Cooling fan
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cooling fan

Justin W is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Cooling fan

Anyone have electrical diagram for cooling fan on a 2012 1.8L Cruze? It's a 3 speed fan controlled by 5 relays and there are 2 fuses in the circuit that I'm aware of.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

Sounds like the same thing the 1.4 has. Common failure is that the resistor pack that gives it the 3 speeds burns out, so until the situation escalates to "high" (aka "jet mode") the fan won't run.

Other issues can be sensor issues that cause the ECM to command high.

But the relays themselves have been pretty good.
    fl38583 likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Justin W is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Ya mine is only running on low speed similar issue. I just want to see the circuit that's all. Already have a new fan ordered but I want to know how it's wired

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Here's one that I have. 5 relays? What were they thinking?!

HTH.

Doug

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plano-doug; 04-22-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Justin W View Post
    Ya mine is only running on low speed similar issue.
    Unless "slow" is all it can do when "high" is selected, that doesn't sound like a fan problem.

I'm having a hard time reading the electrical diagram. The one I've seen uses 5 relays to convert from "binary" to "one-of" (in computer speak).

That is, the computer has two output: A and B. A is "low", B is "medium" and A+B is "high". But the fan has three terminals: low, medium, high. The relays convert the logic as well as being a power relay.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Justin W is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    No, mine works on low. When high is selected it does nothing. Thanks for the schematic Doug.

Justin

Group B Rally Champion

No, mine works on low. When high is selected it does nothing. Thanks for the schematic Doug.
    I don't think it's the fan. I'd suspect one of the relays. I think 3 are plug-ins in the underhood fuse box, but the other two are soldered in on the underside of the fuse box.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Justin W is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    The relays have all be verified already. When it is calling for low speed the fan turns slowly. When calling for medium it won't turn unless I give it a push. Then on high it won't budge but there is voltage across the terminals to the fan. I suspect you are right that the fan motor isn't finished but it is one of the resistor packs you mentioned earlier. Since they are built into the fan assembly and cannot be changed then the fan assembly has to be replaced.... Was able to get one for $100 not too bad.

Justin

Group B Rally Champion

The relays have all be verified already. When it is calling for low speed the fan turns slowly. When calling for medium it won't turn unless I give it a push. Then on high it won't budge but there is voltage across the terminals to the fan. I suspect you are right that the fan motor isn't finished but it is one of the resistor packs you mentioned earlier. Since they are built into the fan assembly and cannot be changed then the fan assembly has to be replaced.... Was able to get one for $100 not too bad.
    That's weird. "high" bypasses all resistors and applies power straight to the fan motor. If it was a bad motor, I'd expect it to limp on high and not function at lower settings - not the other way around.

But it just goes to prove things can fail in strange ways. I wonder if that fan was a aftermarket replacement. Non-OEM parts can fail "differently".
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Justin W is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Ya. Not sure but I'll post the outcome once the new one is installed. There are actually 3 terminals plus a ground at the fan connector. From what I've read the resistor bank is built into the fan assembly past this connector.

Justin

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)