Valve cover air leak AGAIN
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Valve cover air leak AGAIN

5th Gear

Valve cover air leak AGAIN

Today on my daily drive I noticed a rough idle and sort of a jerky hesitation during acceleration both symptoms im familiar with caused by a valve cover air leak. I pull over and under the hood I was able to confirm my suspicion. This is the second time I will have had the valve cover replaced once at 100k and now at 180k. If im not mistaken the valve cover was redesigned and this happened to be after mine was originally replaced so hopefully this newly designed valve cover will last.

Information from the tech at the dealer from the orginal repair is as follows. Diag found lean code set po171 due to the pcv valve in valve cover leaking unmetered air into intake. Replaced leaking valve cover and cleared codes road tested no more ses light on.

5 CPV $ 246.66 ( This is labor I believe a bit high but nothing I can do about it )
    1 - 55573747 Seal $ 22.29
    1 - 55573746 Cover $ 69.53
    1 - 3308 CSO - 3 Charges $ 15.72

So basically this is what im assuming and expecting to pay again.

When removing the valve cover will the tech remove the coil pack ? Im wondering if this is the case I should ask to have the plugs replaced with a labor discount. Considering the plugs have 60k miles I think now might be a good time otherwise I will wait until 200k when I have the leaking coolant pump, serp belt and o2 sensors replaced.
    Last edited by CruzeEcoBlueTopaz; 01-15-2014 at 12:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Bring the previous identicle repair to your dealers attention.....G.M. is applying a lifetime warranty to many 'Customer Pay' repairs and this may fall into the catagory.
    Yes, the coil pack must be removed.

Keep in touch,
    Rob

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Wow. These PCV things are dropping like flies. How long ago was the previous one replaced? I seem to recall it was within the past year or so?
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Are you getting warning lights when this is happening? Lately I havebeen getting some rough idle and even changed gasoline brands and still have it at times.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Wow. These PCV things are dropping like flies. How long ago was the previous one replaced? I seem to recall it was within the past year or so?
    With his daily mileage it was last month
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

5th Gear
    This is interesting.... my purchase date was March 20th 2012 ( 5 miles ) the original valve cover was replaced March 23rd 2013 ( 101k miles ) or 12 months later. This will be the second time the valve cover is replaced Jan 15th 2014 ( 179k miles ) or 10 months. Im starting to notice a pattern developing.

Quote Originally Posted by cruze2011white View Post
    Are you getting warning lights when this is happening? Lately I havebeen getting some rough idle and even changed gasoline brands and still have it at times.
    So from the time I started to notice the rough idle and hesitation it was 25 miles of driving before the indicator lamp was illuminated and the car put out a code. Thankfully I have a scanguage and was able to determine the 2 codes being PO15B and PO171

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by CruzeEcoBlueTopaz View Post
    This is interesting.... my purchase date was March 20th 2012 ( 5 miles ) the original valve cover was replaced March 23rd 2013 ( 101k miles ) or 12 months later. This will be the second time the valve cover is replaced Jan 15th 2014 ( 179k miles ) or 10 months. Im starting to notice a pattern developing.

So from the time I started to notice the rough idle and hesitation it was 25 miles of driving before the indicator lamp was illuminated and the car put out a code. Thankfully I have a scanguage and was able to determine the 2 codes being PO15B and PO171
    I know GM dealers offer a 1-year warranty on replacement parts installed. I'm not sure if there's a mileage limit.

But I would bring up the concern that this was replaced before and has failed again inside of a year. Hopefully they will cover the repair free of charge.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5th Gear
    I know GM dealers offer a 1-year warranty on replacement parts installed. I'm not sure if there's a mileage limit.

But I would bring up the concern that this was replaced before and has failed again inside of a year. Hopefully they will cover the repair free of charge.
    Im expecting to pay out of pocket the dealer warranty I believe is 1yr or 12k miles.

Im very pleased to say after 22 months or 180k miles I have only spent $ 750 for repairs both caused by leaking valve covers. The reason I mention this is because Im proud to have trusted the craftsmanship of this intelligently engineered cruze bulit in america. I declind the $ 2,200 extended warranty for a reason and I think I have saved money because of my decision.

Now im approaching 200k and with it will come additional maintenance costs such as replacing the serp belt, a leaking coolant pump, o2 sensors and spark plugs. Keep in mind im using the original brake pads which there is only a matter of time before I start to hear the dreaded $ 600 wear indicator noise.

But all things considered I dont mind replacing the valve cover its a minor inconvience and I will be back on the road in no time.

BOOOOST!
    I really thought the PCV valve for the 1.4L engine was in a tube assembly that attached to the valve cover. I remember reading posts where the original valve cover had cracked and been replaced, but I guess I didn't realize that the valve cover and PCV valve are one piece.

I thought the hose that contains the PCV connected to the valve cover on one end of the hose, and down by the turbo on the other? Maybe I'm wrong.
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 78,000 Miles as of 1/19
    Looking for EV for next car.. Bolt or maybe Model 3 if Chevy doesn't speed up their EV's to the marketplace!

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by carbon02 View Post
    I thought the hose that contains the PCV connected to the valve cover on one end of the hose, and down by the turbo on the other? Maybe I'm wrong.
    The diaphragm in the valve cover opens/shuts depending where vacuum is coming from. That can be from the intake manifold (when coasting or at idle) or from the turbo (when under boost).

I think the tube from the intake manifold to turbo provides vacuum under the "no boost" condition above - to suck oil out of the intake hose where it has escaped past the turbo seals.

There's yet another hose into the front of the air intake box that I believe provides vacuum for the PCV system under positive boost conditions.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)