking when the engine misses.
    Are you referring to the dual-mass flywheel? Yeah, I could see it making some noise when it misses.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    i get the same code everyday at the same 2 spots on the highway and the kicker is im going down hill at the time so no strain on the engine for it to misfire. does your stabilitytrak/traction control come on the dash?

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Are you referring to the dual-mass flywheel? Yeah, I could see it making some noise when it misses.
    No, I was just saying, regarding "chain noise" as Rebelboiiz221101 mentioned, there is the drive chain which might be a source for that. But it would probably have to be stretched quite a bit (ie, old and worn) for that to occur.

I don't know much about the DMF, but I suppose, if it has moving parts, it can make noise, too

Doug

-- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

No, I was just saying, regarding "chain noise" as Rebelboiiz221101 mentioned, there is the drive chain which might be a source for that. But it would probably have to be stretched quite a bit (ie, old and worn) for that to occur.
    A timing chain, yes. But I wouldn't call it a drive chain.

I don't know much about the DMF, but I suppose, if it has moving parts, it can make noise, too
    It's two flywheels connected with springs. Yeah, it can clatter if there's a problem.

One issue with a 4-stroke 4-banger is that you get only on "bang" per 180 degree turn of the crank. That tends to create quite a bit of vibration. The dual mass flywheel is a way of addressing that. One flywheel is connected to the engine to keep it turning, the other is connected to the transmission. The springs help absorb the shock of the two bangs per turn.

I'd imagine that a missing engine could drive it crazy. Likewise, if it got stuck, it could confuse the computer since the computer is looking for the effect of the bangs on crankshaft speed to set the miss code.
    Last edited by ChevyGuy; 06-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    A timing chain, yes. But I wouldn't call it a drive chain.
    I'm not sure what the 1.4 has for timing, belt or chain. But there's a chain linking the torque converter to the rest of the transaxle - that's what I meant by drive chain.

One issue with a 4-stroke 4-banger is that you get only on "bang" per 180 degree turn of the crank. That tends to create quite a bit of vibration.
    I haven't done much wrenching yet on my two Cruzes, but I know some of the 4-bangers also have a balance shaft intended to address the vibration. I've seen an HHR with one of those.

Thanks for the explanation on the DMF - I had envisioned something quite different.

I know it's kinda cynical, but you have to wonder if maybe putting up with more vibration might be more tolerable than dealing with all the reliability issues associated with the vibration reduction hardware

Doug

Last edited by plano-doug; 06-12-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

Ok so coil pack fixed the miss, problem gone. I didn't get to read through all the new comments so I'm not sure what has been said, BUT I do have one question!!! Is there a reason why I would have oil on my MAP sensor? Seems like with all the piping it would have a **** of a time getting oil that far up? Anyways I cleaned the MAP and MAF still idles kinda rough (might be a 4 banger thing) but it doesn't spit and spudder on the hills any more.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg0672 View Post
    i get the same code everyday at the same 2 spots on the highway and the kicker is im going down hill at the time so no strain on the engine for it to misfire. does your stabilitytrak/traction control come on the dash?
    Yes it they would come on SOMETIMES. The CEL would flash and go out sometimes. Sometimes it would flash the Trak light would come on and I'd get warning in the dic. Sometimes just a cel would illuminate. Depending on the mood of this joyful turd.

Group B Rally Champion

I know it's kinda cynical, but you have to wonder if maybe putting up with more vibration might be more tolerable than dealing with all the reliability issues associated with the vibration reduction hardware
    You'd have to convince the people who buy the car when it's new. Smooth sells. The problems come later - and not infrequently, for a different owner.
    plano-doug likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

For the love of god it just did it again any other ideas?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)