Frequent regens with surging at idle - Page 6
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Frequent regens with surging at idle

I would guess that they didn't tighten something enough or there is a gasket problem due to the removal and installation of your new DPF. I would think they likely had the turbo off during in the installation.

Definitely leaking enough to be a concern.

Unfortunately, back to the dealer you go...

Likely cannot determine if your other previous issue is solved due to the leak possibly skewing your results.
    2018 Cruze Turbo Diesel 1.6L 9T50 LT
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel 2.0L AF40-6
    (Sold) 38.2MPG DIC Lifetime Average

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released BodhiBenz1987's Avatar
    On further look it definitely seems to be the clamp at the DPF where the leak is. The clamp looks a little crooked so that is probably why. Unfortunately probably also explains my improved soot levels in the DPF. I'm guessing there shouldn't be that much soot even pre-DPF?? Maybe that tells me something. I hope otherwise because I'm beyond done with this. The car has been in the dealer for 6 weeks of the last three months.
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6T diesel sedan, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black leather
    Hidden Content
    1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel
    Hidden Content
    1978 Mercedes-Benz 240D manual
    Hidden Content
    2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
    On further look it definitely seems to be the clamp at the DPF where the leak is. The clamp looks a little crooked so that is probably why. Unfortunately probably also explains my improved soot levels in the DPF. I'm guessing there shouldn't be that much soot even pre-DPF?? Maybe that tells me something. I hope otherwise because I'm beyond done with this. The car has been in the dealer for 6 weeks of the last three months.
    Edit: after trying to put in perspective what the 22-25 grams of soot it takes to trigger a regen looks like, I would say the amount that's been dumping into the engine bay pre-DPF is more than enough to account for the longer regen cycle. False hope is a painful thing.
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6T diesel sedan, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black leather
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Back from the dealer after sitting 2.5 hours. They said it needs another DPF because this one doesn't seat right and they can't fix it. I have to wait another week for that. Gave me the car back and now it not only still leaks (smells awful) but now also surges at idle and boost dips to -6 PSI. The car gets worse every time they touch it. None of this is warranty work so I don't get a loaner. I could not have made up a worse new-car experience than this has been if you had asked me to. I can't even cut my losses because how am I supposed to sell this car with its issues and history?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

1st Gear
    None of this is warranty work so I don't get a loaner. I could not have made up a worse new-car experience than this has been if you had asked me to. I can't even cut my losses because how am I supposed to sell this car with its issues and history?
    How in the world is this not warranty work on a one-year-old car?

My first-year experience was also very bad. Of all the cars I've been around in my family -- new and used -- my Cruze in its first year spent more time in the shop than any of them and it's spent more time in the shop total than most of my other cars combined.

The second year has been much better. There have been some dealer disappointments around getting my fog lights installed and some other little things, but the car has been super reliable for about the last 16 months. So, maybe stick with it until the bugs are worked out and see how it goes?
    Hidden Content

Total time in the shop: 8.5 weeks
    Current situation: All good.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmo View Post
    How in the world is this not warranty work on a one-year-old car?

My first-year experience was also very bad. Of all the cars I've been around in my family -- new and used -- my Cruze in its first year spent more time in the shop than any of them and it's spent more time in the shop total than most of my other cars combined.

The second year has been much better. There have been some dealer disappointments around getting my fog lights installed and some other little things, but the car has been super reliable for about the last 16 months. So, maybe stick with it until the bugs are worked out and see how it goes?
    Sorry, wasn't clear about the warranty. The dealer replaced the DPF on their dollar (I am pretty sure, though I should clarify as they did not specifically say) since it was done as a corrective action for their tech's oil mistake. The leak is due to the new DPF, so I assumed it is their bill not the warranty to fix that as well. As far as I know, if I have another problem that is not directly related, it would go back to warranty coverage. I might give them a call and ask if a loaner is possible either way. I think even with warranty work if the car is drivable they give it back to you rather than a loaner so maybe that is the case here. I drove it today and it seemed OK but it makes me uncomfortable and I feel a bit embarrassed because it really does smell to the point I know people in traffic and parking lots probably notice.

I am trying to hold out hope mine will be like yours. It just seems like each time I get it back I'm ready to move on and begin anew, but then something else comes up. Maybe the soot numbers will actually stay improved even with the exhaust fixed, in which case it would be a step forward and maybe just a small setback.
    MRO1791 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

1st Gear
    The dealer replaced the DPF on their dollar (I am pretty sure, though I should clarify as they did not specifically say) since it was done as a corrective action for their tech's oil mistake. The leak is due to the new DPF, so I assumed it is their bill not the warranty to fix that as well.
    Dealer screwed up. Dealer should be taking EXCELLENT care of you.
    MRO1791 likes this.
    Hidden Content

Total time in the shop: 8.5 weeks
    Current situation: All good.

The exhaust is fixed and as expected the soot improvement was all only due to the leak. Soot level was 82% when I picked it up and it went to 100 and did a regen within 5 miles. In 73 highway miles since it's already at 59% soot and climbing steadily. The car is slower and the mpg is worse than ever. No idea what to do. I've already missed a few things that were important to me due to not having a reliable car, and I have to cancel a trip I wanted to do next month (it will do 10 regens or more on the trip and who knows what else will go wrong, plus it's generally unpleasant to drive). But there's no point to taking it back to that dealer or another one when nothing is "wrong" with it. It is beyond me how none of this is throwing any code. I just don't understand this or why it happened. Tomorrow I will call GM but I'm guessing they will leave me for dead on this. This is the level of reliability and support I expect from a $1,500 "as-is" used car purchase on Craigslist.
    MRO1791 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    Sorry to hear about all the car trouble; sounds like a nightmare.

At this point I think you need to put some more pressure on the dealer/GM even if it means getting a little unpleasant. It sounds like nobody bothered to road test it to catch the soot/exhaust leak issues and just gave it back despite the troublesome history you've already had meaning they either didn't care enough to fully test or knew it still wasn't right and gave it to you anyway. It sounds like all this started with the botched oil change right? though it may be hard to prove. GM and the dealer can fight over who foots the bills but one or both parties should be paying.

Either the dealer can pressure GM to provide more technical support on the issue or you can bypass them and do so directly (probably the former is better) Providing a loaner care is the very least they could do (or covering a rental) but you may need to be forceful that they do whatever it takes to get this right. Trust me I'm usually too much a nice guy (aka pushover) but I've learned how to get aggressive when the situation calls for it. If you still can't get anywhere I think the next step would be either a lemon law case or small claims court.

I recently found a skilled welder who was able to repair my whole strut tower situation on my old escape and though it set me back $900 I now have another car that has been dead reliable I'd prefer to hold on to. It has been great for saving the short trips on my cruze and giving me a backup car if mine is unavailable but I know many don't have that option. At 33 years old the cruze is my first car to have any warranty and If I had a similar experience it would probably be the last time I'd take on a loan on a newer car. Otherwise it would all be craigslist cash deals for me; at least then I know I'm on my own for repairs (and if they are too much I can cut my losses and scrap it)

best of luck
    MRO1791 and BodhiBenz1987 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by resurgent cineribus View Post
    Sorry to hear about all the car trouble; sounds like a nightmare.

At this point I think you need to put some more pressure on the dealer/GM even if it means getting a little unpleasant. It sounds like nobody bothered to road test it to catch the soot/exhaust leak issues and just gave it back despite the troublesome history you've already had meaning they either didn't care enough to fully test or knew it still wasn't right and gave it to you anyway. It sounds like all this started with the botched oil change right? though it may be hard to prove. GM and the dealer can fight over who foots the bills but one or both parties should be paying.

Either the dealer can pressure GM to provide more technical support on the issue or you can bypass them and do so directly (probably the former is better) Providing a loaner care is the very least they could do (or covering a rental) but you may need to be forceful that they do whatever it takes to get this right. Trust me I'm usually too much a nice guy (aka pushover) but I've learned how to get aggressive when the situation calls for it. If you still can't get anywhere I think the next step would be either a lemon law case or small claims court.

I recently found a skilled welder who was able to repair my whole strut tower situation on my old escape and though it set me back $900 I now have another car that has been dead reliable I'd prefer to hold on to. It has been great for saving the short trips on my cruze and giving me a backup car if mine is unavailable but I know many don't have that option. At 33 years old the cruze is my first car to have any warranty and If I had a similar experience it would probably be the last time I'd take on a loan on a newer car. Otherwise it would all be craigslist cash deals for me; at least then I know I'm on my own for repairs (and if they are too much I can cut my losses and scrap it)

best of luck
    Thanks and I'm glad to hear you got your Escape fixed up. I'd really be stuck if I didn't have my older cars to fall back on, even though they have their own issues. I've been trying to use the Jeep for short trips as well, or if I ever finish the brake job, my 78 Mercedes. I'd love for the new one to be reliable enough that I can set the Jeep aside and do a few repairs to make it better.
    I have the same problem that I just am not naturally aggressive and get very uncomfortable when I have to be. I already feel awkward because I was pretty aggressive about the DPF. And there is always a balance, where being patient/kind is more productive than being demanding ... but in this kind of situation I'm trying to find where the right line is.
    Over the weekend there has been some improvement, but still not what it's supposed to be. It has stabilized somewhat around 70% ... still going up but slowing down and I occasionally see it drop a point or two. It just does not do that under the scenarios I know it is supposed to (highway). It kind of does the opposite of what I expect: rises on the highway and drops a point or two around town. I figured I would give it a week or so and just see. I don't really understand how the soot % sensors work but it almost seems like they have to "learn" ... i.e., with a brand new DPF put in, they held the same reading of 82% before the repair.
    One thing I'm struggling with is that I get inconsistent feedback as to whether that oil really makes a difference. I'm inclined to think it did, but I've also heard some people say it shouldn't make a big difference unless the car is burning a lot of oil and the wrong oil is run for a few intervals. But imo if GM can void your warranty for you using it, they should take corrective measures when they use it. If the new DPF does better that tells me something to some degree, but I'm going to wait until I have more data.
    I noticed something else yesterday by chance which I am taking it in for next week, which is some damage to the bottom of the intercooler. I suspect this was sustained last fall when I hit a tire tread. I had it inspected right away at that time by the dealer and also assessed at a body shop and neither mentioned it but I want it checked anyway. It seems to be mostly contained to the bottom row of fins but there is one area the crunch goes up into the bottom intake air channel. It's pretty minor damage but enough to make me want to check for a boost leak which would be consistent with my problems.
    MRO1791 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)