BCM EEPROM Goodness or How to add OEM remote start
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: BCM EEPROM Goodness or How to add OEM remote start

2nd Gear

BCM EEPROM Goodness or How to add OEM remote start

In my quest to find a way to add factory remote start to my 2011 Cruze, (and my side quest for a cure for a bad case of boredom mixed with inquisitiveness), I took a look at a BCM pulled from a 2014 Cruze with remote start.

The first thing I did was immediately investigate the internals. It didn't take long to find an 8 pin 24C16WT sitting by itself. A quick google search revealed that it was the eeprom I was looking for.

Digging out my recently replaced usb reader and adapter clip, I hooked it up to my Surface Pro and read the chip. Just like the radio silver boxes, it comes out mostly as random gibberish but 3 things are in clear text format:

1) the BCM's serial number
    2) the donor car's VIN
    3) what appears to be a 4 digit security code

I switched the vin to match that of my car and swapped it out. While the new BCM did trigger the anti-theft start lock out and threw a fit about my TPMS needing to be serviced, my car did not outright reject the "new" unit. I was able to access the setting menu through my radio and immediately I noticed a new setting for Remote Start Auto Heated Seats (sorry, can't remember the section name). Remote start itself did not appear in the appropriate section, but I ignored that as I wasn't 100% certain I had the right hood latch in my Cruze.

The next thing I decided to try was cloning my original BCM's eeprom and see what happened. I made backups of both chips, then flashed my 2011 dump to the 2014. A quick reassemble and the new bcm was plugged back in.

This time the results were a bit different:

1) the reported mileage had changed and now matched what I knew was the current amount
    2) the anti-theft lock out did not trigger and I was able to start my car right up
    3) it still showed the setting for the remote start heated seats

So while it probably was to be expected that the vehicle's mileage would be stored in the chip, it's interesting that the resistor value for our keys is also stored there and both are able to be transferred over without affecting the options programmed into the BCM at the factory.
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 05-06-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    ChevyGuy, Blasirl, Taxman and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Very interesting information.

So you're a Pharmacy Tech who has an Electrical Engineering degree? Pretty cool.

You remind me a lot of a guy I know thru the Duramax community. He's researched many of the same things for our trucks and came up with a lot of add-ons and mods that way.

2nd Gear
    LOL! The only "degrees" I have are my high school diploma and pharmacy tech certification.
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 05-06-2018 at 03:57 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Nicely done.

Things like VIN, Serial Numbers, etc, are almost always stored in a section of the cache that can be rewritten as you please. That is... There's no signature or checksum or anything like that.

Group B Rally Champion

Seems like a reoccurring pattern. Stuff that gets changed has it's own storage separate from the software. Probably to prevent the software from getting overwritten.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

2nd Gear
    It also applies to the instrument panel. There is a distinct size difference in this chip and the one in the silverboxes. That chip was a 16k and this one is only a 2k.

2nd Gear
    And, the test is a success. I now have oem remote start

To add it you just need the following items:

1) BCM programmed for remote start (opt BTV)
    2) hood latch for 2012-15 Cruze/2016 Cruze Limited (part number 95463828)
    3) 5 button key fob w/ remote start function

How to:

1) Get your bcm reprogrammed* and program your new fobs to your vehicle. Optionally, you can use an onstar module already programmed for remote start instead of new key fobs. It is a straight switch out, but you will need (at the very least) the free basic onstar plan to have access to the key fob section in the my chevrolet app. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to tell if one is already programmed for it.

2) Replace your existing hood latch with the new one. Don't forget to reconnect the wire harness.

3) Use your key fob or onstar via my chevrolet app to test the remote start.

*-At the present time, I do not recommend doing a BCM swap with a unit already programmed for remote start. Even though the eeprom clone will allow the new unit to pass the anti-theft systems, it can cause issues with other parts in the vehicle.... especially if you have a 2011. Unless Chevyguy, dhpnet & I can put our heads together and come up with a solution, you will have to either use a 3rd party reprogramming service or convince GM to enable the BTV option for your vin so a dealer can do the reprogram.
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 05-09-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added How To:
    Blasirl likes this.

Formula One Champion
    HowTo: please!
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

2nd Gear
    I reverted back to my original bcm due to 2 issues that may or may not be related to each other:

1) I can't set my cruze control while using the 2014 cruze bcm (The vehicle I pulled the test bcm from does have cruise installed w/ the same rpo code as my 11, and it can be turned off and on... just not set)

2) the a/c is dead set on frying me alive no matter what I do, even a battery reset (obviously a conflict with the 2011 hvac control module's programming and the test bcm)

Before anyone suggests replacing other parts, etc... remember, this was only a test to see if remote start could be added by doing a bcm swap + eeprom clone instead of having your original bcm reprogrammed.

Also, it seems that it should be possible to add the remote start without buying a new hood latch. The first thing I encountered after reinstalling my original bcm and starting my car was a warning message that my hood was open. Apparently the only difference between the 2011 hood latch and the 2012+ hood latch is the wiring for the switch. If someone else wishes to experiment with changing the wires around to see if they can get remote start working that way, let me know and I will gladly loan you my test bcm.
    Last edited by StLouisCPhT; 05-09-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: cleaned up post for grammar, politeness and so forth

I would try to divvy up the segments in the BCM.

Generally at the end or start of each segment will be some numbers specifying where it is, what the part number is, etc... You can then identify the ones you want to keep and update. It might even specify how big the segment is.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)