Radio losing presets when car is turned off, resets time to 12:00 and tunes to 87.9
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums Ė General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Radio losing presets when car is turned off, resets time to 12:00 and tunes to 87.9

bandit2941 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Radio losing presets when car is turned off, resets time to 12:00 and tunes to 87.9

Have a 2016.5 Cruze premier with 39k miles.

About a month ago I started the car and the MyLink display didnít work at all. Completely blank. Iíve had the issue before where it doesnít turn on and I read that itís clearing the cache and driving it a bit then restarting it always fixed the issue. A year or so ago I had that happen a lot, then stopped doing it for a long time. When that was happening the screen backlight was on, just blank. This time when it didnít work there was no back light.

The radio didnít work at all for a couple ignition cycles and then started to work again. But now when it turns on, probably 8 out of 10 times the presets are all blank, the time resets to 12:00, and the radio tunes to 87.9. After about 5-10 seconds the presets pop back up and the time jumps to the correct time. It doesnít seem to matter whether I was listening to music on my phone, or FM, or XM, most of the time I start the car and get static on 87.9, no presets, and a clock that says 12:00. It works normally after that.

Any thoughts? So far Iíve disconnected the battery in hopes that it would reset the system but that didnít seem to help. Another thing thatís strange is auto stop hasnít been kicking in as much as normal lately - not sure if that could be connected?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    The radio requires constant power to maintain memory. Since yours comes and goes. Either a loose wire or radio going defunct.

Don't know if it would be related to your AS issue though.

Group B Rally Champion

I know the Gen 2 MyLink is different, but I'm surprised. With the Gen1 I can completely remove the radio from the car and it will remember presets as it's stored in flash memory.

For kicks and giggle, try turning on the radio before starting the car and check the status of the radio. I've heard stories that when car batteries get weak that the radio will lose the presets as the battery voltage drops too low during cranking. Gen2 is getting old enough that it might be time for a new battery. Likewise, low battery voltage will likely prevent the start/stop from working.
    Ravenkeeper likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Thanks for the ideas. I considered the weak battery avenue as a link between the radio and auto start. I find it hard to believe that the battery could get weak enough to lose the presets but still sound good cranking the engine over. When I disconnected the battery I checked it with my volt meter and it was holding steady 12.7 volts, but I know that a battery could still be weak and show good voltage.

That’s a good idea on turning the radio on first. I just tried it twice and it kept the presets, but since it doesn’t do it every time I’ll have to try it for the next few days and see if that helps it. Both times I started it after the radio was on and the radio kept the presets after starting.

How does it get the presets back? Are they stored “in the cloud” over the data connection? I also notice the compass says CAL sometimes before the car gets moving - right now when I just did the couple starts in the driveway it says CAL. Not sure if that’s normal and I’m just noticing it now but it always acts properly as soon as I start driving the car.

Just trying to avoid bringing this thing to the dealership as I don’t have a lot of time right now and I’m a few thousand miles over the warranty although I’m not to the 3 year mark yet. Not sure if they’d help me out any if the unit is going bad. Would rather do as much as I can first, especially if it turns out to be something simple.

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bandit2941 View Post
    I checked it with my volt meter and it was holding steady 12.7 volts,
    The question is what is the voltage during cranking.

How does it get the presets back? Are they stored ďin the cloudĒ over the data connection?
    No idea. If it does come back on it's own, then it suggests it was in the memory all the time, but the radio booted up funny.

I also notice the compass says CAL sometimes before the car gets moving - right now when I just did the couple starts in the driveway it says CAL.
    I'm not sure if that's normal, but it suggests something else has lost it memory. In the case of the compass, it can recalibrate itself after a few turns.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Driver's Ed
    I'm having a similar problem - as of Sunday morning my clock is stuck on 12:00, the temperature is lit up and showing, but the time shows as 12:00. I've gone into settings and put the correct time in but it will stay at whatever time I enter and not advance - then go back to 12:00 when I turn off the car and restart?? Anyone else having this issue?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    when car batteries get weak that the radio will lose the presets
    My Saturn would do that when the battery was nearing it's end, in addition to triggering the alarm at odd times.

Handbrake Released
    Get your battery checked. At 3 years old, your battery should not be causing any issues, other than maybe "hard to start." The stock battery in our CR-V was randomly giving us problems starting it, wasn't giving us any issues with the radio. If all of the cells are good, then maybe get the firmware re-flashed on your radio may be the cure.
    Chris

2014 Cruze Eco - Limo-tint (back doors, rear window, & top of windshield), blacked out bowties

Driver's Ed
    I’m definitely thinking it’s the battery. The presets keep just fine if I turn the radio on first, and today I entered service mode (hold the start button for about 5 seconds without your foot on the brake) and the three times I’ve checked it it’s been 12.2 12.1 12.2. That baby should be 12.6+. I just put my volt meter on my drag race car engine and it’s 12.71 after starting the car twice earlier. And that’s a 1000 HP big block with an optima, also an AGM.

At under 3 years old with less than 40k I find it hard to believe that an AGM battery is bad but it must have a weak cell. Goes down to 12.1/2 after sitting for awhile and must be dropping pretty low when cranking and losing the presets. It’s the only thing that makes sense and connects the intermittent auto stop and the presets.

I’ll probably get the battery from advance auto. They always have a good deal on buy in advance online then pick up in store. If you’re logged in and look at an item then close your browser they send an email with a 20% off link to whatever you looked at. So the battery is $195 less almost $40, not horrible.

Planning on grabbing the battery tomorrow so I’ll report back after driving for a couple days to confirm the fix for anyone else having the same issue in the future.
    Ravenkeeper likes this.

Drag Racing Champion
    My car sat for 13 months before buying. 3 months later dealer warranteed battery.
    Ravenkeeper likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)