71K mile update
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcruze

Thread: 71K mile update

rcruze is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

71K mile update

So after driving my 2018 diesel 6 speed for 71K miles I think that the drive axles are starting to show wear. The car is dead quiet while driving along, but as soon as I start to turn I hear (and kinda feel) a metal friction noise. It could be nothing, But I would not be suprised to hear a front end clicking noise while turning sometime this summer. Then it will be time to replace the axles. I am planning on new belt and maybe a water pump this summer as well.

Other than that the car has been great, No major issues. All oil changes have been done, New tires, New air filter, New cabin filter, and 1 broken TPMS sensor.

If you need to keep the best MPG, really look at your tires when you need some. I got 60K out of the OEM tires and put on some cheap Sentury touring tires about 10K miles ago and have not been able to get back to the high 50's MPG on my commute.
    Carminooch likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    When was the last time you checked your brake pads?
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

1st Gear
    I'm right behind you in my 17 6 speed at 68k miles this morning. I haven't noticed any axle noise on mine, but my commute is almost entirely rural highway, so I expect the impact on axles, steering components and, well, just about everything, is low. I'm wondering if I might get 200k out of the brakes.

I also got a little over 60k miles out of the OEM tires. You are dead on about the fuel economy and the tires: If you like your fuel economy... I filled up this morning and see some shades of its former self, but getting 55 MPG was a lot more effort than it used to be. Before the new wheels and tires, this last tank would have probably been 60 MPG. Can't really complain about 55 MPG though.
    Hidden Content

Total time in the shop: 8.5 weeks
    Current situation: All good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Coming up on 60k miles myself (just under 59k), tires are on my soon list.

I've done engine, cabin, and fuel filters at 25k and 55k. Oil/filter about every 7.5k, currently using Schaeffers 8008 and OEM filter.

I've been debating on tranny flush (auto) and belt as well. Brake pads look great too.

Drag Racing Champion
    If you don't see torn boots on the axles. And grease splattered everywhere. There's nothing wrong with them.

They click and pop when in turns.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    If you don't see torn boots on the axles. And grease splattered everywhere. There's nothing wrong with them.

I've worked on ATVs for 11 years and their CV joints arent any different than cars (except for size) and when their popping they need replaced. Most generally because the boot has let all the grease out or just because of age.

Clicking/popping isnt normal by any means.

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaTech2016 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post

I've worked on ATVs for 11 years and their CV joints arent any different than cars (except for size) and when their popping they need replaced. Most generally because the boot has let all the grease out or just because of age.

Clicking/popping isnt normal by any means.
    Clicking popping is normal on turns when the boot tears and loses all it's grease. Now the joints are dried out.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

My 1.4 has always made a little bit of noise when turning near full lock...barely noticeable unless you are paying attention to it and have the radio off. The boots are fine.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed

71K mile update

I mean, sound is perceptive by the individual hearing it. Mechanical movement is going to make sound, but knowing what’s normal and not isn’t always easy. For instance, I can turn my wheels from left to right at a stop and hear a faint whining sound and the sound of tires moving on the pavement. As well as (faint) lash between the gears and joints within the steering assembly. Totally normal. A hair, less even. But noticeable, perceivable.

On the other hand, I watched a 99 Ford Taurus rage out in a mall parking lot a few weeks ago and absolutely rip it in reverse with wheels full lock to go around someone. Those axles were POPPIN AND KNOCKIN and boy was that trans screaming in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Carminooch; Today at 09:29 AM. Reason: Grammar

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)