lack of power and no check engine light
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: lack of power and no check engine light

madmader is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

lack of power and no check engine light

I am still fighting this issue... lack of power, and no CEL, or even pending codes. and it is hit and miss too boot. sometimes it is fine, other times its not.

Here is what I have done.

1. pressure checked for air leaks...
    2. tune up using OEM spark plugs about 15K miles ago
    3. New turbo about 5K miles ago
    4. New intake 9 Months ago
    5. Checked the entire PCV system... all good

I think I am going to do a compression test this weekend...

Ready too just trade it off...

any ideas?
    2016 Cruze LT - needed a motor @ 69K Miles (broken piston ring lands) Currently @ 133K
    2008 Grand Cherokee - 170K and still going strong
    2002 S10 4.3 - 143K and going good as good as new
    1985 Harley Sportster 1000 - 17K and an awesome ride....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

What octane gas are you running? The gen 1 Cruze engines are actually built for 91 octane and it's the ECM software that allows them to safely run on 87 octane. The problem is the ECM throws away a significant amount of power to safely run on 87. Try 91 octane for a couple of tanks and see what happens.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

madmader is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    I have always ran 87 octane in the car and I purchased it new about 3 years ago. The engine has about 87K miles on it. (cracked ring lands in the original motor). It just started doing this about three weeks ago... Honestly, it is starting to act just like the original motor did before it went to complete crap... just not using any oil, yet.
    Last edited by madmader; 06-06-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    2016 Cruze LT - needed a motor @ 69K Miles (broken piston ring lands) Currently @ 133K

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

madmader is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    ok, just did a dry compression test...

Cylinder 1 - 140PSI
    Cylinder 2 - 130PSI
    Cylinder 3 - 120PSI
    Cylinder 4 - 125PSI

Now cylinders 1 and 2 passed 100PSI on the second crank. 3 & 4 was more like the 4 crank out of a total of 5 cranks.

so I am going to say I have two week cylinders, AKA, a junk motor, again..... and only 87K miles on it...

thoughts?

Group B Rally Champion

Assuming you're in North America, it's now summer. With the warmer weather, the ECM is going to have to retard spark to prevent knock. That's where having higher octane when under boost really helps. It was the earlier model years that really had problems, but a tank of 92 is a cheap to try.
    Thebigzeus likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Formula One Champion
    And you say you tuned it up using OEM plugs. I suggest you remove them, check the gap, ensure it is .028 and torque them to 18ft-lbs - no anti-seize and then make sure the resister springs are free and not caught up in the rubber boot. When you pull the coil pack, check the boots for tracking.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by madmader View Post
    ok, just did a dry compression test...

Cylinder 1 - 140PSI
    Cylinder 2 - 130PSI
    Cylinder 3 - 120PSI
    Cylinder 4 - 125PSI

Now cylinders 1 and 2 passed 100PSI on the second crank. 3 & 4 was more like the 4 crank out of a total of 5 cranks.

so I am going to say I have two week cylinders, AKA, a junk motor, again..... and only 87K miles on it...

thoughts?
    I'd agree with you. You've got a mechanical fault. I wouldn't waste anytime with different fuels, or spark plugs or anything.

You should have compression number far closer to 200psi. 165psi is about as low as you can really go and not notice a difference. The 20psi variance is also as you mentioned cause for concern.

You could in theory have a stretched or skipped chain causing low compression, but the cylinder to cylinder variance would still be a death knell. Sorry.

madmader is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    and the motor only has 87K on it... I have always faithfully changed the oil every 5K. I never "hot rodded" the car either... This is the second motor..... something is not right.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

I'd question the gauge itself with those low numbers across all cylinders.

This is a Gen 1? Have you tried a WET compression test (little bit of oil) to see what the #'s look like?

As someone else said, these cars feel completely gutless in the summer on 87 octane. Try a tank or two of 93 and see if it perks up.
    plano-doug likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    170 is what people are posting.

The engine needs a 11.5 piston to hit close to 200.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)