My OEM ACdelco battery died today
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My OEM ACdelco battery died today

SCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

My OEM ACdelco battery died today

Today i was at the mall & was just relaxing in the car, had the a/c on. Thought of putting the blower on full & A/c off & engine off, when after some time i had everything off, Then tried to restart the car & my car failed to start. Then after some time realised that battery was dead. The Road assistant had arrived & said i had to replace my battery, He then replaced the OEM with mammoth (UK battery) which costed 134 dollars.

I still wonder how can a battery have such less life span of just 1 1/2 year. My dad had his replaced in 3 years, he drives a toyota. Look at mine, died in 1 1/2 years.

Why?? Does Chevrolet use cheap parts to cut costs??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

It's not just Chevy. I did some research on this last year and discovered that according to JD Powers batteries are the number one item to be replaced on new cars, even above the OEM tires, which are notorious for short life spans.

In the US the battery would have been replace by Chevy for free. Check with Chevrolet in your country about this. You may be able to get reimbursed for the replacement.
    Last edited by obermd; 05-24-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    spacedout likes this.
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Learning about my Cruze Christrit's Avatar
    Same problem with me, had a dead battery at the 1yr 9month mark... Turns out it was a dead cell and was replaced under warranty at no charge by Chevrolet...

I've found the GM (AcDelco) batteries to be not too bad, but like most things, you get a dud every once and a while...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

They seem to have had so many problems with the 438CCA batteries that originally came in the Cruze (part supplier problem I guess) that they've been totally and completely replaced by 550 CCA batteries in all new builds and at the dealers for replacements.

Mine bit the dust at just over a year - replaced with a 550 that has been holding on to voltage (something the other one could never do right) just fine so far.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Administrator

I wonder if the 483 CCA batteries were simply too small for the car's power requirements. This would cause the battery to have to work harder and thus be more likely to fail early.
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Retired Moderator CHEVYCRUZE RS's Avatar
    What battery are you looking at now ? Any green tops ? I've been looking just for an extra bump
    ZZPerformance.com
    Rotiform.com
    2LOW4TO

1983 Fiat 124 Spyder
    1990 Corvette C4 ZR1
    2005 GMC Sierra Z71
    2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71
    2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS
    2009 Chevy Savanna 1500

Learning about my Cruze Soopah_Troopah's Avatar
    speaking of OEM batteries, I noticed, while inspecting my new axle, that the OEM is almost too small for the compartment, theres almost two empty inches in the compartment anyone know the reason behind this?
    Last edited by Soopah_Troopah; 05-31-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    One of you is going to fall and die, and i'm not cleaning it up!
    (Because Racecar)

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    even above the OEM tires, which are notorious for short life spans.
    I just had my factory tires replaced on Thursday, I made it 74,900 miles problem free..

I couldn't believe the life that I got out of them, this is by far the farthest I have taken a set of factory tires..
    -Casey

Hidden Content
    2012 Cruze LTZ w/ Nav & Cashmere Int. 700+ Mile Club
    Mods- Trifecta tuned, K&N Short Ram, ZZP Downpipe, ZZP Midpipe, H&R springs, Eco Front Air Dam, Painted Factory 18's, Painted Calipers, Big 3 kit, Boost gauge in Column Pod, Ultra-Gauge, 3K HID's, 3K fogs, Vinyl Bowties, Debadged, Intake reso delete, Autolite Coppers to .028, 41 psi in tires, Amsoil in the Tranny

Handbrake Released
    I too noticed a gap in the battery tray. You can always upgrade the battery size I suppose. Maybe install an optima brand down the road. Optima red or blue tops last long!!
    Joe - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Living is easy with eyes closed.

2014 Chevrolet Cruze RS 1LT Atlantis Blue 1.4 turbo ( Rex )
    2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Sunburst Orange Pearl 3.8 ( Tiny Tim )

SCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Well maybe the battery isn't just satisfying the power requirements, but apart from that Chevy cruze's parts just keep failing, Breaks just get weak after some time, this is the second time im replacing the brake plates.

Also my viper broke, the rubber just came out, & i have to replace it now. But no Major issues as of now. But its so Sad that cruze is only car which acts like upper hand in its class, because of the quietness, refinement, & driving thrill. I just don't see corollas, Hondas as an option which are plagued wid road noise.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)