N. American Cruze Diesel really has no tow rating ??!! - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: N. American Cruze Diesel really has no tow rating ??!!

So is the N American one built the same as the Australian? Can I throw a hitch on it and tow if I want to?

I would assume that doing so would probably void my warranty though...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Any car can tow provided that it has decent torque and brakes.
    Don't see how it could void your warranty unless tried to tow something stupidly heavy.
    Current car: 2013 Holden Cruze SRi 1.6T hatch
    Previous car: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Previous bike: 2009 Hyosung GT250R

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan of Aus. View Post
    Any car can tow provided that it has decent torque and brakes.
    Don't see how it could void your warranty unless tried to tow something stupidly heavy.
    Since the owner's manual specifically states not to tow, any transmission, brake, or suspension failures could be claimed to be a result of towing, even if they have nothing to do with the hitch (ie, used to mount a bicycle carrier on the back.) Thus is the sad state of affairs in the US.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    So is the N American one built the same as the Australian? Can I throw a hitch on it and tow if I want to?

I would assume that doing so would probably void my warranty though...
    I'm not sure whether N American one has the exact same transmission as the global, it might be different. And of course it has the Eco grill shutters which reduce airflow into the grill on the highway.

Is it possible the N American version also has a longer powertrain warranty? They may not want to guarantee the powertrain as long if someone were towing.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Since the owner's manual specifically states not to tow, any transmission, brake, or suspension failures could be claimed to be a result of towing, even if they have nothing to do with the hitch (ie, used to mount a bicycle carrier on the back.) Thus is the sad state of affairs in the US.
    If you didn't install the electrical connector kit for towing then you might be able to argue that the hitch was just used for a bike rack.
    Last edited by Eugene_C; 06-25-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    obermd likes this.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad
    Transmission is an Aisin unit instead of a GM unit.

With a bit of extra cooling, I think it could tow just fine. The transmission seems to be programmed slip the TC a lot though on the diesel for smooth shifts, which means lots and lots of heat.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    The trailer brakes on medium weight trailers used in Australia are an overrider type. They work by having a master cylinder mounted on the draw bar. The drawbar is telescipic with about a 2" travel and a coil spring to hold it tight. When braking the spring compresses and this activates the trailer brakes which are hydraulic. The harder you brake the more braking there is. To reverse a metal lever which is on a swivel clops over the tow hitch blocking the brakes from coming on. The trailer can have either drum or disc brakes, your choice. This means no tell tale on the car, all you have to do is explain the wiring for lights, indicatord etc.

my Cruze diesel 150 hp with 5-speed manual gearbox, made in korea, weighing 1250 kg, according to the manual can tow 750 kg and 1250 kg without brakes with brakes.
    The diesel Cruze coming to this part of the world (South America) is manufactured in Korea. The petrol engine is manufactured in Brazil.
    If I can later I upload a photo of the owner's manual.

mi cruze diesel de 150 cv, con caja manual de 5 velocidades, fabricado en korea, con un peso de 1250 kg, segun el manual puede remolcar 750 kg sin freno y 1250 kg con freno.
    El cruze diesel que viene a esta parte del mundo (sud america) es fabricado en korea. Los con motor a nafta se fabrican en brasil.
    Si puedo mas tarde subo una foto del manual del propietario.

World Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hernan l. View Post
    my Cruze diesel 150 hp with 5-speed manual gearbox, made in korea, weighing 1250 kg, according to the manual can tow 750 kg and 1250 kg without brakes with brakes.
    The diesel Cruze coming to this part of the world (South America) is manufactured in Korea. The petrol engine is manufactured in Brazil.
    If I can later I upload a photo of the owner's manual.

mi cruze diesel de 150 cv, con caja manual de 5 velocidades, fabricado en korea, con un peso de 1250 kg, segun el manual puede remolcar 750 kg sin freno y 1250 kg con freno.
    El cruze diesel que viene a esta parte del mundo (sud america) es fabricado en korea. Los con motor a nafta se fabrican en brasil.
    Si puedo mas tarde subo una foto del manual del propietario.
    Welcome to the forum. Interesting to hear the thoughts from people across the world!
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    The diesel engine in my car is a different one to Argentina as mine comes from Austria and the car is made in Australia. The engine has 161hp and 266f/lbs of torque and is a chain driven duel cam.

Attachment 180513
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

The Cruze Diesel in Argentina came to 2012 with engine VDCI 150 hp (LLW) 5-speed manual transmission and from there to the present with the engine of 163 hp (LNP) with 6-speed automatic transmission, only some came with 6-speed manual gearbox but no longer it sold more. My engine is manufactured in Korea by GMDAT (General Motors Daewoo Auto and Technology) is an engine for VM Motori (Italy) made to GM. The new I think it's an evolution of this also made by VM Motori.
    Leave a picture of my engine as the main diference with yours is the turbo position in front at 163 hp and 150 hp in the back. And mine has TIMING BELT.

IMG-20151206-00557.jpg

translated by Google!!! sorry!!! jaja.
    diesel likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now