New desoxD oil certification - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New desoxD oil certification

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    Oh....BTW....It's got internal drive chains and belts....Soak that it in. LOL
    Ford did that with their 3-cylinder Ecoboost. They discovered they could bathe a timing belt in engine oil with no ill effect, and it's basically a lifetime belt.

GM also did this to us with the Cruze diesel engine. The timing chain is on the back of the engine to dampen noise inside the transmission bellhousing. I shudder to think of the cost to change a timing chain if it starts to rattle or otherwise be defective. That will be an engine/transmission removal, split them apart, etc. Might as well throw a clutch, water pump, alternator, etc. in there and other maintenance items if you're going to invest in that much labor to take them apart.
    Yeah, the LH7 is a jewel with the back side timing and oil pump chains...But this mix of chain and belt is unique beyond that I feel.

There's gonna end up being Cruze(Equinox and Terrain) diesels that end up going to the crusher because they need timing chains. Timing chain is a 17+hr job under warranty. I'd guess out of warranty you're looking at 21-25hrs of labor. Add in the timing kit, the special tools, and all the fasteners, sealant, and seals that will be needed, not to mention the clutches that would likely get upsold as you mentioned, and timing issues are gonna condemn these cars. I've only seen one with an issue so far. It's a shitty job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Well, I hope that the timing chain will last up to 300K miles.... I am not looking forward to doing that work LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)