Never ending “Service Side Detection” on 2013 Cruze
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Never ending “Service Side Detection” on 2013 Cruze

94mustang is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

Never ending “Service Side Detection” on 2013 Cruze

I was hoping this problem would not resurface after I made every attempt to protect these Blind Spot Modules (Part # 22971842) from the elements this past summer. I very neatly covered them up with Gorilla tape and self-fusing silicone tape (see picture). I did this since these modules are exposed behind the rear tires and they have failed multiple times due to corrosion. I did not want to do anything permanent.

I was driving and the dreaded “Service side detection” came up again. When I tested them both sides are no longer working, they are just dead. In the past one side would go, then the other side would go. Keep in mind this car only has 77,000 KM on it (about 47,000 miles). Ironically today was the six-year anniversary of purchasing the car.

I brought it in and it says “Tech Cause: body code B101D ECU hardware left side detection module and harness damaged do to corrosion.” Apparently, I need a new harness. Total cost = $1,014.54!

They told me to call GM, to see if I can get the price down. I talked to a guy and he took my information and he is going to call the dealer. I called around 12:30 PM and never heard back as of writing this at 6:30 PM. I will be extremely surprised if GM will do anything to help at all.

The thing that annoys me most about this is the fact the general attitude is that once it is beyond its three-year warranty they are kind of like “that’s the way it goes, it is an old car”. Meanwhile my friends 2013 Nissan Altima with more miles on it has never had any modules or harnesses replaced. Sure, if this car was a 1973 I could see wiring harnesses rotting away due to age, but a six year old car?

Here is my history with the blind spot system on the car;

Dec-11-2014 (Right Side) 3-year warranty
    Jan-22-2015 (Left Side) 3-year warranty

Feb-07-2017 (Right Side) $339.00 (Was able to talk down price)
    Feb-09-2017 (Left Side) $226.00 (Was able to talk down price)

Feb-05-2018 (Right Side) 1 year GM part warranty

I know some might say “why do you not just leave it, that is just a luxury”. After reading many articles and forums, if you leave this problem too long eventually it will start messing up the entire electrical system causing a short. This can result in problems with electronics in the dashboard. Others might say “just have the system disabled and be done with it”. I asked the dealer that and according to them since it is a harness issue they cannot or will not do that.

I am seriously considering trading this car in for a more reliable Toyota. I don't care much for the looks of Toyota's, but at this point reliability is more important to me. Besides my 1994 Mustang is the looks car (which may I add gets the same mileage put onto it with far, far fewer problems). This Cruze has had multiple other issues since purchasing it in 2013, such as the transmission leaking. I truly believe this blind spot module issue cannot be corrected, and every year or two it is due for replacement.

I posted this for anyone that has this same issue. Also, I am interested in the comments.

IMG_0324.jpgIMG_0288.jpg
    Left picture with Self-fusion silicone tape and Gorilla tape. Right picture before tape. These are opposite sides.
    Last edited by 94mustang; 02-15-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    1994 Mustang Convertible 3.8L
    2013 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

following for how to disable said system cuz of same issues
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Time to find that all to handy chevy cruzen parts dispensory nearby that gets plenty of used right and left side blind spot modules in inventory . Shop around I bet you can find a place on the internet , web , or local wrecking establishment ..

I get me parts cheap from Georgia , Michigan and Shelby auctions ...
    Picked up 2 track struts from Michigan for $ 89.00 .. rear like brand new rotors and loaded calipers for $ 100.00 ..

Time to get into buying used parts ..............

An alternative is you may be able to turn that system off through the coding in the BCM or whet ever controls that specific option ..
    You can actually go in and change the as built data if your really sick of it ..

Ford utilizes Forscan .. there are peeps modifying with new tecnology for the 2018 s and installing the hardware into 2015 s ... head units , instrument clusters , BLIS .. do some research into what GM is using and find those programs in conjuction with an OBDII code readers with USB adapter .. Good Luck chuck ................
    Last edited by brian v; 02-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post
    following for how to disable said system cuz of same issues
    Yup, ours have been disconnected for a couple years now. Would be nice if we didn't have the message every startup, but it's muscle memory at this point just to clear it, so really not a big issue.

Would like it to work, but I'm not going to whine like a little baby and switch to some trash vehicle brand because of it. That said, I would love if they put special coverage on these things, as they should absolutely be sealed with how low they are mounted, inside a wet bumper. But it's easy enough to turn my head and actually look in the mirror since I would anyway - the system cannot catch everything.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    but I'm not going to whine like a little baby and switch to some trash vehicle brand because of it.
    Unfortunately, I am not a multi-millionaire, so I guess it makes me "a little baby" complaining about an issue on a car that in reality should last the lifetime of the car (which would be more than 47,000 miles and six years), but will cost me the consumer $1000 dollars due to poor engineering (this does not even include the five other times it has stopped working), something that GM chooses to ignore. Some have even started a class action lawsuit regarding this issue, link here.
    2013 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L

Touring Champion
    It doesn't affect how the car runs or drives, so...it's not like it means you need to buy a new car.

I do agree it should work, and it's one of the few class action suits that actually has merit. I was happy my Volt did not have blind spot sensors, as I knew what would happen to them.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    I found an interesting YouTube video, in which someone is diagnosing this problem. For anyone that reads this in the future, this shows the exact locations where they are located. Click link below;

Chevrolet cruze blind spot monitor diagnosis: Codes U0233-00
    brian v likes this.
    2013 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L

Learning about my Cruze
    Just a question out of curiosity. How does the harness go 'bad'? I would understand if it was accidentally ripped apart, or if it was 80 years old and the material was just breaking down due to age. It seems odd to me that they go 'bad' in only six years. I understand how corrosion can get into the connectors, but even then would that not just be due to poor engineering? We have been making cars for over 100 years, you think by now we would know what areas should be protected by the elements? Are car manufactures against the use of silicone?

Part of me wonders when you go to the dealership to have the car repaired that they do not fix or repair parts they only just replace. This is because, this is the protocol to follow while the car is still under warranty? Like if one had a leaky water pipe they would not replace all the water pipes in their house.
    2013 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L

Off-Road Champion
    Call me old school but I’d rather have a spare tire than all this new ‘tech’ like side detection, auto stop/start, TPMS, auto headlamps, etc (the Gen 1 diesels didn’t come with a spare).

And people wonder why car insurance is so high these days. A simple ‘fender bender’ runs into thousands with all the sensors around the vehicle.

Knock on wood, haven’t experienced this issue yet but that may be due to the dry, desert southwest environment here. Perhaps it’s the road salt fouling sensors/harnesses?

Thanks for sharing some great detail...hoping you find a cheaper, more lasting solution.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergoer View Post
    Call me old school but I’d rather have a spare tire than all this new ‘tech’ like side detection, auto stop/start, TPMS, auto headlamps, etc (the Gen 1 diesels didn’t come with a spare).

And people wonder why car insurance is so high these days. A simple ‘fender bender’ runs into thousands with all the sensors around the vehicle.

Knock on wood, haven’t experienced this issue yet but that may be due to the dry, desert southwest environment here. Perhaps it’s the road salt fouling sensors/harnesses?

Thanks for sharing some great detail...hoping you find a cheaper, more lasting solution.
    I had this uncle that passed away years ago, and when he bought a car he would get the stripped down model. For example even in the 90's he would refuse to buy a car that had power windows. The reason for that is he said that it would just be one more thing to break. Like my 1994 Mustang does not even have ABS breaks (never did), so that is one less expensive repair. Maybe he was not that far off.
    Rivergoer likes this.
    2013 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)