If you like your fuel economy, choose your tires carefully
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: If you like your fuel economy, choose your tires carefully

johnmo is offline [OP]
    1st Gear

If you like your fuel economy, choose your tires carefully

I was surprised and happy that I got over 60k miles out of the OEM Goodyear tires, but tire time came and I wanted some black wheels, so I went up to 17" wheels and put on some 205/55R16 Continental PureContact LS tires.

I'm not sure which piece of this setup is the biggest culprit, but my fuel economy dropped dramatically. In the middle leg of my commute where I used to routinely top 70 MPG on my last 25-mile average and where I've hit 80 MPG a few times, I struggle to top 60 MPG now. Hand-calculated tank averages are running 50-52 MPG, which, while still pretty respectable, is a big shift from the easy 55+ MPG I used to get. I doubt I'll see a 60 MPG tank with these wheels and tires.

The PureContact LS is listed an "Eco Foucs" tire and I have them aired up well above what's specified on the door sill. I guess there's something in the tread or tread compound or just that little bit of extra width that makes all the difference. It feels kind of like it did with the Goodyears when I was driving in the rain, which always ate into fuel economy a little.

Now, it handles great. The tires are slightly wider and the sidewall is stiffer and understeer isn't a thing any more. And it looks pretty sharp with the new wheels. But I really miss going 700 miles before the fuel light came on. I'm fueling up between 600 and 650 miles now.

So... choose carefully if you want to keep your fuel economy.
    obermd, CruzzieQ and Rivergoer like this.
    Hidden Content

Total time in the shop: 8.5 weeks
    Current situation: All good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    It's probably the wheels.
    obnxous likes this.

4th Gear
    Whats the difference in total wheel weight versus what you replaced. Wouldn't take much additional weight to affect the mpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

You indicate the new rims are wider. Wider tires have more rolling resistance.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Formula One Champion
    Go with the 17" ECO rims for the best weight savings - stock anyways
    guuyuk likes this.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

johnmo is offline [OP]
    1st Gear
    I went with RTX Black Widow wheels. I can't find any information about what they weigh, but it has to be a little more than stock. I was kind of surprised that neither the stock nor the custom wheels felt very heavy, but I'm not used to handling wheels without tires either.

Maybe I'll have the OEM wheels powder coated black and switch back in another 60k miles.
    Hidden Content

Total time in the shop: 8.5 weeks
    Current situation: All good.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

My initial impressions are that I seem to have lost about ~3 MPG switching from my worn out MXM4 to PureContact LS.

But I went up a size on sidewall (40 to 45), so the speedo is off by 2-3 MPH too.

Hopefully it will increase as they wear in a bit; this was my first highway trip with them. I am EXTREMELY happy with the tires otherwise.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Handbrake Released
    Yes tires have a big effect on mileage however my OEM Goodyears had more road damage than any tire Ive ever seen. By the time I replaced them I had at LEAST 12 patches in them leaving me limping to a tire shop and costing $30 each time. Before these tires, I've only had to patch 3 tires in my life (I've been driving for 15 years).

After that experience, I dont care how much tires save on fuel, that fuel savings doesn't cover all those patches and lost time at work having to deal with flats all the time. If I could I would run 10-ply, Load Range-E, Light Truck tires on my ECO just to never have a flat again.
    jblackburn likes this.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Hopefully it will increase as they wear in a bit; this was my first highway trip with them. I am EXTREMELY happy with the tires otherwise.
    Good point, new tires always have high rolling resistance.
    But if they're still doing it 5000 miles later...
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by RichLo1 View Post
    ...my OEM Goodyears had more road damage than any tire Ive ever seen. By the time I replaced them I had at LEAST 12 patches in them leaving me limping to a tire shop and costing $30 each time.
    You might be a good candidate for a road hazard warranty

Seriously, I pay 15-25 $ per tire to add the warranty, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting my money's worth. It seems like, besides occasional 0-cost patches, I average one tire replaced per set due to some sort of hazard, whether it's one of my kids hitting a curb, or a nail in the shoulder (where it's unsafe to patch). I've had several tires replaced with the only cost being another 15-25 $ for the new warranty.

Doug

johnmo likes this.
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)