2018 HB Steering Squeak
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2018 HB Steering Squeak

Iamantman is offline [OP]

2018 HB Steering Squeak

Hey everyone,

Anyone else get an annoying steering squeak when turning the wheel? I thought that was ironed out in the early gen 2s. I have a 2018 with 5000 miles and am experiencing that. I figured the shaft was just dry so last time I was at my garage I lubed up the boot and shaft with white lithium grease and it seemed to help but then came back leading me to think this is a design flaw.

Maven, you're a current tech right? Do you know of any TSBs about this? I don't wanna have to spray it with wd40 every 1000 miles. That's really silly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

My 16 never did this, but my '12 did once the steering was disconnected to get the transmission out. The plastic bearing thing was sitting too low in the floor passthrough. Hammered it up a bit from below, and it solved that.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    My 16 never did this, but my '12 did once the steering was disconnected to get the transmission out. The plastic bearing thing was sitting too low in the floor passthrough. Hammered it up a bit from below, and it solved that.
    Ugh pretty sure this is probably the issue then.

The full story is I took my car in at about 2000 miles because I had steering noise over bumps which ended up being the sway bar end links. Despite GM engineers telling my dealership how to diagnose the problem and to replace the links, they also changed my sway bar at the time. I used to be a mechanic so at this point I'm basically 99% sure the tech was padding their hours because warranty work pays terribly. I've been there. Problem is they dropped my subframe for that and in the process put my car out of alignment. I was so pissed. I had to go back and when they agreed to fix it the **** tech didn't tighten the lock nuts on the tie rod and by the time I got home it was clunking from play. I tightened them myself and left a very stern email with the dealership manager.

Sorry that turned into a rant haha. But after hearing you say that I bet they messed something up when they dropped the frame.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Iamantman View Post
    Ugh pretty sure this is probably the issue then.

The full story is I took my car in at about 2000 miles because I had steering noise over bumps which ended up being the sway bar end links. Despite GM engineers telling my dealership how to diagnose the problem and to replace the links, they also changed my sway bar at the time. I used to be a mechanic so at this point I'm basically 99% sure the tech was padding their hours because warranty work pays terribly. I've been there. Problem is they dropped my subframe for that and in the process put my car out of alignment. I was so pissed. I had to go back and when they agreed to fix it the **** tech didn't tighten the lock nuts on the tie rod and by the time I got home it was clunking from play. I tightened them myself and left a very stern email with the dealership manager.

Sorry that turned into a rant haha. But after hearing you say that I bet they messed something up when they dropped the frame.
    I also had my tie rods replaced on the 16 for the clunking, but I have avoided the dealer where shoddy warranty work was done on the '12. Sorry; it's super frustrating when you get one of those techs that cuts corners like that and the service department doesn't seem to care.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Hey Blackburn, I meant to follow up to this. We're you able to access the bearing from underneath without a lift or jacks? I'm in the city so if I can't just crawl under there on a dry day and take care of it I'll have to go to the dealer 😕 lubing it isn't cutting it so I'd like to try what you did there.

Thanks

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Iamantman View Post
    Hey Blackburn, I meant to follow up to this. We're you able to access the bearing from underneath without a lift or jacks? I'm in the city so if I can't just crawl under there on a dry day and take care of it I'll have to go to the dealer 😕 lubing it isn't cutting it so I'd like to try what you did there.

Thanks
    I have Rhino Ramps I drive the cars up on any time I go under them. I can't get under most low-slung cars these days without.

It was pretty awkward on the Gen 1 - the steering shaft comes through sorta behind the transmission.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

9. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)