Updated Quick and Dirty Mylink Upgrade DIY for Gen 1 Cruzes
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Updated Quick and Dirty Mylink Upgrade DIY for Gen 1 Cruzes

2nd Gear
    These directions are for updating from the basic 4" radio to a NON-Navigational Mylink radio ONLY.

1) Buy a Mylink silver box specifically from a Chevrolet Cruze. I recommend part number 23284452, but the following part numbers have also been tested: 23184129 & 23476256. (Part number 23495273 has NOT been tested, but should also work.)

Tip #1: Ask the seller to verify the radio comes from a Cruze with the same speaker setup as yours. Basic speakers is RPO code UZ9. Premium speakers with amplifier is RPO code UQA.

Tip #2: If you want/need the backup camera feature, ask the seller to verify the radio comes from a Cruze with RPO code UVC.

Tip #3: The backup camera is a standard feature on the LTZ model.

2) Buy a center console control panel from a 2013-2015 Cruze or 2016 Cruze Limited. Make certain it has an actual home screen button on it above the cd player slot. (The button looks like a house.) Also buy a 7" Mylink touchscreen and plastic display bezel. This can come from practically any 2011-2015 GM vehicle.

Tip: Shop smart and you could get all 4 parts for between $75 & $100 total, shipping included.

3) Call Anthony at MVI and order the harness kit. Contact Page
    This will cost you $250. Tell them you need a Chevy Cruze Mylink Upgrade harness with Twinax cable. When asked if the radio is unlocked, tell them it is. Also tell them it is the non-navigation model.

Tip: Dhpnet has posted a diagram of their own wiring harness. Link
    If you feel adventurous or are good with wiring, you can probably save money using that
    instead. You will need to purchase the Twinax cable and USB cable separately.

4) Reprogram the VIN in the silverbox yourself. It's fairly simple to do and all it takes is about an hour and $15 for an usb EEPROM programmer and clip. If you don't feel comfortable taking apart the radio, ask a younger family member (preferably between 3 and 5 years old) to do it for you. You might have to bribe them to put it all back together when done however. Directions are in post #3.

4a) The recommended method of VIN change is to just zero out the vin on the new radio. That will put it into relearn mode when your vehicle is started for the first time after installation.

Tip #1: A dealer most likely will not change the VIN as this isn't an offical GM upgrade. And if they agree to do it, most likely will charge you an arm and a leg for the effort.

Tip #2: Do not send the radio to anyone advertising expensive reprogramming services. Cruze radios are moderately self contained systems with minimal interaction with the rest of the vehicle and do not need anything changed besides the VIN. (A Cruze will run quite happily without a radio installed, you however will not be very happy without one installed)

5) Installation directions are here. If you made your own harness using dhpnet's diagram, refer to that for installation.

Thanks go to modalita for their original work on this upgrade so many years ago, dhpnet for their work on a wiring harness alternative and ChevyGuy for help with figuring out the best way to change the VIN.

Mods, I know there probably won't be a lot of people interested in this thread, but can it be stickied?
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 03-17-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    Merc6, dhpnet, Blasirl and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    To upgrade from the basic 4" radio to a Navigation Mylink radio, the directions are a little different.

1) Purchase a navigation silver box. I do not have part numbers for those at present.

2) Purchase a navigation control panel. This type has a more complicated center dial arrangement on it. I do not have part numbers for this at present.

3) You will need to tell Anthony at MVI that you need a Chevy Cruze Mylink Upgrade harness with Twimax cable as before but let them know you have a navigation unit so you get the necessary hardware with it. That will run about $300.

3) You can use dhpnet's harness still, but you will need to purchase a GPS antenna separately in addition to the twinax cable and usb cable..

Rest is the same.
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 03-16-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    Merc6 and cruzetuner like this.

2nd Gear

Directions on how to reprogram the VIN chip

First, locate the VIN chip. This requires completely disassembling the new radio.

The chip you are looking for is on the bottom side of the 2nd circuit board (not the one on the riser):

IMG_0012.JPG

Then, you need a CH341A EEPROM reader/writer, like this:

USB BIOS EEPROM SPI FLASH Programmer CH341A 24 25 series

You can remove the chip from the board to program it, or you can purchase a SOIC8 EEPROM test clip, like this. The test clip allows you to program the chip without removing it from the PC board.

Soic8 Sop8 Flash Chip Ic Test Clips Socket Adpter Bios/24/25/93

You need to connect the reader to your computer and install the drivers and software. Here is a video that explains this. The video also has links to the software and instructions on how to read and program the chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYe21nFSDI

You need to connect the chip to the reader so that pin 1 is nearest to the lever that holds/releases the chip from the reader.

It would probably be best to first make a backup of the chip in case anything goes wrong. Then you can view the contents of the chip. In the software, the left side of the screen shows the actual program, which is displayed in Hexadecimal numbers. The right side shows a translation in plain text.

The chip is write protected, so you need to either desolder pin 7 or remove the small resistor to reprogram the chip.

Navigation Mylinks appear to not have the write protection enabled. So you will not need to desolder the pin or remove the resistor on that type.

Thanks go to dphnet for their original post expanding on my original directions and information about the chip.
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 03-17-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    Merc6, dhpnet, Blasirl and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BOOOOST!
    Wow!

I'm always intrigued with people who dissect electronics to this point! I commend all the time you have into this mod. I need to read it again to fully understand everything going on.

The only thing that scares me is getting access to the chip and removing it to program. I guess if you were comfortable with electronics this isn't that bad.
    Mochenmat14 and lvcordov like this.
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 78,000 Miles as of 1/19
    Looking for EV for next car.. Bolt or maybe Model 3 if Chevy doesn't speed up their EV's to the marketplace!

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by carbon02 View Post
    The only thing that scares me is getting access to the chip and removing it to program. I guess if you were comfortable with electronics this isn't that bad.
    For access, you need a #2 Phillips screwdriver. You're going to take things apart. If you use the clip, you really only need to be handy with tools. No soldering required.
    Merc6 and Blasirl like this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisCPhT View Post
    he following part numbers have been tested: 23184129 (2014 model year), 23476256 (2015 model year), and 23284452 (2016 model year & the one I currently recommend).
    I have also tested 23206821 from a 2014 LTZ. But, I think any MyLink that came out of a Cruze should work. I agree with recommending the 2016 radio. Why not get one with the most current hardware and software available?
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dhpnet View Post
    Why not get one with the most current hardware and software available?
    You mean the one that might be the most incompatible with the rest of the car? We don't know what changes were made in the BCM to radio communication over the years. I think the feature set improvements between the 2015 and the 2016 is pretty minor compared to 2015 against the prior years.

The 2016 clearly went though some kind of redesign since it only has one Bluetooth antenna. I'm still looking for the hardware differences between the 2013 and the 2015. I haven't found any yet. There's clearly feature differences, but I haven't found any hardware changes.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    You mean the one that might be the most incompatible with the rest of the car? We don't know what changes were made in the BCM to radio communication over the years. I think the feature set improvements between the 2015 and the 2016 is pretty minor compared to 2015 against the prior years.

The 2016 clearly went though some kind of redesign since it only has one Bluetooth antenna. I'm still looking for the hardware differences between the 2013 and the 2015. I haven't found any yet. There's clearly feature differences, but I haven't found any hardware changes.
    I think I've pretty much determined that the BCM doesn't care about communication with the radio. It quite happily tossed all the radios I tested into backup camera mode when I shifted into reverse, even the Verano radio and has never caused any kind of issue with them. (Actually, it doesn't really seem to care about much since I added fog lights without needing a reprogram)

The Bluetooth change started in late 2013. They kept the original case, but dropped 1 antenna. Then in late 2014 they switched the design to the new centrally positioned single antenna case. After that, later p/n had newer software build dates, but still had the 20nov2014 hardware build date. They also continued to use the older 2 Bluetooth antenna design during the same period. Guess they had a lot of them in stock.

Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 03-17-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Group B Rally Champion

Actually, the Bluetooth change started in 2015. They kept the original case, but dropped 1 antenna.
    I'm pretty sure the one I have has two antennas with connections to the PCB. You mean they introduced the 2016 P/N in 2015?
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Retired Moderator
    I think I've pretty much determined that the BCM doesn't care about communication with the radio. It quite happily tossed all the radios I tested into backup camera mode when I shifted into reverse, even the Verano radio and has never caused any kind of issue with them. (Actually, it doesn't really seem to care about much since I added fog lights without needing a reprogram)

The Bluetooth change started in late 2013. They kept the original case, but dropped 1 antenna. Then in late 2014 they switched the design to the new centrally positioned single antenna case. After that, later p/n had newer software build dates, but still had the 20nov2014 hardware build date. They also continued to use the older 2 Bluetooth antenna design during the same period. Guess they had a lot of them in stock.

This is only an issue for 2013 cars built in 2012 up to about 25 March of 2013.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1965
    Blasirl likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)