If you like your fuel economy, choose your tires carefully - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: If you like your fuel economy, choose your tires carefully

Handbrake Released froyofanatic's Avatar
    Agree that it's probably the extra unsprung weight you're adding from the wheels, in addition to the added rolling resistance.

These 225 section tires on my RS stick like a mutherfunker but yeah, I'll never get those fuel economy numbers that you're talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    If you spend money on new wheels when the original wheels on your car were perfectly fine, you don't really have a basis to complain about fuel economy.

johnmo is offline [OP]
    1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    Seriously, I pay 15-25 $ per tire to add the warranty, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting my money's worth. It seems like, besides occasional 0-cost patches, I average one tire replaced per set due to some sort of hazard, whether it's one of my kids hitting a curb, or a nail in the shoulder (where it's unsafe to patch). I've had several tires replaced with the only cost being another 15-25 $ for the new warranty.
    With very, very few exceptions, I've bought the road hazard warranty and without exception I've never regretted it. I don't think I've ever had a set of tires where I didn't have to have at least one of them patched and there have been a few sets where I've had to have a replacement. The value returned on the number of replacements I've had to have probably covers the cost of all of the tire warranties I've bought.
    plano-doug likes this.
    Hidden Content

Total time in the shop: 8.5 weeks
    Current situation: All good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

johnmo is offline [OP]
    1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    If you spend money on new wheels when the original wheels on your car were perfectly fine, you don't really have a basis to complain about fuel economy.
    I'm such a complainer, man.

I've never been one to mod cars much, especially for looks. I went back and forth a long time before I convinced myself to drop the money on the wheels. My wife asked me what finally got me to do it. I told her it's cheaper than a Camaro. Fuel economy is still a lot better than a Camaro too.

I'm OK with trading off some fuel economy for some frivolous fun and better handling. But I was surprised by how much impact there was on fuel economy. Not so much a complaint as a warning to others.
    plano-doug and MRO1791 like this.
    Hidden Content

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmo View Post
    ...it's cheaper than a Camaro. Fuel economy is still a lot better than a Camaro too.
    Not near as much fun to drive tho...

johnmo is offline [OP]
    1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzen18 View Post
    Not near as much fun to drive tho...
    You're not wrong.

I've driven high-performance Camros and Mustangs. They're a blast. Can't see me doing a 100+ mile daily round trip in those though. I've got a little extra money to drop on fancy wheels, but I don't have stupid money for double the vehicle purchase price and twice as much on fuel.

Everything's a compromise.
    MRO1791 likes this.
    Hidden Content

1st Gear
    Metal will always weigh more than rubber by a huge margin. Wider rims and wider tires, then just make the difference even larger.

The mileage you get from a really worn out tire will always be much better than a stock tire. Did they do an alignment as well? That could seriously
    make that much difference if any angle was changed. The original spec is set for mileage I would think not handling.
    froyofanatic likes this.

Driver's Ed
    I just got my new tires yesterday (64K miles on OEM) and was talking to the sales guy about weight. I went with stock size tires while I looked at options. I would be interested in hearing your longer term report on MPG...My first full commute to work today I was at 57.1 which is still in my normal range.

If you could find the weight difference between stock and your new setup, Maybe you could find things to remove from the car to make up the diff.. just a thought..

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by rcruze View Post
    If you could find the weight difference between stock and your new setup, Maybe you could find things to remove from the car to make up the diff.. just a thought..
    or tune it to offset the difference of the extra weight and additional drag from the larger tires.

Handbrake Released
    Except you're talking unsprung rotational weight vs. sprung static weight, huge difference.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)