Code P0420
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Code P0420

Driver's Ed

Code P0420

P0420

This is a permanent code cannot be cleared with code reader.
    Will only clear if system decides problem no longer exists.

I used CRC Intake valve cleaner as directed after one week I re-scanned problem has now gone away.

My conclusion is that dirty valves were causing said code.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    P0420 is not that type of code. It is able to be cleared with a scan tool.

It's possible dirty valves could lead to poor running which could poison a cat. But it's not likely. I haven't seen any notably filthy LE2 intake valvetrains yet. Not have I seen an instance where a spray in intake cleaner cured a truly failed cat. It was more likely a fuel related issue that time resolved.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    P0420 is not that type of code. It is able to be cleared with a scan tool.

It's possible dirty valves could lead to poor running which could poison a cat. But it's not likely. I haven't seen any notably filthy LE2 intake valvetrains yet. Not have I seen an instance where a spray in intake cleaner cured a truly failed cat. It was more likely a fuel related issue that time resolved.
    Ok, that's interesting my bluedriver scan tool indicated it was a permanent code?

You might well be right regarding the fuel, I had just ran some Redline SI 1 complete fuel system cleaner through it and the code threw up shortly afterwards, any thoughts as to why?

So, the little Cruze egr/valvecover does a pretty good job of "catching" those nasty oils after all. What kind of buildup and at what mileages approx have you observed the valves?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    This is a service issue and not a tutorial - moved from Gen II Engine/Trans Tutorials to Gen II Service Issues
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)