Filthy Air Filter and DPF issues.
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By oregon_rider
  • 1 Post By Barry Allen
  • 1 Post By oregon_rider
  • 1 Post By //oilburner

Thread: Filthy Air Filter and DPF issues.

Driver's Ed

Filthy Air Filter and DPF issues.

I have recently had issues with dpf plugged - engine power reduced and check engine light, etc. It went to the dealer and had a "service regen" performed in the parking lot. And it ran fine for another week and a half and set a code again...

The vehicle has 18k miles and, yes, it is occasionally driven on short trips - my daughter has it at college. So it isn't surprising we might have an issue with the DPF. But there had been no problems up to this point and she was actually taking more freeway trips than she had in the past.

I asked them to check the air filter - and they said they did and it was fine. They didn't and it wasn't...

I decided to replace it anyway and it was obvious that it hadn't been checked and was filthy/plugged.

My guess is that the DPF regen was being hampered because the engine was not running efficiently due to the plugged air filter.

The service interval for the air filter is 45k miles/4 years. After seeing what it looked like after 2 years and 18k miles, I am going to an annual replacement for the air filter.

Just a heads up to everyone here that you may want to ignore the owners manual for air filter service interval and replace it annually. I bought an ac delco filter through amazon for $25.

jeff
    Last edited by oregon_rider; 06-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    MRO1791 and BodhiBenz1987 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Did the air filter replacement resolve the issue? Is it Gen 1 or 2?

Handbrake Released BodhiBenz1987's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon_rider View Post
    I have recently had issues with dpf plugged - engine power reduced and check engine light, etc. It went to the dealer and had a "service regen" performed in the parking lot. And it ran fine for another week and a half and set a code again...

The vehicle has 18k miles and, yes, it is occasionally driven on short trips - my daughter has it at college. So it isn't surprising we might have an issue with the DPF. But there had been no problems up to this point and she was actually taking more freeway trips than she had in the past.

I asked them to check the air filter - and they said they did and it was fine. They didn't and it wasn't...

I decided to replace it anyway and it was obvious that it hadn't been checked and was filthy/plugged.

My guess is that the DPF regen was being hampered because the engine was not running efficiently due to the plugged air filter.

The service interval for the air filter is 45k miles/4 years. After seeing what it looked like after 2 years and 18k miles, I am going to an annual replacement for the air filter.

Just a heads up to everyone here that you may want to ignore the owners manual for air filter service interval and replace it annually. I bought an ac delco filter through amazon for $25.

jeff
    I wondered if my issues with regens had been due to this but I don't think my air filter looks too bad. Maybe I should check again. Not sure if this is standard to all of them, but mine has a sort of weird outer sleeve that makes it hard to see the filter itself, but I didn't want to peel it off.
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6T diesel sedan, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black leather
    Hidden Content
    1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel
    Hidden Content
    1978 Mercedes-Benz 240D manual
    Hidden Content
    2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
    Did the air filter replacement resolve the issue? Is it Gen 1 or 2?
    It hasn't happened again - but not enough time has transpired to draw any conclusions.

this is the gen 2 diesel sub-forum - and yes, it is a gen 2 - a 2017 diesel cruze sedan with Auto transmission

jeff

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
    mine has a sort of weird outer sleeve that makes it hard to see the filter itself
    I read somewhere that is a snow screen. Go ahead and take it off when you install the new air filter. It isn't catching much anyway.
    BodhiBenz1987 likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
    I read somewhere that is a snow screen. Go ahead and take it off when you install the new air filter. It isn't catching much anyway.
    yes. it is for snow - at least my old vw golf had same thing and this is what it was said to be for....

I would leave the white coarse foam on - it makes a nice pre-filter... It was holding a bunch of stuff on mine - it looked quite dirty so it was doing something - it is fairly coarse so it isn't restrictive and can only "do good"....

jeff
    Last edited by oregon_rider; 06-08-2019 at 03:24 AM.
    BodhiBenz1987 likes this.

Handbrake Released
    I did my first air filter at 25k miles and it wasnt horrible, I do them every 30k now and the 2nd 1 wasnt that bad either at 55k. I also do cabin and fuel filters at the same time.

My first 15k miles or so were mostly short with the occasional long trip and never had any issues. I've since taken a job over an hour away and still haven't had any problems.

Driver's Ed
    Well it happened again. Third time the code has been set on about 3 weeks of driving.

Second trip to dealer on issue happens tomorrow.....

Driver's Ed
    Those coarse screens actually serve a purpose - to catch aspirated stuff in the air. The worst airborne items besides dust is salt water from Winter road grime and living near the coast. You do not want salt building up in the air box (because the next stop is the engine). There may be on some car designs a post-engine air filter screen - do not remove that as well. It serves as a laminar flow element so that air speed inside the plenum meets the requirements for those downstream sensors like the MAF and delta-P sensors.
    plano-doug likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Update on new visit to dealer - they did another service regen. The day before service visit, I took it out on road and did a very long "italian tune up" - high rpm running to try to clear dpf and cat, etc. On trip to dealer the next day, it regen'ed quickly and down to 2% according to tech. When I got in car after the service - the soot load read 0% on my scangauge 2.

The tech thinks that the catalytic converter might also be plugged up from all the short trips over the last year - hopefully - the italian tune up helped clear it out. But talking to a friend of mine who is an ASE master tech - it might help "a little bit" - but it will take a long time to clear it out... Time will tell - will update this post again in a few weeks...

jeff

p.s. I like the info the scangauge 2 gives me. You are kind of blind without it. Difficult to program in "xgauges". Right now, I am showing soot %, regen status, and number of miles since last regen. Regen status doesn't show anything right now - I might have it programmed in wrong...
    Last edited by oregon_rider; Today at 03:40 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)