Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ma v e n

Thread: Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder

anmejia is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder

Hello,

I have a 2016 Gen 2 and the clutch was sitting flat on the floor, the dealership replaced the slave cylinder and it worked for about 2 months and then it happened again.
    Car is again at the shop and now they tell me its the master cylinder, it comes to just over $1000 to replace it, I understand dealership price will be higher than any other mechanic, but its just a lot more than I was hoping for it to be.

Is the process complex enough to where its better to pay, or can I do it myself. I watched videos of other cars where the master is easily accessible and its changed in less than an hour, but then I see a diagram that the cylinder is under the transmission.

Thank you in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    The clutch master cylinder is inside the car, but you have to remove the brake master cylinder and booster, the steering column and all of the pedals to replace it.

Assuming $100/hr labor rate Id say anywhere near $750labor is probably fair.

At that same $100/hr I wouldn't let anyone who offers to do it for less than $500 touch it(5hrs labor). They either don't know what they are getting into, or are potentially a hack. Yes they could be altruistic and doing it to help you...But unlikely.

The car will have it's wipers, the wiper cowl, the metal at the base of the windshield, the coolant reservoir, master cylinder and brake booster, all 3 pedal assemblies, the steering g column, steering wheel, driver knee airbag and various bits of trim, and a dozen or more important electrical connections undone when performing this repair. There's also several clips and bolts that need to be replaced in addition to the failed part.

$1000 could be a tad high of their labor rate is under $115 or so, but the higher the rate is the better a deal it is. In my area you could easily pay $1100 or more just in a reasonable labor time, parts obviously riase the price...Maybe another $200 for everything (I don't know how much all the clips and bolts actually cost.)

It's not a fun driveway project.
    anmejia likes this.

anmejia is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    The clutch master cylinder is inside the car, but you have to remove the brake master cylinder and booster, the steering column and all of the pedals to replace it.

Assuming $100/hr labor rate Id say anywhere near $750labor is probably fair.

At that same $100/hr I wouldn't let anyone who offers to do it for less than $500 touch it(5hrs labor). They either don't know what they are getting into, or are potentially a hack. Yes they could be altruistic and doing it to help you...But unlikely.

The car will have it's wipers, the wiper cowl, the metal at the base of the windshield, the coolant reservoir, master cylinder and brake booster, all 3 pedal assemblies, the steering g column, steering wheel, driver knee airbag and various bits of trim, and a dozen or more important electrical connections undone when performing this repair. There's also several clips and bolts that need to be replaced in addition to the failed part.

$1000 could be a tad high of their labor rate is under $115 or so, but the higher the rate is the better a deal it is. In my area you could easily pay $1100 or more just in a reasonable labor time, parts obviously riase the price...Maybe another $200 for everything (I don't know how much all the clips and bolts actually cost.)

It's not a fun driveway project.
    Wow, that's actually a lot of work going into it, thank you for all the info, the price already includes the parts so I feel a little better knowing the rest of the picture.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)