EGR/DPF Delete - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: EGR/DPF Delete

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselboy731 View Post
    Has anyone unplugged the EGR in 1.6l diesel?
    I did, as an experiment.

I have friends with some Cummins pickups in the 2007-2012 range. Their choices of emissions tinkering include some unplugging EGR and just living with a constant CEL that is a "soft" malfunction, I.E., it doesn't affect functioning of the vehicle.

My unplugging of the EGR resulted in an immediate CEL when I started the car and a warning message that I was 75 miles away from reduced function of the engine (limited to 65 mph top speed). I assume that if I go past that it will drop to 55 mph, and then down to the 4 mph speed limit that results when you run out of DEF. It's a "hard" malfunction in that it impedes functioning of the vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    I did, as an experiment.

I have friends with some Cummins pickups in the 2007-2012 range. Their choices of emissions tinkering include some unplugging EGR and just living with a constant CEL that is a "soft" malfunction, I.E., it doesn't affect functioning of the vehicle.

My unplugging of the EGR resulted in an immediate CEL when I started the car and a warning message that I was 75 miles away from reduced function of the engine (limited to 65 mph top speed). I assume that if I go past that it will drop to 55 mph, and then down to the 4 mph speed limit that results when you run out of DEF. It's a "hard" malfunction in that it impedes functioning of the vehicle.

That's what will happen with any newer diesel. It's mandated by the feds that the engine will derate with most emissions malfunctions.

100% because of the federal emissions laws. 0% because it'll hurt the engine.
    boraz and Rivergoer like this.
    2018 Cruze RS Hatch Diesel A9

Factory retrofits: 120v inverter.
    Future retrofits: Auto HVAC, auto up driver window, turn signal mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror.

1st Gen: How to make your ECO take 15.6 Gallons of fuel properly:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    I emailed and received response that Oz Tuner has done the necessary deletes but are working on a security method...So basically they would rather develop something and keep it from the market than release it and have people copy there work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    At least you got a response, my inquiry about a month ago was never addressed... Glad to hear there is something in the works though, being that the production of our cars was halted. I'm coming up on the end of my power-train, eager to modify once I get there!

Driver's Ed
    Would it be better to add a catch-can in through the EGR on the GEN2 Diesel?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by //oilburner View Post
    Would it be better to add a catch-can in through the EGR on the GEN2 Diesel?
    Nope.

Driver's Ed
    ford_powerstroke_2003 Diesel EGR.pngFor my education, what is the issue (system function, failures, resulting impact) with the EGR circuit in the GEN2 Diesel.
    Last edited by //oilburner; 05-31-2019 at 12:33 PM.

ford_powerstroke_2003 Diesel EGR.pngFor my education, what is the issue (system function, failures, resulting impact) with the EGR circuit in the GEN2 Diesel.
    You sir are not allowed to ask those questions!!!
    2015 Chevy Cruze CTD 120K (DEF Tank Replaced)
    2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4T Hatch
    2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT 2500 8.1L(496 Big Block)

4th Gear
    The issue? Regarding my recommendation to not install a catch can on it?
    The issue is that it's exhaust gas....It's fairly hot. Besides any temp related concerns it's also a fairly complex arrangement and not conducive to installing one, additionally a catch can isn't going to trap exhaust particulate matter, so I don't see the point.

Driver's Ed
    I apologize about not being verbose enough - my rephrased question is - What is it about the Chevrolet GEN2 Diesel's EGR system that causes it to fail or cause other issues? Could an improvement (perhaps from another Diesel system made by another manufacturer) improve upon Chevrolet's design to prevent or prolong the EGR issue?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)