Exhaust
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums Ė General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Exhaust

Scrubbydo1 is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

Exhaust

So, Iím going to do some exhaust work on my 17 Hatch. Iím wondering if anyone else has done this?

This is the OEM exhaust from downpipe back. I believe the 1 I drew is catalytic converter and 2 is muffler (that one Iím sure of). Iím wondering if anyone has deleted the muffler, and what that sounds like. Iíd like to get a bit more growl out of the exhaust, but not be super annoyed with it. I was toying with deleting muffler and throwing a resonator or glass pack right at the end before the OEM exhaust outlet. What have people done? What does it sound like? I like to have a very clear idea of what Iím doing before I do it, that way I can have all parts I need lined up before hand, and also know that I wonít be surprised and/or disappointed with the outcome...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yt400pmd likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Okay, based on preliminary examination, I believe this is quite doable just using a 90 degree elbow and a reducer, depending on the 90 and the reducer it may just require two precise cuts, placement of parts, and a couple clamps. Donít want to weld in case I want to throw the stock muffler back on. Iíve seen some videos of straight piped and muffler deleted cruzes, but they had varying mods and generally werenít hatches, and they have a significantly different exhaust systems. So, this drawing is my ďblueprintĒ, Iíll see if Napa, OíReilly, or advance can help out. Theyíre all within a mile of each other, and on my way where Iím headed in ten minutes. Hopefully I can get to this tonight, if not, tomorrow evening it shall be done. Wish luck.

Formula One Champion
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Ahhhh, that was nice and easy. I wonít have a chance to give it a real road test beyond up and down the street briefly. Itís quiet at idle once cold start passes, and quiet at cruising rpm, and sounds angry when you step on it. It thankfully doesnít have that raspy tin sound that older non DI 4 cylinders like to make. It cost twenty bucks, and I just used a saws all, a deadblow, a jack stand (told hold muffler while cutting), and a half inch drive socket wrench with 9/16ths socket for the muffler clamps. Im not sure I should do a write up of a how to, in this case, because it all had to do with parts availability, and your style of doing things. I will do one if you guys want me to. All told, took thirty minutes.

yt400pmd likes this.

Formula One Champion
    Post a short video with sound.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Learning about my Cruze Ncfutrell's Avatar

Exhaust

I welded this up a while back, and managed to get my palm prints in the finish lol. I cut the stock exhaust off before the front resonator/converter. I cut through the thickest flange, so I could easily weld up the stock 3 bolt mount with the hangers to my new muffler.

I used a Dynomax 2.5 in/out super turbo muffler. And a homemade turndown. I like the sound, but the turndown makes it too loud in the cabin. Iím ordering a 2.5 piping kit next week and a ypipe. Gonna weld up for dual tailpipes. Should sound rather nice once I get it routed properly.

https://youtu.be/2PHozD6uJVA
    https://youtu.be/2hlF7AP82hM

Cop passes by before I do on my return trip lol.

Last edited by Ncfutrell; 05-19-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Handbrake Released
    Iím currently building a ďsilencerĒ: took some videos this morning, will have to email them to myself and see if I can post them on laptop, canít seem to get it to work with the phone

Handbrake Released
    Cold start startup
    https://youtu.be/87y265w1IXc

Normal Driving
    https://youtu.be/pIeH2zCJ5ic

Spirited Acceleration
    https://youtu.be/pqDjvD1tW9k

With homemade silencer
    https://youtu.be/6V3l63F34XQ

Handbrake Released
    I would like to say that the phone does not really depict the sound well. iPhone 7plus and it is definitely louder in person. The silencer sounded loudest on video, due to being in the garage and no wind noise/external saturation to dampen the microphone. Doing the muffler cutoff is just fine at driving speeds. I will say there is a very deep vibrating loud drone between 2200-2900 RPM, that is obnoxious. I had to do something about that.

Home made silencer.
    I took 1/4 inch stainless sheet and a 1 1/2 inch stainless tube. I cut the stainless sheet with a hacksaw to 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches (thatís approximately inside diameter of exhaust exit. I then punched and drilled out 1 1/2 inches of the sheet so the tube could faint in it. I wire wheeled and sanded every surface of the sheet when done.
    I then took the tube and cut it to somewhere around 6-7 inches. I pushed it into the exhaust exit until it stopped, then held my finger in around an inch and cut there. Then I sanded the interior and exterior of the tube.
    I put the tube into the sheet and welded it on the interior side. I took a 3/16tjs thick grinding wheel and ground corkscrewing grooves in the shaft of the tube. I happened to have a cap for this tube, so I sanded all surface of the cap, placed it on the tube, drilled a 5/16th hole. Took the cap off. Took a 1/2 inch long 1/4 inch shaft bolt and nut, and tightened the nut on the bolt through the shaft. I tack welded the nut in place. This way I could add/remove the cap with ease to restrict airflow on a whim more than just the silencer, and its just a bolt to screw in place to hold it together.
    Next, on the face of the sheet I welded the tube to, I drilled and tapped a hole for a 4 inch long bolt (think it was 1/4 x 28 thread) so it would make installation and removal of the silencer into the exhaust easy. Then spray painted everything with all screws in to not paint threads and make tightening and loosing the bolts difficult.

Lastly I drilled two holes into the exhaust, one on each side. I took a nut and screwed it into a lag bolt, put the bolts through the holes, and tightened a nut on the inside of the exhaust (just put a piece of tape on the end of a box wrench to hold nut in place). Then I tack welded those in place. Now I have set screws to securely hold the silencer in place and prevent obnoxious vibration noises.

Lastly, if putting the cap on isnít quiet enough (which it more than is. Itís stock volume with cap on silencer). You could always wrap the silencer with fiberglass Matt and hold it in place with chicken wire (or coat hanger, or whatever).
    Iím running it with just the silencer, no cap, and itís absolutely perfect. Has a great deep sound on acceleration, not loud at all unless you get the manifold pressure high (give it more than 1/5 throttle). And you cannot hear it at highway speeds. Pressure relief from the recirculating valve is still quite audible and nice. All in all; I am absolutely pleased. Total cost of all exhaust modification: 350 plus tax for catless downpipe. 20 dollars for muffler delete. Roughly six hours of work all told. Expression 328 CIn owners face as you gap them and your car growls...priceless.
    Any questions shoot them my way. And yes, those welds are not pretty. I am not a welder. They are structurally functional and thatís all I care about. They are not visible unless you get underneath the car.

yt400pmd likes this.

Haha you Frankensteined it quite literally
    Scrubbydo1 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)