EGR/DPF Delete - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: EGR/DPF Delete

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    huge wall of text
    You're right, EGR on modern diesel engines is far more complex that most people (including myself) think.

I do agree with you that a delete tune will get rid of EGR and also block that throttle plate wide open. Depending on where it is in the engine intake, I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the throttle plate?
    The throttle body is right up top easy to access. I don't remember off top of my head if the throttle blade is pinned in place or screwed, so not sure how easy it would be to remove the blade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    The throttle body is right up top easy to access. I don't remember off top of my head if the throttle blade is pinned in place or screwed, so not sure how easy it would be to remove the blade.
    I need to investigate. If it's something like popping a couple screws off to remove the butterfly valve, I'm curious if it would throw a CEL if it were removed. If the valve actuation is measured only by whatever electronic or vacuum actuator exists to turn the valve, it's possible the ECU could get "correct" throttle plate position readings even if the throttle plate itself were removed.

1st Gear
    Is there anyway to make sure the throttle plate is wide open all the time?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruz15 View Post
    Is there anyway to make sure the throttle plate is wide open all the time?
    You'd probably have to do one of three things:
    1. Disable (disconnect) any electronic throttle adjustment if the plate is held wide-open by a spring. This would likely give you a CEL on the instrument panel.
    2. Remove the throttle plate if it's attached to an actuator with screws or some other fastener. This *MIGHT* give you a CEL if there is some other engine sensors that detect things are going wrong. If the only input to the ECU is a throttle position sensor, it might not trigger a CEL.
    3. Aftermarket tuning for the engine.

If this engine is like other diesel engines, the throttle plate is also there for shutdown of the engine. To prevent something that a more than typical shuddering of the engine when it shuts down, some diesel engines snap the throttle plate closed so the pistons are fighting against vacuum to quickly stop the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmo View Post
    I don't know definitively what's going on under the hood, but I can tell you there's almost zero engine braking.
    that sux

gen1 td uses the variable vanes of the turbo for engine braking....i go down a 6 mile 10% hill near my house in 3rd...holds steady 65mph
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

1st Gear
    If the EGR valve were unplugged, what is the worst outcome? If it's just a CEL on the instrument cluster and basically nothing else, I don't have a problem with that.

I'm obviously not an engine designer, but why haven't modern diesel engines been changed to take exhaust gases from after the DPF? It seems like it would be better/easier to take clean, soot-free exhaust gases from after the DPF and put them into the intake right before the turbocharger.

1st Gear
    What is your knowledge of what happens if you unplug the EGR valve? Does it stay closed and just display a CEL on the dashboard with no other detrimental effects?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    What is your knowledge of what happens if you unplug the EGR valve? Does it stay closed and just display a CEL on the dashboard with no other detrimental effects?
    An unplugged EGR valve will set NUMEROUS codes, some type A, some type B. You're likely to get a "Service Emission System" message, and may even go into tamper reduced power

1st Gear
    An unplugged EGR valve will set NUMEROUS codes, some type A, some type B. You're likely to get a "Service Emission System" message, and may even go into tamper reduced power
    How often does the ECU check for EGR valve function?

I ask because a friend of mine has a Jeep Liberty with the CRD engine. That is over a decade ago, so different emissions system and no DPF. Still, the fix for those engines is to wire the EGR valve with a switch in the cab. When you start the vehicle you leave EGR on for 30-45 seconds and that is apparently the length of time the ECU checks for EGR function. After that you can flip the switch to turn off EGR and nothing happens (no CEL). You save all the soot from going into your intake and your fuel economy jumps by 10-15%.

Driver's Ed
    Has anyone unplugged the EGR in 1.6l diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)