GM DEXOS 2 spec oil - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: GM DEXOS 2 spec oil

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    I have to ask: Why do you care?

I'm always an amateur study of people's brand preferences. One area where I just can't figure out why people care is motor oil. So, serious question: Why do you care?
    Where I worked previously, one of my tasks was to make sure all of the company vans were taken care of, we would take it to a little Castrol oil change place in town and after watching these vehicles rack up the miles and notice that after 200 or 300k they still didnt use any oil between changes, I was convinced, I use Castrol whenever I can in my vehicles. Well except for the ones that would burn or leak oil, then I would just use whatever I could find that was cheap.....
    CruzzieQ likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by sailurman View Post
    Castrol web site recommends Castrol Edge C3. Make sure "your guy" uses the correct oil. I've had "That Guy" put crap in when he said "Sure it's DEXOS2". I've had no problem with the Pennzoil. Those old favorite companies has been outdated BS for years now.

Castrol Edge Professional OE Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2C0919082 Global
    Castrol Edge Professional OE Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2C0919082 Global
    Castrol Edge Professional OE-X Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2C1120082 Global
    Castrol GTX MP Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 D20789IB082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2D0109082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 D20635HI082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Professional MP Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2D0110082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Professional MP Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2D0110082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Professional MP DX Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2D0112082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec SN/C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 D20637HI082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2E0131082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2E0131082 Global
    Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start SN/C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 D20636HI082 Global

Castrol Edge C3 Castrol Ltd. dexos2™ 5W-30 GB2E0209082 Global

Oh yeah, some of those little oil change places were known for saying they had the correct oil and just put whatever they had in their tank. That little place I took our company vans specially ordered a Castrol oil for a 2005 Sprinter I personally had and I seen the box it was in so I know it was the correct oil, but they sold that place to another person and when I went in there to get my Sprinter oil changed, they said oh that takes regular oil, thankfully they still had enough in that box to change it, never went there again after that.

I will have to try to find a place I can order the Edge C3 oil from.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    I won't use dealer oil because the car takes too long to cool down
    Cool down like what? Engine temperature?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    I won't use dealer oil because the car takes too long to cool down
    Cool down like what? Engine temperature?
    Yep

When you park your car at work for 10 hours+ in 60 degrees and your temp gauge reads 130.

I seen one brand in the semi that the temp gauge only dropped 20 degrees over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    What is your opinion on fully syntehtic DEXOS 2 spec 5W30 oil sold by GM dealers for use in diesel vehicles? is this decent quality oil to be used in Cruze diesel engine? In terms of maintaining the engine warranty, this oil is what GM prefers that we use. The price from my local GM dealer with the discount I get is not bad for this oil - under $ 6/quart. Because this engine eneds just over 5 quarts with the oild filter change, you need to get 6 quarts of oil per oil change. I used this oil for my first oil change. The total cost of 6 quarts of oil and the AC oil filter was about $ 45.
    I have used Amsoil for most everything in the last 10+yrs. Since I bought my Cruze a year ago I've been using the Amsoil, but have recently decided to purchase through the Chevy dealer now. It sounds like I get the same deal as you and since I deal with a specific Chevy dealership through work, it's more convenient than the Amsoil for me and cheaper too. I can't say I noticed a difference and really didn't think I would with a little diesel like this. I think it's personal preferences and what exactly you want out of it. All Dexos 2 approved oils will have the bare essentials to meet Dexos 2 specs, but some brands (like Amsoil) will have more properties that will appeal to those that might say it will make the engine last longer or they use it to prolong their oil change intervals. I'm fine with changing my oil exactly as the information center tells me to with dealer oil/filter. JMO
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
    110k Miles
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Projector Headlights w/6000k HID A/C 55w bulb kit and relay harness
    LED Smoked Euro-style Tail Lights
    Black Billet Aluminum Grilles (top, middle and lower)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jondaytona View Post
    I have used Amsoil for most everything in the last 10+yrs. Since I bought my Cruze a year ago I've been using the Amsoil, but have recently decided to purchase through the Chevy dealer now. It sounds like I get the same deal as you and since I deal with a specific Chevy dealership through work, it's more convenient than the Amsoil for me and cheaper too. I can't say I noticed a difference and really didn't think I would with a little diesel like this. I think it's personal preferences and what exactly you want out of it. All Dexos 2 approved oils will have the bare essentials to meet Dexos 2 specs, but some brands (like Amsoil) will have more properties that will appeal to those that might say it will make the engine last longer or they use it to prolong their oil change intervals. I'm fine with changing my oil exactly as the information center tells me to with dealer oil/filter. JMO
    We can all get into a huge can of worms here, but there are many differences between oils that can be explained on a technical level that some might just chalk up as "the engine not liking it."

One big advantage to AMSOIL lubricants is low volatility. The volatility of the oil matters a lot when we are talking about oil consumption through the PCV system. That oil will clog the DPF over time and result in emissions-related issues. A lower volatility oil will reduce the chance of emissions-related problems.

Another big advantage is shear stability. All else ignored, you'd probably be fine with just about any dexos2 spec synthetic oil, but the big difference is how well those oils handle conditions beyond the norm. Conditions like an injector leaking that you didn't know about before, causing high fuel dilution in the oil. Diesel oils especially can only stand so much fuel dilution before their ability to protect is severely compromised. With AMSOIL, we see the oil protecting with fuel dilution clear past 5%. Same for other high end diesel oils like LE (Lubrication Engineers).

At the end of the day, you have to make the decision if it's worth the nominal price increase to get the peace of mind and protection AMSOIL offers or if you are fine with just using something that's "good enough" like Pennzoil Euro or GM's dealer oil.

Brad tested AMSOIL's 5W-30 Improved ESP Euro Spec oil out to 100k miles without pulling the drain plug. Changed filters, had oil analysis done, and topped off a total of 5 quarts in that time. If that's not a proof of performance, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 04-01-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Tomko and KurtK like this.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    We can all get into a huge can of worms here, but there are many differences between oils that can be explained on a technical level that some might just chalk up as "the engine not liking it."

One big advantage to AMSOIL lubricants is low volatility. The volatility of the oil matters a lot when we are talking about oil consumption through the PCV system. That oil will clog the DPF over time and result in emissions-related issues. A lower volatility oil will reduce the chance of emissions-related problems.

Another big advantage is shear stability. All else ignored, you'd probably be fine with just about any dexos2 spec synthetic oil, but the big difference is how well those oils handle conditions beyond the norm. Conditions like an injector leaking that you didn't know about before, causing high fuel dilution in the oil. Diesel oils especially can only stand so much fuel dilution before their ability to protect is severely compromised. With AMSOIL, we see the oil protecting with fuel dilution clear past 5%. Same for other high end diesel oils like LE (Lubrication Engineers).

At the end of the day, you have to make the decision if it's worth the nominal price increase to get the peace of mind and protection AMSOIL offers or if you are fine with just using something that's "good enough" like Pennzoil Euro or GM's dealer oil.

Brad tested AMSOIL's 5W-30 Improved ESP Euro Spec oil out to 100k miles without pulling the drain plug. Changed filters, had oil analysis done, and topped off a total of 5 quarts in that time. If that's not a proof of performance, I don't know what is.
    I agree with ya for the most part. Like I said, I have an Amsoil dealer that I work with and have been a customer for over 10yrs. As far as "nominal price increase", from $5/quart for GM dealer oil to $9/quart Amsoil Euro is more than nominal in my opinion.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
    110k Miles
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Projector Headlights w/6000k HID A/C 55w bulb kit and relay harness
    LED Smoked Euro-style Tail Lights
    Black Billet Aluminum Grilles (top, middle and lower)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jondaytona View Post
    I agree with ya for the most part. Like I said, I have an Amsoil dealer that I work with and have been a customer for over 10yrs. As far as "nominal price increase", from $5/quart for GM dealer oil to $9/quart Amsoil Euro is more than nominal in my opinion.
    I wouldn't trust the OEM oil to protect the engine till the oil life monitor reaches 1%. I would trust AMSOIL to do that. On that basis alone, even ignoring "extended" service intervals, the cost factor becomes far less.

Between $5 a quart and $9 a quart is a difference of $20 on a single oil change. The percentage increase is high, but in the context of the cost of most automotive repairs and the cost of the vehicle itself, the difference is negligible. However, we go back to the question, "how long do you plan on keeping it?" If I wasn't a dealer, and I was leasing a car, I'd just run the cheapest oil possible and run the oil life monitor down to 1% and make it someone else's problem once the lease gets turned back in. However, I see cars as long-term investments, and plan accordingly for the future when I purchase them. My 2012 Cruze is still running excellently. I even go so far as to spray MPHD on any surface rust I find when I'm working on it so I can maximize the return on that investment.

I'm just pointing out here, for owners that plan on keeping these vehicles a while, there are worthwhile benefits that will provide long-term savings over using the cheapest option possible.
    Tomko and TDCruze like this.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

1st Gear
    When you park your car at work for 10 hours+ in 60 degrees and your temp gauge reads 130.

I seen one brand in the semi that the temp gauge only dropped 20 degrees over night.
    Ideally, you want engine/oil temperature to be at operating temperature as soon as possible. Cold starts cause the most wear to engines. An oil that magically keeps your engine warm overnight is the best oil to have.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    I wouldn't trust the OEM oil to protect the engine till the oil life monitor reaches 1%.
    Why not? Engine oil life monitors are notoriously conservative in their estimations.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)