2016.5-2017 Piston Failures-Any updates from GM? - Page 9
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 2016.5-2017 Piston Failures-Any updates from GM?

I plan on forged. But my gf wants Mazda 3 tended to first lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    If it's LSPI from low rpm and heavy pedal acceleration.

Seems to me the problem would be solved by raising the rpm threshold to match more inline of transmissions from yesteryear.

When you're coasting along. Your running at 1200 rpm. That's lugging the engine. Raise it to 1700.

Motors used to go up to 3000 roughly and drop to 2000 in the next gear. But that was back in 3 and 4 speeds.

Now we go up to 1700 and drop to 1200. If you're a medium throttle type person. I don't like the engine that low. For a lot of reasons i was taught back in the day. So i don't run that low.

Learning about my Cruze
    Just FYI for all those worried about whether they should get rid of their car, because of the potential piston issue... I got a new engine in mine, wih zero hassle, and they only had my car for 5 days (I got a loaner while they had it). With the new engine, I got another 3 years/100k warranty extension on the new engine. I feel pretty well taken care of, even though that is an issue with these.
    Pegasus and Heretic like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    If it's LSPI from low rpm and heavy pedal acceleration.

Seems to me the problem would be solved by raising the rpm threshold to match more inline of transmissions from yesteryear.

When you're coasting along. Your running at 1200 rpm. That's lugging the engine. Raise it to 1700.

Motors used to go up to 3000 roughly and drop to 2000 in the next gear. But that was back in 3 and 4 speeds.

Now we go up to 1700 and drop to 1200. If you're a medium throttle type person. I don't like the engine that low. For a lot of reasons i was taught back in the day. So i don't run that low.
    If this would improve matters, then it seems like those with automatics could actually reduce their chance of having the issue if they get a tune. I think I read on one of the BNR tune threads that it involves significant transmission remapping also...

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Just FYI for all those worried about whether they should get rid of their car, because of the potential piston issue... I got a new engine in mine, wih zero hassle, and they only had my car for 5 days (I got a loaner while they had it). With the new engine, I got another 3 years/100k warranty extension on the new engine. I feel pretty well taken care of, even though that is an issue with these.
    According to teh post up above. He's only getting 4 new pistons. GM might be changing their plan of repairs. MIGHT.

Drag Racing Champion
    If this would improve matters, then it seems like those with automatics could actually reduce their chance of having the issue if they get a tune. I think I read on one of the BNR tune threads that it involves significant transmission remapping also...
    I tried the tune. Don't think I'll be trying again.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    According to teh post up above. He's only getting 4 new pistons. GM might be changing their plan of repairs. MIGHT.
    Correct. Mine just happened a few weeks ago and they just did the pistons. They said they base it off what they see inside when they take it apart. Apparently my cylinders walls weren't damaged or damaged enough.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Handbrake Released
    IMO this is so F'd up. You hear about all of these cracked pistons and the reasons why, and "upgraded Pistons"
    Tune or not tune ?

Will tuning help I be leave it may, but if not there is the warranty issue. Granted it seems like most on that experience a cracked piston are Not Tuned (except for taxman on YouTube.) So is that proof that a tune prevents it, then you hear that on FB a couple guys with tunes had the issue, But not one one about what their warranty status ended up being, Tunner's say revert back to stock and dealers wont see anything abnormal to cause them to look deeper, and we've never had a warranty denied. Statment taken with a grain of salt.

I would like to see ONE person with a tune and a cracked piston to state whether or not it was repaired under warranty after replacing the stock tune.

This kind of information I think would be invaluable at least for myself as because I want to tune my '18 RS very badly but am very concerned about cracking a piston and being denied warranty,
    I'm not too worried about any other events but these dammed cracked pistons.
    cruzestout, Cruzen18 and Heretic like this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by alanl11 View Post
    This kind of information I think would be invaluable at least for myself as because I want to tune my '18 RS very badly but am very concerned about cracking a piston and being denied warranty,
    I'm not too worried about any other events but these dammed cracked pistons.
    You and me both!
    alanl11 likes this.

Learning about my Cruze Celdwist's Avatar
    Yes exactly. I even have a 2016 gen2 and I still have my warranty, 21,000 miles! I found someone on Instagram who has done exhaust work and had an intake, and took it into the shop just how it was. Still got the warranty when his pistons blew. I only have a Y-pipe and resonater/muffler delete on mine so I think they'll be fine I guess, how are they gonna deny me?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)