Auto Start-Stop
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Auto Start-Stop

Learning about my Cruze

Auto Start-Stop

Not a big fan of this at all. On my other car, I have the auto start-stop and it could be defeated by pressing a button then all subsequent restarts, the last saved selection will carry through. Is this a permanent start-stop? If it is, that could be a deal breaker.
    dhpnet likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    Why, specifically, do you not like it. From all the reviews I've been reading, it's one of the smoothest ones yet.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    Just the general nature of a start/stop vehicle. Total wear on the components for one, and just for me, I don't trust the reliability of the system.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I don't notice it at all 90% of the time. Otherwise, I can semi-defeat it by leaving the fan on low with the A/C button pressed, or by letting up on the break just a bit after a stop, before the car turns off. It's annoying in stop-n-go traffic.

6th Gear
    I also have no interest in it at all. I don't want a big battery in the trunk, and I don't want whatever additional circuitry, wiring and crazy starter motor it requires. Just more things to go wrong and then the crappy dealers to say they can't duplicate.
    jsusanka and JoeInMilwaukee like this.
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

Retired Moderator
    IIRC manual cars don't come with it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpnet View Post
    I also have no interest in it at all. I don't want a big battery in the trunk, and I don't want whatever additional circuitry, wiring and crazy starter motor it requires. Just more things to go wrong and then the crappy dealers to say they can't duplicate.
    I'm quite sure that's the only battery. If the vehicle has a second battery for the stop/start, it's very small - a'la the E-Assist cars.

My Cobalt has the battery in the trunk - and I much prefer it back there. Easier to remove if needed, and far easier to power an amplifier. Better weight distribution anyway.

And from GM's press release:

Stop/start technology is paired with the automatic transmission and contributes to efficiency in stop-and-go driving.
    Last edited by MP81; 04-20-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

One other feature was well on display here, too: the stop/start system. Chevrolet made a bold move by not allowing the driver to shut the system off. It’s always on. Always. The good? It’s one of the better systems out there, and it’s doing great things for fuel economy. The bad? It’s still pretty rigid occasionally, shaking the car to life from time to time. Chevrolet has struck a good balance when it’s activated, though. For example, when sitting at a stoplight, the engine will be off. If the driver creeps forward, the car comes to life again and stays that way. It does not shut off again. It helps the system feel less intrusive, and frankly, less annoying.

Read more: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze Review | GM Authority
    2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel

There is a lot of misconception about the current auto-stop start systems not only on this thread, but the forum as a whole. Auto-stop start is one of those things you will have to learn to live with if you plan on buying a new car, because all major auto manufacturers are committed to the technology. GM has been using its current iteration of the system since the 2014 model year, and it is one of those things you never see issues with. Auto-stop start should be one of those mechanical systems you should worry the least about compared to the other complicated systems in these new vehicles. The current GM system uses a specially designed and manufactured starter to start the car, the system also keeps the transmission pump running to circulate the fluids in the transmission. I have not had a chance to review the tech docs concerning the second generation Cruze, but some of the systems have 2 batteries, one to keep the electrical system running when the motor is off, and another to start the car. I do not know if the Cruze does, I can get back to you on that. eAssist was a mild hybrid system, completely different then the current stop-start technology which is just a specially designed starter motor and some other minor changes.
    2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel

Conservative Acoustic Foamcolor>
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzeDan View Post
    There is a lot of misconception about the current auto-stop start systems not only on this thread, but the forum as a whole...
    This happens a lot. People inherently fear the new and unknown.
    2015 1LT RS (M6) "Tyrone"
    2015 Yamaha Stryker Bullet Cowl "Unnamed" Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)