Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Pending p0300. Misses going up hills

5K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Rebelboiiz221101 
#1 ·
I'm gonna try this post one more time with hopes a little more info will help.. The car has had a problem with missing going up hills since the pcv system went and was replaced. It bucks and the CEL flashes but will not set a permanent code. Currently the data I have pulled is
cyl 1- 1 in last drive cycle
Cyl 2- 197 in last
Cyl 3- 2 in last
Cyl 4- 228 in last
And a pending P0300

It will miss on occasion on flat ground mostly on hills pedal about half down and the car sitting around 3500 rpm. Not above 5000 and not below 3500. This issue is driving me nuts and I need some direction.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Regap at .028 and torque to 18ft-lbs - no anti-seize

MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coils 8236

From Hesitation Gone:
-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

#7 ·
To update last night I finally got a permanent code to set (this has been going on for months) I didn't have any tools to pull the plugs but I did pull the coil and check the springs cyl ?4? (one closest to air box) was a little out of place but "fixing" it didn't help the problem. I will be buying plugs and changing tonight to see what happens.
Also dealer replaced the intake and cam cover. I've taken it back and they keep telling me nothing they will do without a check engine light. I already know it doesn't fall under power train (if it's a coil) but should I make an attempt to see if the dealer will fix? Or am I wasting my time?

#13 ·
Waiting on coil. But I've developed a rather odd noise, when accelerating it sounds like it has a supercharger [emoji23]. Almost like a belt whine but from what I can see (I haven't dug into this very far) the belt looks and feels fine, no cracking from a visual inspection. Any have any idea or should I just head straight for the belt?

#14 ·
Also, Im really feeling like I'm hearing some chain noise when it starts bucking, a slapping kinda noise. Still idles fine other than that ever so light whine. How common is it for the chains to go in these? Am I just hearing some really loud ping? I do understand this question is hard to answer without hearing it but maybe someone with more experience could give me what they think about it.

#24 · (Edited)
No, I was just saying, regarding "chain noise" as Rebelboiiz221101 mentioned, there is the drive chain which might be a source for that. But it would probably have to be stretched quite a bit (ie, old and worn) for that to occur.
A timing chain, yes. But I wouldn't call it a drive chain.

I don't know much about the DMF, but I suppose, if it has moving parts, it can make noise, too :)
It's two flywheels connected with springs. Yeah, it can clatter if there's a problem.

One issue with a 4-stroke 4-banger is that you get only on "bang" per 180 degree turn of the crank. That tends to create quite a bit of vibration. The dual mass flywheel is a way of addressing that. One flywheel is connected to the engine to keep it turning, the other is connected to the transmission. The springs help absorb the shock of the two bangs per turn.

I'd imagine that a missing engine could drive it crazy. Likewise, if it got stuck, it could confuse the computer since the computer is looking for the effect of the bangs on crankshaft speed to set the miss code.

#25 · (Edited)
A timing chain, yes. But I wouldn't call it a drive chain.
I'm not sure what the 1.4 has for timing, belt or chain. But there's a chain linking the torque converter to the rest of the transaxle - that's what I meant by drive chain.

One issue with a 4-stroke 4-banger is that you get only on "bang" per 180 degree turn of the crank. That tends to create quite a bit of vibration.
I haven't done much wrenching yet on my two Cruzes, but I know some of the 4-bangers also have a balance shaft intended to address the vibration. I've seen an HHR with one of those.

Thanks for the explanation on the DMF - I had envisioned something quite different.

I know it's kinda cynical, but you have to wonder if maybe putting up with more vibration might be more tolerable than dealing with all the reliability issues associated with the vibration reduction hardware :)

Doug

#16 ·
The electric power steering whines? Interesting. And I'm at a whopping 30k right now! it's had more problems than the car I drove around with no floor in it and 250k on it. this car has been nothing but a headache and man I can't wait to trade it in.

#27 ·
Yes it they would come on SOMETIMES. The CEL would flash and go out sometimes. Sometimes it would flash the Trak light would come on and I'd get warning in the dic. Sometimes just a cel would illuminate. Depending on the mood of this joyful turd.

#26 ·
Ok so coil pack fixed the miss, problem gone. I didn't get to read through all the new comments so I'm not sure what has been said, BUT I do have one question!!! Is there a reason why I would have oil on my MAP sensor? Seems like with all the piping it would have a **** of a time getting oil that far up? Anyways I cleaned the MAP and MAF still idles kinda rough (might be a 4 banger thing) but it doesn't spit and spudder on the hills any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.