Side marker lights possible?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Side marker lights possible?

  1. #1
    Knapman is online now [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Side marker lights possible?

    Hi there so I have recently been working on a new bumper and I have filled in my marker lights and I would like to make cuts in the fenders a install marker lights there. I would like to install a set of oval amber side marker lights I like the style from the jetta. I found a pair pretty cheap online https://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Side-M...n-p/75-084.htm I was wondering if it would be possible to wire these into the current marker light wiring? Then just relocate the wiring to reach where I will be putting them in the fenders. I don't know much about wiring so I figured someone here might know a bit more.

    75-084-2.jpg

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Formula One Champion
    Blasirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Knapman View Post
    Hi there so I have recently been working on a new bumper and I have filled in my marker lights and I would like to make cuts in the fenders a install marker lights there. I would like to install a set of oval amber side marker lights I like the style from the jetta. I found a pair pretty cheap online https://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Side-M...n-p/75-084.htm I was wondering if it would be possible to wire these into the current marker light wiring? Then just relocate the wiring to reach where I will be putting them in the fenders. I don't know much about wiring so I figured someone here might know a bit more.

    75-084-2.jpg
    I would try and find the current draw or the lamp style that those markers require and match it up to the Cruze markers.

    Are you taking pictures? I was considering changing a few things on mine, but I am not a plastic guy, so I could use some visuals, materials info etc. Maybe you could write a How-To: on the process.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

  4. #3
    Group B Rally Champion

    ChevyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Knapman View Post
    I have filled in my marker lights and I would like to make cuts in the fenders a install marker lights there.
    Do you have safety inspections in your state? They might fail you for removing the side lights in the front. The lights you're adding are European style, but they might be in addition to the regular front side lights.
    '13 LTZ

    Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Knapman is online now [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post
    I would try and find the current draw or the lamp style that those markers require and match it up to the Cruze markers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post

    Are you taking pictures? I was considering changing a few things on mine, but I am not a plastic guy, so I could use some visuals, materials info etc. Maybe you could write a How-To: on the process.


    I won't be tackling it for a little bit as I have a lot going on with the car right now but I will be doing it in the near future. Hopefully next month. When I do I will take some pictures step by step and try to write up a detail DIY for you and anyone else looking to do something similar.

    I tried searching online but haven't really came up with anything. How would I go about finding the current draw of the marker light? I'm assuming you mean how much volts/amps it takes to power the light? Could I manually test this if this is what you mean? With some type of voltmeter? Sorry I'm a total noob with wiring. Like could it be as easy as checking to see if it gets the same voltage then just chopping the wires and splicing the right ones together? Lol.

    VW SOCKET
    cp024643-side-marker-bumper-light-bulb-socket-plug-wiring-pig-tail-vw-jetta-passat-golf-3.jpg

    CRUZE SOCKET
    GM-Chevrolet-Cruze-Front-Side-Marker-Light-Bulb-Replacement-Guide-006.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Do you have safety inspections in your state? They might fail you for removing the side lights in the front. The lights you're adding are European style, but they might be in addition to the regular front side lights.
    Now I haven't actually looked into the laws around here. I am just assuming that it's okay. I see cars around here often with no marker lights in the front bumper and only have them in the front fenders and we don't really have inspections from my experience unless the car is heat score and the MTO wants to be jerks. Usually just lowered cars with loud exhausts. I live in Ontario, Canada.
    Last edited by Knapman; 04-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

  7. #5
    Formula One Champion
    Blasirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Knapman View Post


    I won't be tackling it for a little bit as I have a lot going on with the car right now but I will be doing it in the near future. Hopefully next month. When I do I will take some pictures step by step and try to write up a detail DIY for you and anyone else looking to do something similar.

    I tried searching online but haven't really came up with anything. How would I go about finding the current draw of the marker light? I'm assuming you mean how much volts/amps it takes to power the light? Could I manually test this if this is what you mean? With some type of voltmeter? Sorry I'm a total noob with wiring. Like could it be as easy as checking to see if it gets the same voltage then just chopping the wires and splicing the right ones together? Lol.
    The voltage is 12v. As for the amperage, if you know someone with a DC amp clamp you can measure yourself without cutting the wires. The only other way to directly measure is to insert an ammeter into that circuit, which means cutting a wire. i was suggesting doing a Google search though.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

  8. #6
    Knapman is online now [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knapman View Post


    I won't be tackling it for a little bit as I have a lot going on with the car right now but I will be doing it in the near future. Hopefully next month. When I do I will take some pictures step by step and try to write up a detail DIY for you and anyone else looking to do something similar.

    I tried searching online but haven't really came up with anything. How would I go about finding the current draw of the marker light? I'm assuming you mean how much volts/amps it takes to power the light? Could I manually test this if this is what you mean? With some type of voltmeter? Sorry I'm a total noob with wiring. Like could it be as easy as checking to see if it gets the same voltage then just chopping the wires and splicing the right ones together? Lol. <img src="https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/images/smilies/unsure.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Unsure" class="inlineimg" />
    The voltage is 12v. As for the amperage, if you know someone with a DC amp clamp you can measure yourself without cutting the wires. The only other way to directly measure is to insert an ammeter into that circuit, which means cutting a wire. i was suggesting doing a Google search though.
    Okay yeah all these lights run off the 12v system. I read that the left parking light, tail lights, front and back side lights of the Cruze are all on one circuit - a total of 5 lights. They all run off of Fuse F3 in the instrument panel. I also learned the Parking lights left, side marker left, instrument cluster backlights of the Jetta run on one circuit and the fuse is S22 and it says 5 amps.

    http://web.mit.edu/dennis/www/vw/fuses.html

    The F3 fuse is 15ah250v and I couldn't find much on the S22 but I think it's 2ah250v. Could I know just by the difference in the fuse? Or because the circuit runs different things it would be sending different amperage to different lights? So I would have to check the amp going to the marker light itself? Sorry I'm a total noob with this kinda stuff. &#x1f604; just trying to see if I can figure it out before I go out and get something to actually test it manually am i kn the track here or just chasing the wind?

  9. #7
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    669
    Side marker lights are 194s correct? They draw approximately .25amps each.

  10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2017, 02:23 PM
  2. Cruze Side Marker
    By CHEVYCRUZE RS in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 09:16 AM
  3. Front Bumper Side Marker Lights
    By dw1997 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  4. Part number for passanger side side marker.
    By Nobody in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  5. Light smoke side marker lights
    By cruzeman in forum Buy/Sell Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 04:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2