Terrible in snow. - Page 7
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Terrible in snow.

Driver's Ed
    My 2013 goes like a tank running Firestone Winterforce tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    I have a 15 Cruze with 18" oe tires turn off trac control and use manual mode on trans. start out in 2nd gear lightly throttle and you should be fine.

Funny after I was just saying how good my Cruze was in the snow. I bought a set of Michelin XI3 this winter because everyone ranted and raved about them. Well, these tires are horrible. It snowed this morning, and was what I would consider a typical Pittsburgh snow. I kept having anti lock brakes engage and almost got stuck on 2 hills. I'm not impressed with these tires in the snow at all. They are almost as bad as the Firestone FR710s in the snow. I can't believe they are sold as winter tires.
    Current- 2014 Red Hot Cruze 1LT RS 6M
    Past- 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlo96 View Post
    Funny after I was just saying how good my Cruze was in the snow. I bought a set of Michelin XI3 this winter because everyone ranted and raved about them. Well, these tires are horrible. It snowed this morning, and was what I would consider a typical Pittsburgh snow. I kept having anti lock brakes engage and almost got stuck on 2 hills. I'm not impressed with these tires in the snow at all. They are almost as bad as the Firestone FR710s in the snow. I can't believe they are sold as winter tires.
    I have Xi3s on the CTD and on my Volt and they are excellent. The CTD's set are five seasons old and are showing their age and will be replaced - with another set of excellent Xi3s - after they go on, but before winter hits at the end of the year.

There's a reason people recommend the Xi3 and "rant and rave about them", they're that good.

Are there better snow tires? Sure - Nokian Hakkapeliitta and General Altimax Arctics (which are just older Nokian designs/molds) are a much more aggressive pattern, so they will handle deep snow much better, but the Xi3 does plenty fine - and much better than an all-season - while retaining extremely good wet/dry handling characteristics, where more aggressive tires usually trade off a bit for the extreme-level of snow control.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlo96 View Post
    I have Xi3s on the CTD and on my Volt and they are excellent. The CTD's set are five seasons old and are showing their age and will be replaced - with another set of excellent Xi3s - after they go on, but before winter hits at the end of the year.

There's a reason people recommend the Xi3 and "rant and rave about them", they're that good.

Are there better snow tires? Sure - Nokian Hakkapeliitta and General Altimax Arctics (which are just older Nokian designs/molds) are a much more aggressive pattern, so they will handle deep snow much better, but the Xi3 does plenty fine - and much better than an all-season - while retaining extremely good wet/dry handling characteristics, where more aggressive tires usually trade off a bit for the extreme-level of snow control.
    All I can say is that I had other winter tires before, and they were 10 times better. ****, I think the Continental PureContact all seasons I had were better. We got a snow storm after I took off the winter tires and those Conti had 0 issue. I'm glad you like your Michelins. Perhaps the conditions where you live are different, as they like to salt all the snow and turn it into thick slush here.
    Current- 2014 Red Hot Cruze 1LT RS 6M
    Past- 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

Driver's Ed
    I got the cheapest winter tires available at my local Discount Tire. I was easily able to get through all the snow we got in this winter. While other cars were constantly getting stuck, I was just plowing over all the snow. My stopping distance was very minimal as well. I also had a hard time doing doughnuts with and without traction control enabled. I was even able to get through 6 inches of snow quite easily without getting stuck.

It's all in the tires.
    RichLo1 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)