How to remove the valve cover 2016-2017 Le2 engine
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to remove the valve cover 2016-2017 Le2 engine

Fuhnominon is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

How to remove the valve cover 2016-2017 Le2 engine

Hello everyone. Can anyone tell me how to take off the valve cover of a LE2 1.4L Chevy Cruze engine? And are there any special tools I will require?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhnominon View Post
    Hello everyone. Can anyone tell me how to take off the valve cover of a LE2 1.4L Chevy Cruze engine? And are there any special tools I will require?
    It's quite involved, requires special tools to do PROPERLY, and numerous parts to do so.

Why are looking to take it off? I'm happy to help but very curious to know what's really going on before investing more time to make sure you're successful.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhnominon View Post
    It's quite involved, requires special tools to do PROPERLY, and numerous parts to do so.

Why are looking to take it off? I'm happy to help but very curious to know what's really going on before investing more time to make sure you're successful.
    This has been requested by the customs department in my country. I imported the engine which came out of a 2016 chevy Cruze but before customs allows me to have it, the valve cover must be taken off for them to inspect, to be sure no illegal stuff is being imported. So I just need to go with correct tools take it off they take a look and I put it back on then they will release it. So basically it's an engine that is not in a vehicle so I assume it's much simpler.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Ok, that stinks. I would really be asking them if there was an alternative method.

Removing the valve cover requires removing the PCV hose assembly, which is a tamper resistant part and meant to be replaced once removed. It's connectors are usually heavily damaged during removal. Or you need to extract tamper proof bolts and remove it that way, and then find appropriate replacement bolts.
    You need to remove the vacuum pump, which requires replacing the seals when you reinstall it.
    You need to remove the ignition coils.
    You need to remove the fuel rail/injector assemblies. It is possible to do this without the special tools but not recommended. Regardless of done with the tools or without you'll need new seals. If done without special tools you're likely to get debris in the injectors if you take apart the easy way. If you take it apart the proper way but put it back together without the tools you're almost garaunteed to develop a combustion leak.
    You need to remove the turbo coolant pipe and then replace it's seal when you go back together.
    You'll need valve cover gaskets, RTV and camshaft actuator oil seals for when you go back together as well.
    Best case scenario, even considering it's out of the car, you're probably looking at 2hrs to come apart and go back together.(though depending on your skill and comfort level it could be 2hrs just to get the cover off)
    Last edited by Ma v e n; 05-09-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    plano-doug likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Would they allow a borescope inspection?

Formula One Champion
    That would be cheaper and easier to do. Amazon has a relatively inexpensive scope to use with a phone.

Wireless Endoscope Semi-Rigid WiFi Borescope Inspection Camera with IP67 Waterproof 2MP HD Snake Camera for iOS Android Smartphone and Tablet (3.5M/11.5ft)

Or Walmart offers one with a screen for $10 more.

As Seen On Tv Lizard Cam
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Learning about my Cruze
    @maven @Blasirl thanks so much guys. Yes it was definitely too much to do a valve cover opening so they just let me release spark plug. So it went well...kinda. They have scanners on the way so we will no longer have to open an engine they would just scan the engine to see if anything illegal is in it. However, my socket to remove the spark plug wasn't working, can anyone help? Was I using the incorrect size or length? It fit in the hole and covered the spark plug but just wasn't making a connection to turn the plug and was just spinning.

Learning about my Cruze Ncfutrell's Avatar
    If I remember right, 9/16 is the spark plug socket needed

Formula One Champion
    5/8" for U.S. 1 .4 LUJ/LUV
    Last edited by Blasirl; 05-14-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    plano-doug likes this.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

4th Gear
    The LE2 uses a 14mm(9/16”) spark plug socket.

It's not the same as what most GM vehicles have used for the past 30yrs, it's smaller.
    jblackburn likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)