Gen2 diesel manual trans for Equinox - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Gen2 diesel manual trans for Equinox

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post

but its not $2k for the diesel

totally different suspension, transmission brakes as well

different driving experience, better door seals, thicker windshield etc

different car altogether
    What?
    It's not a "totally different" suspension, or brakes.

Different driving experience, come on...It's a different driving experience between an LS and a Redline too...But the car cost more because it has a diesel engine and diesel emissions systems which are far more expensive than the standard gas engine. It's not a premium because they made all these changes to make the car 'better' or more premium.

Wasn't aware of a windshield or door seal difference either...Reference?

It's not a different car altogether..It's just a Cruze with a diesel engine in it. And it's a ~$3000 option that will virtually never pay itself back in fuel savings, especially if you have out of warranty diesel specific failures.

EDIT: just noticed you guys appear to be tslkimg about Gen1s also. Which changes things a bit, but not much.
    It's still A LOT of money that you're highly unlikely to ever recoup, if that's what you're buying it for. If you're buying it because you're a diesel fan, and you want the extra power, and can deal with the extra maintenance, then go for it. But it's hard to make a case purely on dollars.
    Last edited by Ma v e n; 03-26-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    plano-doug likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    Sure, youll just need to get a flywheel, clutch, clutch release parts, trans, trans mounts, axles, shift cables, shifter, console , ECM and BCM tunes, wiring harness mods. You can get the Equinox manual specific parts from Australia/NZ, Caribbean, Central America and Europe.
    It's a pretty big undertaking. And AWD even more so.

I'd rather have a Terrain with a stick. I think the Equinox is hideous.
    Sounds like a piece of cake! *roll eyes*
    2018 Cruze RS Hatch Diesel A9

Factory retrofits: 120v inverter.
    Future retrofits: Auto HVAC, auto up driver window, turn signal mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror.

1st Gen: How to make your ECO take 15.6 Gallons of fuel properly:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Touring Champion
    What?

Different driving experience, come on...It's a different driving experience between an LS and a Redline too...But the car cost more because it has a diesel engine and diesel emissions systems which are far more expensive than the standard gas engine. It's not a premium because they made all these changes to make the car 'better' or more premium.

It's not a different car altogether..It's just a Cruze with a diesel engine in it.
    The Cruze Diesel gets all the suspension goodies - the rear Z-link, the lowered, stiffer, sport suspension. But those are available on some (but not all) other trim levels.

The driving experience is completely different. Having driven both a 1.4T Cruze and a 2.0TD Cruze, it's quite easy to see how different it is. I mean, you're talking nearly double the torque.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...l-first-drive/

Quote Originally Posted by Motor Trend
    Sound-deadening techniques used on the Buick Verano -- the Cruze's posh sister -- are ported over
    plano-doug likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    What?

It's not a different car altogether..It's just a Cruze with a diesel engine in it.
    The Cruze Diesel gets all the suspension goodies - the rear Z-link, the lowered, stiffer, sport suspension. But those are available on some (but not all) other trim levels.

The driving experience is completely different. Having driven both a 1.4T Cruze and a 2.0TD Cruze, it's quite easy to see how different it is. I mean, you're talking nearly double the torque.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...l-first-drive/

Quote Originally Posted by Motor Trend
    Sound-deadening techniques used on the Buick Verano -- the Cruze's posh sister -- are ported over
    You're talking about Gen1 cars. This is the gen2 forum. There were more changes on the gen1 than the gen2, still doesn't make the case on a dollar amount. You need to want the diesel and accept it could end up costing more to own it.

Fuel economy is an added bonus, you're paying for all the bits. And not many people bought the idea of it. It wasn't different enough for the regular populace to justify the expense. The diesel Cruzes (both gens) are "nicer" than the direct gas equivalent. (You need to add the convenience a pack to an LT to make it even)And get better fuel economy. But I think a Cruze SS (think Cobalt SS/TC)would have outsold the diesel versions, even if it was a $7000 premium over an LT. I would've bought a 250+hp 2.0T, 6M, big brake, limited slip version of my HB RL if it was another $3000 more money (it's already $4kbmore than an LT sedan) in a heartbeat.

The diesel would have to be a $1500 tops option and come with a 150k diesel specific warranty to get me to have spent my money on one when I bought my hatch. It was $3000 more, has same warranty, and I had to give up Redline package.
    Last edited by Ma v e n; 03-26-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Touring Champion
    It may be a Gen 2 forum, but the discussion has shifted, at this point, to discussion of gen 1 cars, as well, if you read the previous posts. That's what this was all related to.

And no, from a fuel economy standpoint it does not, unless you drive your car 200-300k miles...which some of the diesel owners here have. But you get a different experience, so in my mind, part of the cost is going to that, as well.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    When we bought our first Cruze a few years ago, I checked into the diesel. The premium was about 5,000 dollars.
    Are you one of those people that believes anyone pays MSRP for a Chevy?!

The price premium on the diesel is maybe $5,000... if you don't have rebates, incentives, and discounts. Keep in mind the base price of the Cruze was $17,995 for the L trim, and every dealership has exactly one of them that they park in the very back of the sales showroom and tell sales staff they will be fired if they ever actually sell it! All the rebates and incentives come with fine print that it doesn't apply to the L, so when Chevy offers $4,500 in rebates (as they did when I bought my car) it doesn't mean you can get a Cruze L for $13,495.

My diesel LT was $19,171. For about $1,200 more than the L trim I got a diesel engine and all the stuff that comes on the LT model.
    plano-doug likes this.

Z71
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    When we bought our first Cruze a few years ago, I checked into the diesel. The premium was about 5,000 dollars. No doubt, the diesel gets better mileage. And, even with the higher price of diesel, it still gets better dollar mileage. But it's a small difference. It will take a long time to get the added cost back.

For highway use, based on 38mpg at $2.63/gal of regular versus 48mpg at $3.02/gal of diesel, these numbers work out to be 6.9 cents/mile for regular versus 6.3 cents/mile for diesel.

At 0.6 cents (ie, 0.006 dollars) per mile difference, it takes roughly 800,000 highway miles to get that $5k back

Doug

This comparison of course assumes that nothing goes wrong with either car. I bet the diesel would require $ 5k more in repair costs by the time you covered those 800k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by armillner View Post
    Hi,

I have a 2018 Cruze "pepperdust" HB, diesel, 6-sp manual... and love it! Just wanted to see if anyone has the diesel Equinox and if anyone has thought of swapping the manual trans into the Equinox. I think it would be an awesome AWD with a 6-sp manual trans.

any thoughts?
    Have you driven an Equinox with the diesel yet? I was surprised. I own both, a 2018 Cruze Diesel Manual and a 2019 Equinox AWD premier. I can assure you the shifting is better on the automatic than I expected. It is not a slouch either. Plenty of power. Avg 34-37 hwy in it.
    2011 Cruze Eco 6-speed (sold)
    2018 Cruze TD 6-spd
    2016 Cummins Power Wagon 6-spd

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    This comparison of course assumes that nothing goes wrong with either car. I bet the diesel would require $ 5k more in repair costs by the time you covered those 800k miles.
    I wasn't assuming so much as I was just making the standard first order approximation, looking at fuel cost only. But you are correct, a more accurate cost model for the miles per dollar figure would include repair costs amortized over the period of ownership.

I agree, I suspect the repair costs are higher for the diesel, too. If not for being less reliable, then simply because diesel diagnosis, labor and parts cost more, I suppose.

If I am going to put up with the clattering, smoke and temperamental nature of a diesel, there needs to be a payoff in economy, no? Too bad there wasn't a big block option

Doug

Last edited by plano-doug; 03-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS

armillner is offline [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    Have you driven an Equinox with the diesel yet? I was surprised. I own both, a 2018 Cruze Diesel Manual and a 2019 Equinox AWD premier. I can assure you the shifting is better on the automatic than I expected. It is not a slouch either. Plenty of power. Avg 34-37 hwy in it.
    I haven't, the diesel versions aren't readily available where i live, they don't have stock of diesel equinox or cruze. I actually got my '18 Cruze from western PA as "used" from a Chevy dealer and drove back to GA. I'm keeping my eyes open for a local diesel equinox... sigh

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)