Painting lip spoiler
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blasirl

Thread: Painting lip spoiler

gacl is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Painting lip spoiler

I just bought an unpainted lip spoiler for my 2018 cruze LT. My car is graphite metallic and im looking to be pointed towards the right direction for paint. Should I just spray paint it after sanding it with like 2000 grit? Anyone have any paint they would recommend that is the correct color? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gacl View Post
    I just bought an unpainted lip spoiler for my 2018 cruze LT. My car is graphite metallic and im looking to be pointed towards the right direction for paint. Should I just spray paint it after sanding it with like 2000 grit? Anyone have any paint they would recommend that is the correct color? Thanks!
    Normal spray paint is too hard and subject to nicks. Plasti-Dip seems to be a bit more flexible and less prone to chipping caused by small rocks/debris tossed up behind other vehicles.

There are other brands of this type product out there if you Google for it.

0BB3F216-4ED0-4F94-8190-2011FE688702.jpg
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by gacl View Post
    Typically, you would knock the shine off of it with 220 grit. Then apply primer and sand that down with 400 grit. 600 if you want to be particular

Make sure the primer is compatible with whatever is underneath it, and with whatever you plan to put on top.

The best way to resolve those two issues is to go to an automotive paint shop and take the spoiler with you. They can direct you to the correct primer, and they can mix up the matching paint for the spoiler based on the color code on the RPO sticker.

When you shoot the paint, make sure the dew point is low - ie, low humidity - otherwise, depending on the formulation of the paint, it could blush and come out dull looking. Again, the guys at the paint shop should be able to advise you on that.

You might can find matching paint at an auto parts store. They often sell touch-up paint - eg, DupliColor. My experience is that these are usually hot-solvent paints which are more prone to blushing, escpecially if you live in the sun belt.

You'll pay more going to a paint shop, but that way you have a better chance of getting it done right the first time.

YMMV.

Doug

-- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    plano-doug likes this.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)