Major stereo upgrade (long post). - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Major stereo upgrade (long post).

Learning about my Cruze
    Wanted to say thank you to the OP for this thread. Started my audio build this weekend and found this very helpful!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

GraySkies is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Glad you were able to get something from it! I certainly intended to try and be helpful to others, since there wasn't a lot out there on the interwebz for gen 2 Cruze stereo upgrades. I only check in here once a week or so, but if there's anything I can help with (clarifications on photos or whatever), let me know.

Driver's Ed
    GraySkies, Thank you for this imformative post.

I am about to replace the four door stock speakers in my 2017 Cruze LT TD with Infinity Kappa 62IX 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers, add a JBL Stadium 5 five-channel amp, and a Kicker CompC Single 12" in a vented loaded enclosure. I just waiting for it all to be delivered. I am using the factory stereo, due to the fact that it just about runs everything else in the vehicle.

Just have a question about the Speedwire. In my case, I'm not understanding why it is being spliced into the speaker wires, if you have to run new speaker wire from amp to the door speakers. If I do need to run the Speedwire to my amp, what do I connect it to on the amp for input. Or is there a different way I need to be getting input to the amp from the factory stereo.

So confused on that part. Thanks in advance!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    You are using the speedwire to feed to the line inputs of the Amp. If you don't have high level inputs on the Amp, you will need a line level converter to convert the speaker wires into rca jacks to run to the amp

Driver's Ed
    OK. Thanks. Looks like the amp I purchased is good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Okay, so I finally have time to continue the build portion of this thread...

In the last installment, we ended up with the Speedwire running through the console and up beside the seat, to get into the trunk:
    Attachment 266093

From there it goes up over the wheel well into the open area behind the taillight. You can see the Speedwire coiled up and tucked behind the body bracing in this photo. If you look closely, you can also see a bracket that I installed to a couple of existing studs in the trunk floor here (the black piece). This is the bracket that will hold my mounting board, so that it is flush behind the trunk interior trim panel. :
    Attachment 266095

I will re-state at this point that if you don't care about your electronics showing in the trunk, you can just mount your board directly to the body brace and have it easy wiring and concealing everything. Most of the gyrations I went through in putting in this mounting board were because it needed to be flush behind the panel, so I could put mounting screws through the panel, into the board.

In this photo, you can see the stand-off I mounted to the body bracing, to allow solid mounting of the board while still keeping it flush behind the trim panel (it's the brown cylinder). Also, if you look close on the right side of the photo, you can see the extra bracket I attached to the panel tab, to secure that upper corner of the mounting board:
    Attachment 266097

Here is a more close-up shot of the bottom mounting bracket attached to the floor:
    Attachment 266099

Now it was time to fashion the actual mounting board itself. I made a cardboard template, and cut and tinkered with it a little bit, until I had a shape that fit well, but also had sufficient area to mount both of the electronic components (DSP and amp), and allow room for wires to pass through as well. In the photo you can see the attachment to the bracket at the bottom, and the attachment at the upper right to the trim panel tab. Also, you can just make out the head of a single fastener through the board, just below the trunk hinge. This is a large flathead screw that goes through the board and threads into the stand-off mounted to the body bracing, shown in a previous photo:
    Attachment 266101

So now I was ready to re-install the interior trim panel here, and lay out the amp and DSP to mark their mounting locations through the panel, into the mounting board. I used a long finishing nail, and had an assistant hold each component in place while I tapped the nail through the trim panel, into the board, to mark the fastener locations. Once this was done, I removed the board from the car, so I could mount the components to it and mark all the clearances and penetrations for wiring to pass through, and make sure my patch cables were the correct length:
    Attachment 266103

I cut holes in the board for the wiring to pass through, and then I went ahead and used some plastic stock I had laying around to make trim pieces for the wiring, so the install would have a clean look. This is with the board installed in the car, behind the trim panel, and with the wiring installed and ready to connect:
    Attachment 266107

And here it is with everything installed and connected:
    Attachment 266105

So that's it for this installment. Next up: how I ran the speaker wires into the doors, routing through the factory boots and molex connectors. After that, the last installment will be how I ran the power and connected to the battery below the trunk floor.

Thanks for reading!
    GreySkies, Is there any way you can help me out with this part of the install? Schematics, parts needed and where you got them? I was thinking of mounting my amp to the back seat or to the sub enclosure, but this is much better, and cleaner looking.

Learning about my Cruze
    Sure. If you could let me know what specifics you need help with, I'll do what I can (links, better pics of mine, diagrams, etc.).

Just let me know.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by CACruze76 View Post
    GraySkies, Thank you for this imformative post.

I am about to replace the four door stock speakers in my 2017 Cruze LT TD with Infinity Kappa 62IX 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers, add a JBL Stadium 5 five-channel amp, and a Kicker CompC Single 12" in a vented loaded enclosure. I just waiting for it all to be delivered. I am using the factory stereo, due to the fact that it just about runs everything else in the vehicle.

Just have a question about the Speedwire. In my case, I'm not understanding why it is being spliced into the speaker wires, if you have to run new speaker wire from amp to the door speakers. If I do need to run the Speedwire to my amp, what do I connect it to on the amp for input. Or is there a different way I need to be getting input to the amp from the factory stereo.

So confused on that part. Thanks in advance!
    Hi CA.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I haven't been spending a lot of time on the forums lately.

The factory stereos in these do not have any "line level" outputs. No RCA jacks on the back. That means you need to pick up a speaker level signal from the back of the unit, and convert it as necessary to match the required input for your amp. I accomplished that by using the DSP on mine. It takes speaker level inputs and internally, as part of the processing, converts them to line level output for the amp. If you are not using a DSP, you need an amp with speaker level inputs, or a line converter like Orangepeel said.

I spliced into the speaker wires, rather than just cutting them, because I would like to be able to return to the stock configuration if I get rid of the car, without having to take the dash apart again. All of my stock speaker wires are still in place, and if I ever want to return to stock, I just have to reinstall the stock speakers and plug the factory harnesses back into them, and I'm done.
    Last edited by GraySkies; 05-16-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Sure. If you could let me know what specifics you need help with, I'll do what I can (links, better pics of mine, diagrams, etc.).

Just let me know.
    Good morning, thanks for getting back to me. Looking for links for what items you used, and diagrams/measurements for the board install. I plan on doing my install this weekend.

Learning about my Cruze
    I'll try to see what I can put together. I work nights, so it might be the weekend before I can spend more time on it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)