LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK - N140417 - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK - N140417

5th Gear
    I would wait until you have coolant loss before you report.
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Apparently there is no dealership back to GM reporting on this. My coolant had vented down to about a quarter inch below the bottom of the arrow. Topped off with no questions. I did discuss putting a thicker o-ring on my pressure cap (lower o-ring) but they didn't have one that was 4.5mm thick. The o-ring on our caps is 4 mm thick and I know for a fact, based on coolant residue in the vent channel, that my coolant loss is through the pressure cap.

Basically this item is simply to instruct dealerships to just refill the surge tank without charging for the coolant.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Eddy Cruze is online now [OP]
    World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Basically this item is simply to instruct dealerships to just refill the surge tank without charging for the coolant.
    Oh well that's no good? They charge to top off fluids? I get a 47 point inspection and they top off all fluids. Probably just stick water in it. My reserve tank with our 116 degree weather is looking fine, AND I smell less whisps of the Red stuff with the A/C running pretty much 24/7 this time of year!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion
    Interesting... at the very least the problem seems to be on their radar. I wonder if some of those class action suits have anything to do with this?

For anyone interested, my thicker o-ring fix has been in my car for quite a while now and coolant level is holding steady. PM me for details if interested, but since this is getting the General's attention (finally) you may wish to hold out on a DIY fix until whatever comes of this takes place.

For the record, my car lost coolant (venting through the cap) until I paid out of pocket to buy a new surge tank that didn't have a manufacturing defect in the cap throat, and installed a thicker o-ring to increase the seal load between the cap and tank. It is actually very slightly over-filled by about 1/8" (topped it off on a non level surface) and it's not leaking or venting at all.

Fingers crossed that this leads to a fix.
    obermd and CruzzieQ like this.

Off-Road Champion CHEVYCRUZE RS's Avatar
    Interesting ..... I should check my coolant levels as well.
    ZZPerformance.com
    Rotiform.com

1983 Fiat 124 Spyder
    1990 Corvette C4 ZR1
    2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71
    2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS
    2009 Chevy Savanna 1500
    2018 BMW 328x Diesel

2nd Gear
    I just checked the website for my car after reading this. That make me go check my car. (This is the first time I've been thinking about it while the car is cold &#128514. Sure enough, mines really low! Almost below the pipes! It has an appointment at the dealer tomorrow anyways I'll bring that up with them too while it's there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Blue Angel likes this.
    2012 Silver Cruze 1LT A/T with the RS package Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Care View Post
    Hey Eddy,

This is a Customer Satisfaction Program bringing the reoccurring concerns of the dreaded coolant level people seemed to have been experiencing to a hopeful rest. This is for all 2011-2014 models with a 1.4L engine. Dealerships have been provided part information, and a background as to what needs to be repaired. Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. We would be happy to discuss more in a private message.

Patsy G
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    can you explain parts information and what needs repaired
    connorsel likes this.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Apparently there is no dealership back to GM reporting on this.
    So the Program is just to have dealerships top off coolant for free? There is no notification back to GM about cars affected? I wonder if this means they have something currently in the works, or if this is the solution?
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonWICruze View Post
    I called a couple of area dealerships about this recall today, and they essentially told me all they'll do is check and top-off my coolant. I haven't had my Cruze very long, and haven't noticed any coolant loss yet. Should I still report for this recall?
    Hey there,

It wouldn't be a bad idea to just get it checked out! Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this.

Patsy G
    Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by au201 View Post
    I just checked the website for my car after reading this. That make me go check my car. (This is the first time I've been thinking about it while the car is cold &#128514. Sure enough, mines really low! Almost below the pipes! It has an appointment at the dealer tomorrow anyways I'll bring that up with them too while it's there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Hello,

Please let me know how everything goes at the dealership tomorrow. I appreciate any feedback or update!

Patsy G
    Chevrolet Customer Care

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now