EGR/DPF Delete - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: EGR/DPF Delete

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by //oilburner View Post
    Attachment 271525For my education, what is the issue (system function, failures, resulting impact) with the EGR circuit in the GEN2 Diesel.
    From this diagram, my #1 question would be: Why don't diesel engine designers withdraw exhaust gas AFTER it has passed through the DPF and feed it into the air intake prior to the compressor? It seems that most diesel engines would benefit from being fed exhaust gas that has been filtered rather than the dirty, soot-laden exhaust that is put into the intake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    From this diagram, my #1 question would be: Why don't diesel engine designers withdraw exhaust gas AFTER it has passed through the DPF and feed it into the air intake prior to the compressor? It seems that most diesel engines would benefit from being fed exhaust gas that has been filtered rather than the dirty, soot-laden exhaust that is put into the intake.
    the dpf would fill up faster, requiring more regens, shortening the life of the filter

the exhaust gas into the egr is supposed to reduce nox, because of the cooler temps....now try to cool the exhaust gas post dpf during a regen...good luck.
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post
    now try to cool the exhaust gas post dpf during a regen...good luck.
    I'm no expert but I think EGR is turned off during regen. The EPA allows disabling of exhaust treatment systems during certain periods of operation of engines (such as if engine damage would occur, if engine operation is a certain condition is a very small part of the time the engine is operating, etc.). I think DPF regen is a cycle where EGR is turned off so temperatures can be boosted to burn off the soot load in the filter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by //oilburner View Post
    I apologize about not being verbose enough - my rephrased question is - What is it about the Chevrolet GEN2 Diesel's EGR system that causes it to fail or cause other issues? Could an improvement (perhaps from another Diesel system made by another manufacturer) improve upon Chevrolet's design to prevent or prolong the EGR issue?
    And the answer sir is that there are no issues with the Gen2 Diesel worthy of performing any modifications (delete). Nor are there in the Gen1 now that the bugs are worked out of it. Fire away!!!!
    2015 Chevy Cruze CTD 120K (DEF Tank Replaced)
    2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4T Hatch
    2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT 2500 8.1L(496 Big Block)

I'm no expert but I think EGR is turned off during regen. The EPA allows disabling of exhaust treatment systems during certain periods of operation of engines (such as if engine damage would occur, if engine operation is a certain condition is a very small part of the time the engine is operating, etc.). I think DPF regen is a cycle where EGR is turned off so temperatures can be boosted to burn off the soot load in the filter.
    makes sense
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post
    the dpf would fill up faster, requiring more regens, shortening the life of the filter

the exhaust gas into the egr is supposed to reduce nox, because of the cooler temps....now try to cool the exhaust gas post dpf during a regen...good luck.
    Heard this is what the new Silverado Diesel is doing, I would think the DPF would clog less since the filtered exhaust after it would be fed into the egr.

The egr doesnt filter air in the current state so why would it clog the DPF sooner?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by C4r7m4n View Post
    I emailed and received response that Oz Tuner has done the necessary deletes but are working on a security method...So basically they would rather develop something and keep it from the market than release it and have people copy there work.

Um, I bet they're talking about the security in the cars PCM and not so much the security on their tune.

These newer PCMs are nothing like the ones from just a few years ago.

The biggest issue with EGR on diesels is the cooler clogging with soot, coolers leaking coolant internally into the engines intake manifold / cylinders and EGR differential pressure sensors clogging up.

To get to the EGR cooler on some engines is NOT an easy task.

I haven't really looked at our engines but I'd be willing to bet it's not too hard on ours to replace in the future when needed.
    Last edited by firehawk618; 06-12-2019 at 04:33 AM.
    2018 Cruze RS Hatch Diesel A9

Factory retrofits: 120v inverter.
    Future retrofits: Auto HVAC, auto up driver window, turn signal mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror.

1st Gen: How to make your ECO take 15.6 Gallons of fuel properly:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
    Um, I bet they're talking about the security in the cars PCM and not so much the security on their tune.

These newer PCMs are nothing like the ones from just a few years ago.
    Um, no you are flat wrong.

This PCM is fully supported by EFILive. It's nothing like the 2.0 platform. It's just that EFILive no longer deciphers the code to allow DPF & EGR delete otherwise anybody with the software could delete like the good old days, just costs you $125 for a VIN license.

So what I posted is accurate, they have unlocked the parameters but aren't willing to share because they can't properly secure it.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by C4r7m4n View Post
    Um, no you are flat wrong.

This PCM is fully supported by EFILive. It's nothing like the 2.0 platform. It's just that EFILive no longer deciphers the code to allow DPF & EGR delete otherwise anybody with the software could delete like the good old days, just costs you $125 for a VIN license.

So what I posted is accurate, they have unlocked the parameters but aren't willing to share because they can't properly secure it.
    Were you given a timeline? Looks like trifecta won’t be tuning our Cruze CTD’s anymore.

TRIFECTA: Get Tuned. (2017 Cruze / Cruze Hatch Support Now Available!)
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaTech2016 View Post
    The egr doesnt filter air in the current state so why would it clog the DPF sooner?
    EGR currently unfiltered goes through the engine and some (the majority?) of the soot that goes back through the engine is combusted instead of landing in the DPF. If we start taking EGR from after the DPF, 100% of soot from combustion lands in the DPF.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)