Frequent regens with surging at idle
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Frequent regens with surging at idle

Handbrake Released BodhiBenz1987's Avatar

Frequent regens with surging at idle

My Cruze has been awesome in its first 10k miles but lately has developed some weird behavior. In the last 700 or so miles its done five regens, or what I assume are regens. In each case when I come to a stop at a light or elsewhere the idle surges very noticeably. This always coincides with the fan running after I shut it off, and decreased mpg, hence I assume the regens. The rest of the time idle is normal. I never experienced the surging once during the first 10k miles; only noticed the fan running after shutdown a couple times. There are no codes and everything else about driving feels totally normal. Is this possibly just happening because I've been doing more short drives with stoplights, combined with winter cold and winter fuel? I'm still getting just under 45 mpg for mostly local short trips and 60+ when on the highway. Has anyone else had this happen? I tried taking some advice from searches here and keeping the rpms up under load during the last time I felt the regen "symptoms" but 100 miles later, it just did another one. Do I need to take it in for a manual regen? Or just keep trying to drive it a little harder and do some highway runs? Would a fuel additive help at all?
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6T diesel sedan, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black leather
    Hidden Content
    1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel
    Hidden Content
    1978 Mercedes-Benz 240D manual
    Hidden Content
    2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    Regens do happen much more frequently with city driving vs highway. Without an OBDII device to monitor, there’s no way to be absolutely certain when a regen starts and ends.

Once initiated, a typical regen cycle will last about 10-15 miles of driving at or above 35 mph. In city driving, the regen will take longer especially if you’re doing a lot of stopping for signals.

If you park the car and interrupt a regen, it will take several miles on the next drive to get the engine up to operating temp and then another mile or two for the EGT to reach 1100 degrees in order to trigger DPF regen.

If the car isn’t displaying any warnings or CELs things are probably normal, no need to bring to the dealer for a forced regen. Rather than experiencing 5 different regens, it’s more likely you’ve interrupted a couple of regens multiple times and it’s restarting multiple times to complete a single cycle.

Take your diesel out on the highway for 20-30 minute drives, it’ll love you for it.
    Last edited by Rivergoer; 12-13-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

3rd Gear
    Concur with Rivergoer. Take it on a 30-45 minute highway drive and it should be fine. It sounds like several interrupted regen events. It won't throw an error code until there is some extensive soot build up in the DPF.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    2x 2018 Cruze TD (1- Manual, 1- Auto), 2017 Cruze TD Auto, 2015 Cruze TD, 2009 Dodge Ram Cummins, former 2012 VW Jetta TDI

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. Will try to take it on a little road trip soon. I used to be on the highway a lot more over the summer but lately have just been stuck with a lot of annoying local drives. Maybe a good excuse for a cool day trip.
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6T diesel sedan, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black leather
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

So I finally got a Scangauge II hooked up and working and it confirms what I could feel anyway. The SG tells me 147 miles average between regens; 45 miles since the last one; 68% soot level already in 45 miles (all highway miles). I wish I knew why it was doing this. I do a fair amount of highway driving and have made a point of doing a little extra to help it out. Even with no CEL, the regens are noticeable and at that rate affecting my mpg, plus I imagine will eventually cause issues. I thought maybe the frequent regens had to do with a turbo failure I had at the beginning of the year, but that is repaired and the dealer did a manual regen following it, and the behavior hasn't changed.
    Guess I will watch a while and see. Does any one know at what soot % a regen is triggered?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Off-Road Champion
    On the Gen 1, Scan Gauge measures Soot Mass (STM) in grams.

Regen threshold is 20 gms.

For the Gen 2 did they change STM to a percentage?
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivergoer View Post
    On the Gen 1, Scan Gauge measures Soot Mass (STM) in grams.

Regen threshold is 20 gms.

For the Gen 2 did they change STM to a percentage?
    The Gen 2 does not have its own X Gauges, and the Cruze STM gauge does not seem to work for the Gen 2. I used the Colorado gauge for soot %, which I had read works on the Gen 2 Cruze, and that one reads in percentage. Maybe I can find a soot mass measure that works on the Gen 2 in grams.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Off-Road Champion

When I had gen 1 diesel, sometimes mine would regen at 100 miles and I had once it was over 1000 miles, I couldn’t really understand why there was a variation, I am guessing weather and fuel, summer vs winter, driving patterns, etc
    BodhiBenz1987 likes this.
    2018 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier RS 10k
    2003 Buick Park Avenue 78k
    2004 Ford F-150 Reg Cab, 4.2L 45k

2015 Chevrolet Cruze CTD 71k traded
    2004 Cadillac Deville DHS 90k SOLD
    2002 Ford F-150 extended cab 4.6L 133k. SOLD

For the heck of it I just took the car on a 50-mile highway drive, mostly at 70 mph, tried to keep it lively but legal. Soot % went from 68 to 92. It only dropped in the 2 miles once I got off the highway at the end, back to 90. I'm assuming it triggers a regen at 100% so I'll have to see if it does that tomorrow. Something just feels off with the car and has on and off since the beginning of winter ... sometimes it feels perfect and others it feels like the power band is off. I thought it was because of the turbo but I'm starting to think that was a symptom and not the cause ... but nothing I can really do until the next CEL.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDiesel View Post
    When I had gen 1 diesel, sometimes mine would regen at 100 miles and I had once it was over 1000 miles, I couldn’t really understand why there was a variation, I am guessing weather and fuel, summer vs winter, driving patterns, etc
    Maybe it just really hates winter fuel and colder weather, but mine still seems to be on the extreme side of frequent for not living in a terribly extreme climate or doing a lot of urban driving. Should be getting warmer out soon so that might tell me something. The car was super all last summer and fall.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)