Winter prep - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Winter prep

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyDiesel View Post
    One other option depending upon where you live, is to just stay home if it’s -20 outside.
    My work doesn't consider "It's cold" as a valid excuse for not showing up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    If you fill up in Atlanta on your way to Detroit, just take a few minutes to fill it again in Michigan before you park it for the night. Otherwise, I doubt fuel gelling is an issue these days.
    After filling you have to drive a while to make sure the winterized fuel makes it through the filter and to the injectors before shutdown.

This is in the owners manual, relating to storage with biodiesel fuel: "Owners who use very little fuel, or who have vehicles stored for extended periods of time, should avoid the use of biodiesel blended fuels above 5% by volume. When vehicles are stored for longer than one month, they should be run out of biodiesel to below one-quarter tank, refueled with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, and driven at least 32 km (20 ml) before storage."

This leads me to believe 20 miles is a good length of driving to make sure the fuel filter and fuel system is thoroughly purged of fuel.

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    My work doesn't consider "It's cold" as a valid excuse for not showing up.
    Most don't, no. But I agree with @IndyDiesel, they should. I have roughly a 1/4 mile walk into work, and there always seems to be a nice hefty windchill when it is that cold...can get rather dangerous real quick...

My Cavalier simply wouldn't start if it was 0 degrees F or below. 1 degree? It would start. The second it hit 0, though, that was it. It's almost like the car was making a statement about it being too cold.

It was once cold enough out where my IROC's speedo cable started disconnecting from the speedometer.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    Most don't, no. But I agree with @IndyDiesel, they should.
    I work a government public service job where they do not close except in the most extreme of weather, and just being cold is not extreme. It would take large amounts of snow to close my job and that has happened once in the prior decade (but it was my day off anyway).

The wind chill is on you to dress appropriately for the weather. I've got cold weather gear for where I live.

It's been -25 and I've gone to work. I was driving a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and it started right up fine and drove to work.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the speedometer issues. I've had some Dodge vehicles where the speedometer would give lots of gear whine and groaning and never read the correct speed when it was unbelievably cold out, until it warmed up the interior of the vehicle to be above zero.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    Most don't, no. But I agree with @IndyDiesel, they should.
    I work a government public service job where they do not close except in the most extreme of weather, and just being cold is not extreme. It would take large amounts of snow to close my job and that has happened once in the prior decade (but it was my day off anyway).

The wind chill is on you to dress appropriately for the weather. I've got cold weather gear for where I live.

It's been -25 and I've gone to work. I was driving a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and it started right up fine and drove to work.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the speedometer issues. I've had some Dodge vehicles where the speedometer would give lots of gear whine and groaning and never read the correct speed when it was unbelievably cold out, until it warmed up the interior of the vehicle to be above zero.
    Hello fellow .gov employee. Did you opt-out of your union membership after the Janus Supreme Court decision? I did a couple days ago and never felt better.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel4Ever View Post
    Hello fellow .gov employee. Did you opt-out of your union membership after the Janus Supreme Court decision? I did a couple days ago and never felt better.
    No, I'm the union steward at my job. For what I do a union is very important.
    KpaxFAQ likes this.

1st Gear
    I buy at only two providers and both sell a lot of fuel.
    Are either/both of those retailers Country Mark?

https://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/

Off-Road Champion

Are either/both of those retailers Country Mark?

https://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/
    No, I don’t buy there, their price is always higher, I buy at Costco and a locally owned stationed called Rickers that has BP fuel. Never had a fuel related issue, hope it stays that way.
    2018 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier RS 11k
    2003 Buick Park Avenue 79k
    2004 Ford F-150 Reg Cab, 4.2L 45k
    2005 Mercedes E320 CDI 190k

2015 Chevrolet Cruze CTD 71k traded
    2004 Cadillac Deville DHS 90k SOLD
    2002 Ford F-150 extended cab 4.6L 133k. SOLD

1st Gear
    No, I don’t buy there, their price is always higher
    Years ago I read a link to Country Mark from TDIclub.com. They seem to be a really nice company: not a huge corporation, sources their oil from Illinois and Indiana wells, refines locally, provides premium diesel fuel with a 50 cetane index, etc. Looking at the specs of their fuel, I wish I had one local to me to buy from. They give the impression that they sell quality fuel that will never give any problems.

Off-Road Champion

Years ago I read a link to Country Mark from TDIclub.com. They seem to be a really nice company: not a huge corporation, sources their oil from Illinois and Indiana wells, refines locally, provides premium diesel fuel with a 50 cetane index, etc. Looking at the specs of their fuel, I wish I had one local to me to buy from. They give the impression that they sell quality fuel that will never give any problems.
    I think that story is correct but it’s 30 to 40 cents more a gallon, I have had zero issues with my fuel. I think I used their diesel a couple times. I buy no ethanol gasoline there for my mowers and chainsaws.
    2018 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier RS 11k
    2003 Buick Park Avenue 79k
    2004 Ford F-150 Reg Cab, 4.2L 45k
    2005 Mercedes E320 CDI 190k

2015 Chevrolet Cruze CTD 71k traded
    2004 Cadillac Deville DHS 90k SOLD
    2002 Ford F-150 extended cab 4.6L 133k. SOLD

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)