Cruze not starting and smells Rich
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruze not starting and smells Rich

jmaawhaley is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Cruze not starting and smells Rich

Hi All:

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I searched and could not find anything similar...

2013 Cruze 1.8L with just over 90000 miles. Tries to start but can't and it smells very rich. It was starting not long ago, but would idle rough and then act like it ran out of gas with no CEL. I have changed the fuel pump, Mass Air Sensor and valve cover (PCV built in) with no luck...

Can anyone else think of anything to try before I take it somewhere? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze Thebigzeus's Avatar
    Well an engine needs 3 things to run... air, fuel, and spark. Sound like you may have one of them checked off if it smells rich. I'd concentrate on the other two and see where you end up. Do you have spark? Will it start with starting fluid?

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaawhaley View Post
    Hi All:

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I searched and could not find anything similar...

2013 Cruze 1.8L with just over 90000 miles. Tries to start but can't and it smells very rich. It was starting not long ago, but would idle rough and then act like it ran out of gas with no CEL. I have changed the fuel pump, Mass Air Sensor and valve cover (PCV built in) with no luck...

Can anyone else think of anything to try before I take it somewhere? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Welcome Aboard!

After you figure out what is wrong with the Cruze, don't forget to intoduce yourself and your Cruze here.

Make sure the fuel pump solenoid is working. Open the hood and the drivers window. Reach in and turn the key on - do not crank - and listen for two things. The relay under the hood click on for a few seconds and then back off. Now, when doing that, listen for the fuel pump. It should run when the relay control circut is active.

If those things are good, make sure your fuel filter is also good.

If all is well so far, have a look at this. It is for a 1.4 but I would think the basic operation is very similar. This is abit above me, but I figured, why not.

The next thing to look at is spark.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

jmaawhaley is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Thanks for the welcome! So here is an update - I unhooked the battery and let it sit overnight. Woke up this morning, hooked the battery back up and it started again. Ran very rough, but it did start and had a CEL now. Still had an extreme rich smell. On the way home from work, stopped by parts store and rented an OBD-II reader and found a P0300 code, No other codes. Took off the coil pack assembly and took the plugs out. They were black. Cleaned them up, put them back in, and fired it up. It ran decent for a few minutes but then started to miss again and eventually die. I had just changed the plugs a few months back (along with timing belt, serpentine belt and water pump). Could it be the coil pack assembly? Do they slowly go bad or do they either work / not work? Or, I was reading about vacuum leaks also... Again any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Coil packs fail left and right on these cars, but usually not like this. I would hold off on that. It sounds like something is causing it just to dump gas.

Do you still have the old MAF? Swap that in and give it a try.

Does your OBD tool happen to show what the coolant temp sensor thinks the temperature is? I have seen these fail and cause an extremely hard, rich start. Haven't seen this on a Cruze specifically, but the coolant temp sensors have been known to go bad as well. How about the outside temp display on the radio - is that accurate?

FYI, holding the gas pedal to the floor in GM cars enters a "flood clear" mode that shuts off the injectors and holds the throttle plate open. Might help you get it going if it smells super rich again.
    Last edited by jblackburn; 04-17-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Formula One Champion
    A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
    Faulty coil (pack)
    Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    Faulty fuel injector(s)
    Burned exhaust valve
    Faulty catalytic converter(s)
    Stuck/blocked/leaking EGR valve / passages
    Faulty camshaft position sensor
    Defective computer

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0300
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

9. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)