Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK - N140417

201K views 276 replies 81 participants last post by  CHEVYCRUZE RS 
#1 · (Edited)
We understand that you liked the daily updates that the website offered, Eddy Cruze. We will be happy to scan your VIN for any open recalls. Please send us a PM with your VIN and we can keep you updated as well!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I really appreciate your help and was feeling quite good until I just woke up this morning. Now the Recall Center is back and a new Recall/Service Campaign is waiting for me. Not what I wanted to see?

• VIN: 1G1
  • Results last updated: Aug 13, 2014
YOUR VEHICLE MAY BE SUBJECT TO A RECALL. CALL THE PHONE NUMBER LISTED BELOW FOR YOUR MAKE OF VEHICLE.

You can reach those numbers Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST.

We are making changes to our website that will soon provide more comprehensive information on recalls, but for now, please take the time to call to get the most current information.

The following recalls have been found for your 2014 Chevrolet Cruze

• VIN
Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.
Safety & Non-Compliance Recalls

What's this?

Other Programs for Your Vehicle

What's this?

• GM Program #:
  • N140417

• Date Issued:
  • Jul 14, 2014

Program Title:
LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK
Program Description:
Safety Risk Description:
Repair Description:
[HR][/HR]Program Status: INCOMPLETE

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Eddy,

This is a Customer Satisfaction Program bringing the reoccurring concerns of the dreaded coolant level people seemed to have been experiencing to a hopeful rest. This is for all 2011-2014 models with a 1.4L engine. Dealerships have been provided part information, and a background as to what needs to be repaired. Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. We would be happy to discuss more in a private message.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#3 ·
I really appreciate your help and was feeling quite good until I just woke up this morning. Now the Recall Center is back and a new Recall/Service Campaign is waiting for me. Not what I wanted to see?

• VIN: 1G1
YOUR VEHICLE MAY BE SUBJECT TO A RECALL. CALL THE PHONE NUMBER LISTED BELOW FOR YOUR MAKE OF VEHICLE.

You can reach those numbers Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST.

We are making changes to our website that will soon provide more comprehensive information on recalls, but for now, please take the time to call to get the most current information.

The following recalls have been found for your 2014 Chevrolet Cruze

• VIN
Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.
Safety & Non-Compliance Recalls

What's this?

Other Programs for Your Vehicle

What's this?

• GM Program #:
  • N140417

• Date Issued:
  • Jul 14, 2014

Program Title:
LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK
Program Description:
Safety Risk Description:
Repair Description:
[HR][/HR]Program Status: INCOMPLETE
Maybe GM will finally get to the bottom of the remaining coolant leak. I'm stopping by my dealership this afternoon to check on this. My suspicion is that it's related to our pressure caps not sealing properly.

#4 ·
If so, this is great news. Hopefully I can get more information before I take my Cruze back for the axle recall (ordered axle for an automatic Cruze) and have them take another look at my slow coolant loss issue. They only pressure tested and then topped off the first time around. Otherwise I'm just going to throw a bigger o-ring on the coolant reservoir cap like Blue Angel suggested.

#6 ·
This currently appears to be a data gathering bulletin. It says to verify there's no air left in the system after a refill, top if off, and report the car to GM.

#8 ·
As far as I can tell - yes. There is still an unresolved coolant loss in the LT, LTZ, and ECO trims and it appears GM is trying to get a feel for how widespread it is. I suspect somewhere around 90% of these trims are losing coolant for no apparent reason or odor.

#9 ·
Entering my VIN into recalls.GM.com gives me the same program N140417.
I really hope news of GM Program number N140417 spreads far and wide. Finally, we might get an official fix from GM on this issue if enough people come forward. I will be letting my dealership know about N140417 asap. I'm also going to throw a link to this thread in my coolant loss poll thread to get as much exposure as possible.

#19 ·
Hey there,

It wouldn't be a bad idea to just get it checked out! Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#12 ·
Apparently there is no dealership back to GM reporting on this. My coolant had vented down to about a quarter inch below the bottom of the arrow. Topped off with no questions. I did discuss putting a thicker o-ring on my pressure cap (lower o-ring) but they didn't have one that was 4.5mm thick. The o-ring on our caps is 4 mm thick and I know for a fact, based on coolant residue in the vent channel, that my coolant loss is through the pressure cap.

Basically this item is simply to instruct dealerships to just refill the surge tank without charging for the coolant.

#13 ·
Basically this item is simply to instruct dealerships to just refill the surge tank without charging for the coolant.
Oh well that's no good? They charge to top off fluids? I get a 47 point inspection and they top off all fluids. Probably just stick water in it. My reserve tank with our 116 degree weather is looking fine, AND I smell less whisps of the Red stuff with the A/C running pretty much 24/7 this time of year!

#14 ·
Interesting... at the very least the problem seems to be on their radar. I wonder if some of those class action suits have anything to do with this?

For anyone interested, my thicker o-ring fix has been in my car for quite a while now and coolant level is holding steady. PM me for details if interested, but since this is getting the General's attention (finally) you may wish to hold out on a DIY fix until whatever comes of this takes place.

For the record, my car lost coolant (venting through the cap) until I paid out of pocket to buy a new surge tank that didn't have a manufacturing defect in the cap throat, and installed a thicker o-ring to increase the seal load between the cap and tank. It is actually very slightly over-filled by about 1/8" (topped it off on a non level surface) and it's not leaking or venting at all.

Fingers crossed that this leads to a fix.

#16 ·
I just checked the website for my car after reading this. That make me go check my car. (This is the first time I've been thinking about it while the car is cold ?). Sure enough, mines really low! Almost below the pipes! It has an appointment at the dealer tomorrow anyways I'll bring that up with them too while it's there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
I just checked the website for my car after reading this. That make me go check my car. (This is the first time I've been thinking about it while the car is cold ?). Sure enough, mines really low! Almost below the pipes! It has an appointment at the dealer tomorrow anyways I'll bring that up with them too while it's there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hello,

Please let me know how everything goes at the dealership tomorrow. I appreciate any feedback or update!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#21 ·
I am not to concerned with a little cooland loss. the venting is normal on the modern car. All of my BMW's need a top off every year or 15000 miles with about two cups worth. They are twin turbos run real hot and vent extra pressure. My new jeep Grand Cherokee is doing the same and I can smell it venting in the garage. It took about a cup the first 12000 miles and there is no leak.

Now with that being said, when I drive my Cruze hard on a hot day and turn it off, I can hear the coolant boiling in the coolant feed to the turbo and the bubbles bubbling up to the cooland tank. This builds pressure and gets released to atmosphere (the water portion). This will always be the case on this car. If you make the seal stronger or install a higher pressure tank, it will crack. My fellow BMW friends don't complain this much about having to add coolant and maybe that is because the tank is black and not clear and holds way more than our Cruze. Now if the water pump is leaking, different story but GM has stated that seapage is normal with our style of pump.

#22 ·
I am not to concerned with a little cooland loss. the venting is normal on the modern car. All of my BMW's need a top off every year or 15000 miles with about two cups worth. They are twin turbos run real hot and vent extra pressure. My new jeep Grand Cherokee is doing the same and I can smell it venting in the garage.
My fellow BMW friends don't complain this much about having to add coolant and maybe that is because the tank is black and not clear and holds way more than our Cruze. Now if the water pump is leaking, different story but GM has stated that seapage is normal with our style of pump.
Maybe because you expect more maintenance to come standard with BMWs? :tongue: I disagree that loosing coolant should be considered normal on a modern car. BMW has had a long standing problem with this issue, and Chysler is well... Chrysler. It is called a 'closed' system for a reason.
And I wouldn't trust everything that is told to me at face value. 'Seepage' from a water pump is still a leak, which appears to have been fixed with the current water pump design. Why would GM redesign the water pump at least 3 times if they considered the 'seepage' normal?

#26 ·
Eddy,

Some dealerships do indeed charge for fluid top offs, especially if you don't use them for routine service. This notice to dealerships tells them to not do this for coolant.

To All,

The notice to dealerships specifically mentions that there may be air left in the cooling system after it is filled at the factory or after any repair requiring the cooling system be emptied. This is a valid concern - I have seen the procedures for filling the coolant system in the Cruze. There are multiple places in this cooling system that have local "high" spots where air will collect. While you drive the normal sloshing of a non full liquid container will bubble the captured air out of the system where it will eventually end up in the surge tank. This is normal and will result in the cooling system appearing to have lost coolant. N140417 only addresses this issue. It doesn't address the issue of the surge tank/cap not holding the cap rated 20 PSI. Sometime this past spring Blue Angel put a slightly larger diameter o-ring on his pressure cap and has reported no coolant loss since then. You can tell if your coolant loss is via the tank/cap interface by very carefully looking at the vent on the top of the tank. This vent points to the driver's side of the car. If you see reddish/yellowish residue or staining you are loosing coolant through your cap. If your dealership will do so, have them put GM's florescent coolant leak dye into your surge tank. The vent will then have actual flecks of this dye in it.

#28 ·
Eddy,

Some dealerships do indeed charge for fluid top offs, especially if you don't use them for routine service. This notice to dealerships tells them to not do this for coolant.
In my over 50 years on Planet Earth I have never been charged a separate charge to top off fluids? It is either covered in the 'Shop Charge' or the price of the service provided, or just not done for free as promised. AND they might put water in as your only free fluid. Out of curiosity what have you paid for a fluid top off. Is there a such thing?

#34 ·
Interesting - I didn't even get an invoice for this one. Maybe its because my dealership doesn't charge me for fluid top offs at all. I wonder if the word "RECALL" is simply hard coded into GM's system for any notice to dealerships.

#37 ·
The reason for issuing this recall is do to a air pocket that is in the cooling system from the factory on all 1.4L ecotec not just the cruze it's worse on the volts because on the volts this pocket causes the 1.4L to go into limp and CEL mode

#38 ·
I can believe low coolant can put a Volt into limp mode. The engine coolant is also used to maintain the Volt's battery temperatures.

#45 ·
Does anybody think this "Low Engine Coolant Level" Recall N140417 would have anything to do with the buzzing sound I get when I shut my 2012 LT down? Could it also have anything to do with my outside temperature sensor being about 20 degrees off (Goes in Tuesday for the outside temp issue)

#56 · (Edited)
I went in to have my sun visor clip repaired and the dealer told me this recall was pending so they repaired it for me. I thought my Coolant level looked low but didn't think too much about it. Haven't checked it after the repair. I never got a light or message about it before the recall.

FYI the visor clip, when I went in a couple weeks ago to have fixed, the service adviser ordered the entire visor assembly. It came in and I never heard about it so when I went in to get my lug nut I asked and they pulled the visor assembly out and it did not have the clip in so I told the parts manager what I needed and he said I got that. So they installed the $3 clip and sent back the visor assembly. Took about .5 hours so I was it quick and they took care of the recall also. When I went to the dealer I bought from, they said nothing about the recall and had to order the clip and I would have to drive @20 miles during the week to this dealer into Kentucky. Kinda sorry I bought from them. At the time they had a "left over" 2012 Eco 6M at the beginning of the 2013 model year and I was trying to replace my totaled 2011 so....

I also mentioned the trunk popping open with my touchy FOB so they gave me a rubber sleeve to put over the FOB I figured the rubber sleeve would "distance" from hitting the trunk button and so far the trunk has not popped open yet. It looks something like one one of these rubber ones:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=FOB+covers&rh=n:15684181,k:FOB+covers

#62 ·
I also mentioned the trunk popping open with my touchy FOB so they gave me a rubber sleeve to put over the FOB I figured the rubber sleeve would "distance" from hitting the trunk button and so far the trunk has not popped open yet. It looks something like one one of these rubber ones:
Amazon.com: FOB covers: Automotive
PI0924B: Intermittent Unwanted Trunk opening While Vehicle Is Parked
The legit fix is Part # 191119267 for 13 and under Cruze. If you are a 2014 reading this, the "2 shot" is now accomplished with a computer reflash to make it a "press and hold" trunk button to open feature. Most the 2014 rentals I been in have not had this done yet. I would prefer this over pressing the exterior trunk button 2 times at a perfect rhythm to open. I still rather fidget with the trunk button than find the trunk wide open with all the Christmas presents gone.

Page 7
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/June-Techlink-2014-F.pdf

#59 ·
My coolant level is low as well, noticed it the other day. My car's in the body shop at the dealer, might give them a call tomorrow and have them do this when she's done in the body shop.

#61 ·
As far as I know, the only way you would know if you had air in your system would be, after filling it to the proper level, noticing a rapid decrease in the level with no leak to show for it (as in the title of this thread). If an air bubble escapes and is replaced by coolant, the coolant level in the tank will drop correspondingly.

If your level is really low, fill to the cold fill line (with engine off and cool!), drive for a day or so and check the level again. There's a good chance some air will have come out of the system and you'll need to top the tank up again. It could take several days of driving to work all the air out, so monitoring the level closely for a week or so after filling would be a good idea.

Periodically reving the engine between 2000 and 3000 RPM is often recommended for getting trapped air out of an engine.

#64 ·
Just checked my level....one notch below the mark with the arrow. 2014 cruze 1.4l eco turbo. 8100 miles.

Water Auto part

The manual says to tighten the cap til it's tight......but on mine I can only rotate it until a certain point then it "locks" into place and can't tighten anymore. But I can still wiggle it side to side and up and down a little bit when its "locked" into place, is this normal? Might be why it is losing coolant. All my other cars I can just tighten the cap hand tight and they don't wiggle at all.

#66 ·
Just searched vin, it just has the coolant recall thing.

I'm taking it in anyways for an alignment issue I have had since I bought it. Car would go to the left when I let off steering wheel, brought it in at about 3k miles and they did an alignment and it was off and they put it back into spec. It still did it afterwards. I got a tire rotation wednesday now it pulls to the right. I am going in tuesday, told them it is probably a bad batch of tires, hopefully I get a new set of tires.

Anyways, i'll probably buy my own coolant and fill it up just a bit myself. Hate when other people do crap to my car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.